406 2.2 hdi estate 2003 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-05-14, 09:59 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 406 2.2 hdi estate 2003

Hi everyone . Im new to the site. I have recently purchased a 2003 model 406 2.2 hdi estate.
I had the brakes done . Wheels balanced. Tracking sorted. It ran nicely but it was showing the antipollution fault on the screen and when plugged into machine the turbo solenoid valve fault showed up. This has now been replaced with new valve. The car started to run nicely and i drove it to north wales at the weekend. I have experienced many faults on the car whilst away. Anti pollution, abs brakes, fuel cap open, airbags, brake system failed, anti theft system fault. The list is growing but if the car starts to lag in performance I simply stop turn it off for 20 seconds restart and it runs ok again. I have kept it topped up with diesel and it gave me 47 mpg over 210 mile trip which I thought was good.
A immediate thought I have is could it be the engine computer as I can drive the car ok still and am sure the fault displays im seeing are not actually happening.
any thoughts would be much appreciated as its a lovely car and I dont want to give up on it just yet as I only just bought it ! Lol. Thanks.

Phil
phil76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-05-14, 10:37 PM   #2
Ginger Magic

Hi Phil, welcome to the forum.

I have had a 2.2Hdi for a few years now and some faults have reared their ugly heads....

Its worth investing in Peugeot Planet to identify exactly what the faults are and clear them.

Anti-pollution and fuel flap can be dealt with by a de-fap, airbags is normally the connectors under the front seat etc.

I did a 220 mile round trip yesterday with some ' enthusiastic ' driving. My car is remapped at around 160bhp, simplified vacuum systems etc etc and I got an average 45 mpg...

I do advise joining 406oc.co.uk ‚ÄĘ Index page as they have been an absolute godsend for me and my 406s, and also 406 Coupe Owners Club for all the help you need with the fantastic DW12 engine....

This site is a very good forum, but the other 2 are more specific to the 406.

Kelv.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-05-14, 10:40 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks for the advise mate. I read on another site its a possible esp ecu fault. Ill check out the sites you have recommended. Speak soon .

phil
phil76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 27-05-14, 12:03 PM   #4
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil76 View Post
...it was showing the antipollution fault on the screen and when plugged into machine the turbo solenoid valve fault showed up. This has now been replaced with new valve. ... I have experienced many faults on the car whilst away. Anti pollution, abs brakes, fuel cap open, airbags, brake system failed, anti theft system fault.
The anti-pollution fault message is triggered by a lot of different underlying fault codes, so when this happens you need to get the fault codes read -- as you have done -- to find out what it's actually complaining about.

Turbo solenoid valve can be the valve itself, or it could be a vacuum leak. These engines have a relatively complicated vacuum system, and it turns out to be a common source of trouble.

Again for the ABS the fault needs reading. Common problems are bad sensors and cracked reluctor rings.

Fuel cap: check the magnets are there. Fault codes might give more clues...

Airbag: almost certainly a bad connection in the wires under one of the front seats. Simply wiggling them was enough to keep my airbag happy for months.

Theft system: most likely thing is the aerial round the ignition barrel that reads the chip in the key. Again, get the fault codes read.

I expect you feel a bit sick having bought a new car and discovering this list of problems. But don't worry; it's not as bad as it looks. All of these issues are common, with the right help it's easy to diagnose what's causing them, and there are cheap fixes. Stick with it!
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-05-14, 12:31 PM   #5

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...members-83170/

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...gnostic-28190/
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in