406 clutch M/C - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-07-13, 10:36 AM   #1

Default 406 clutch M/C - Fixed!.

How do you change the clutch master cylinder on a 2001 406 hdi?.
I looked through the forums and can't find any reference as to how it's done, I had a look yesterday and couldn't even see the damn thing in the engine bay.
I guess I'm missing a trick somewhere, I would never have found out where the fan resistor was located on my wifes 307 without this forum, here's hoping someone will come up trumps for me again.
Thanks in anticipation;

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; 28-07-13 at 09:46 AM.
rustyroger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-07-13, 10:44 AM   #2

Think

Brake master feeds master clutch with fluid at clutch pedal then from master clutch goes to slave near bulkhead

Chapter 6 Haynes

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
border_all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-07-13, 10:44 AM   #3

Is this any help:

Old 23-07-13, 08:19 AM   #4

Thanks, Gibbo - very helpful.
What a pain to get at everything, but it's out now.
Curiously the new parts from our local Peugeot dealer are cheaper than from the local motor factors, and as it turned out only the dealer could supply the correct part for the car in question.
If the new parts manage 170k miles like the originals I suppose the difficulty working on the car isn't so bad.

Roger.
Old 13-12-13, 06:07 PM   #5
Inactive User

I am trying to get Clutch Master Cylinder out of 406 diesel estate. I have never seen anything so difficult in 40 yrs. I have disconnected the tubes, made the tool and unscrewed 45deg (not 90 like Haynes say). It is looser but still not coming seems jammed at the South West/bottom left viewed from front. Did you remove servo, brake m/cyl and actuating rod? The plastic rod extension inside the footwell broke. I wonder if I get this fixed there may be a fault inside the bellhousing, which caused the mechanism to brake when I tried to push down against BIG resistance
misternick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-12-13, 05:04 PM   #6
Inactive User

got it out now, turn 45deg clockwise viewed from front. have reassembled 5 times but still leaking from pressure side coupling. need parts diagram! wonder am i missing an o ring?
Old 21-12-13, 05:22 PM   #7

You have probably dropped the little rubber seal from the end of the pipe that's why it wont seal Peugeot wont sell the seal on its own just go to scrappy and get one from the slave cylinder of any pug with hydraulic clutch all the seals are the same size
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-12-13, 05:38 PM   #8
Inactive User

Wow! that was quick. Was beginning to work it out, there is an o ring on the outside of the split plastic coupling that fits on the end of the pipe and enters the elbow, but nothing that stops the fluid creeping between the pipe and that coupling.
Dont want to seem too opportunistic but do you have a reliable site for decoding pug 206 radio. The web is full of tricksters!
Old 21-12-13, 05:43 PM   #9

The seal im talking about fits snuggly in the socket the pipe goes into it usually comes out attached to the pipe on removal it then falls off

Cant get 206 codes by serial PM betty if your radio is original he can get it from Peugeot

Otherwise a radio decode place is only other way they can read it from the chip
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-12-13, 06:15 PM   #10
Inactive User

Default seal

many thanks, when you look back the clues were there, and having a bad back at the time I missed things. I could see no o ring on the insert, assumed it had disappeared and fitted a new one. Also I wondered why the pipe had a 3mm extension past the shoulder. The seal is purpose made to fit over that. Got one as you suggested, put it all back , no leaks ,tried to press pedal down after bleeding, but broke plastic extension on master cylinder push rod as before!
Clear that major fault inside bellhousing so ordered clutch assembly, and will fit later as this is familiar territory. Not looking forward to doing it outside in this weather.
Will try and get the radio code from Betty(?) thanks for the tip
nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in