406 Dashboard instruments stopped working - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-09-13, 02:00 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 406 Dashboard instruments stopped working

406 HDI executive 2.0L Y2000, D9 Architecture
Intermitent problem with dash board clocks started about 4/5 months ago but now is permanent.
Oil temp guage working but fuel guage and water temp gauges not working, speedo and rev counters not working.
Indicator signals not illuminating on dashboard even though indicators are working fine.
Also dash board lights, engine warning lights stuck on when vehicle is switched off and locked.
Radio and exterior temperature gauge not working but clocks and time and date working.
Odometer and trip computer not working, just showing ''00000000''
Exterior lights all ok and engine running smoothly.
Vehicle continues to drive as normal.

History
Passenger tail light was leaking so sealed it up
Took car to auto electrician he removed faulty CD multi changer from boot.
Was unable to clear some permanent faults with computer

Took to Peugeot the following faults showed up but they were unable to clear, said the BSI was faulty

BSI Siemens
Permanent Fault : No communication - With the instrument panel
Permanent Fault : No communication on the data wire
Intermittent fault : No communication - With the display

Got second hand BSI and dashboard and replaced, made no difference.
Checked connectors under drivers footwell, they looked ok tho the foam under carpet was damp, could this dampness cause this??

Yesterday i noticed a weird noise in behind the dash, like a grinding noise when you switch on the iginition. Also fan blower comes on and temp is stuck at 28C.

It just seems there's something different every day with the electrics in this car. Please help!
akelly48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-09-13, 02:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelly48 View Post
Checked connectors under drivers footwell, they looked ok tho the foam under carpet was damp, could this dampness cause this??
Absolutely. There are some other threads on here about it.
Old 01-10-13, 10:11 AM   #3
Inactive User

Default Dashboard now working, tho other gremlins are still there

Automechanic got to the bottom of this problem. Turns out it was the communicatons cable that runs from the dashboard to the central processing unit. There must have been a short in the cables somewhere. He was able to bypass it and now my instruments panel is working.

However my radio and rear demister is not working, don't think was anything to do with the dashboard by pass, think my applicances are failing one after the other, fuses are ok, most likely the cables shorting out. Anyone seen this issue before and have any advice
akelly48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-13, 01:53 PM   #4

Check below drivers carpet for wet and rotten wires

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-07-16, 04:40 PM   #5
Inactive User

Thumbs up Resolving failure of dashboard instruments.

Dear friends,

I had similar issue with my 406;Ew10 engine;prestige. all dashboard equipment's (temperature meter, fuel gauge, rev meter,speedometer, ignition battery indicator,) were all shut down.

thanks to this site, though checking the four connectors below the drivers rug (foot position) was not enough as all pins were properly cleaned and all wet cables dried.

This does not rule out the root-cause of fault as presence of water under the rug

It took a detailed auto tech to further trace the bunch of cable from the connector below the rug and tracing each cable backwards to the drivers seat. specifically under the drivers seat (under the rug), there are cable joints (on red and white wires), try to pull to ensure they are firmly joined; not destroyed by moisture.

summarily this fault is caused by opens circuit (cut cables).

changing the BSI should be the last option.
paulejiba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-19, 02:26 PM   #6

Hi My car is Peugeot 406 96 2.0 16valve xu10.The Speedo,rpm,oil pressure,fuel gauge,all stop working. Only the temperature guage works. Though sometimes everything works and stop. Its like something is having partial contact. Pls tell me all the places I can check.

Last edited by Hassankhalid; 09-10-19 at 02:32 PM.
Hassankhalid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in