406 glow plug issue maybe? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-16, 04:43 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 406 glow plug issue maybe?

Hi all. This might just be me. I've had my 2002 406 for 2 years now with no problems so far but as of late it's started to taken just a fraction longer turning over before it starts. I thought maybe glow plugs, then when I start reading about them there's not a lot in the user manual. When I turn on the ignition the glow plug light does not come on, then someone told me that unless the temp is at a certain level then they don't come on, but I would have thought that the dash should at least light up to let you know they are working even if they don't heat up. Is this correct, and if it is, is there any way for me to test them just so I know that they will work when they're needed. Thanks in advance.
frencheric69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-16, 04:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frencheric69 View Post
Hi all. This might just be me. I've had my 2002 406 for 2 years now with no problems so far but as of late it's started to taken just a fraction longer turning over before it starts. I thought maybe glow plugs, then when I start reading about them there's not a lot in the user manual. When I turn on the ignition the glow plug light does not come on, then someone told me that unless the temp is at a certain level then they don't come on, but I would have thought that the dash should at least light up to let you know they are working even if they don't heat up. Is this correct, and if it is, is there any way for me to test them just so I know that they will work when they're needed. Thanks in advance.
have a good read here especially point 6 https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...members-83170/

you have not put what engine details
Old 12-01-16, 05:08 PM   #3
Inactive User

H!
A 406 from 2002 only gives a few options 2.0 hdi 90 or 110..
I only see glow plug light / preheat symbol when its very cold.. 406 hdi 110 2001....
regs

Old 12-01-16, 05:09 PM   #4

that would be because the hdi engine does not need glow plugs for starting until about -20c

hdi engine taking longer to start could mean the following
bad battery or earth connection
bad starter connection
bad battery
bad starter
Old 12-01-16, 05:39 PM   #5

Starter or bad injector assuming battery is good bad starters are common now due to age.

If it runs fine once started then i would replace the starter they get old and slow with time fine in summer struggle in winter.
Old 12-01-16, 07:05 PM   #6
Inactive User

Default Thanks

Thanks for that people. Sounds like that unless you actually do a physical electrical test then you're not likely to know if they're working or not. I would have thought -20 was a tad too cold, if it gets that cold here I won't be going out of the house to test it that's for sure..
frencheric69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-16, 07:26 PM   #7

ALL modern diesels will start without glowplugs some do not even have any ! its due to the way fuel is injected an easy test would be to unplug the glowplug relay it WILL still start.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in