406 2.1td difficult starting and occasional rough idle - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-02-14, 08:29 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 406 2.1td difficult starting and occasional rough idle

Evening all, latest saga in the running of an old pug has occurred, wife had mentioned a couple of times that the car was running "chuggy" then last saturday got a call off her to say it wouldnt start, listening to it down the phone sounded like fuel starvation, firing but not running, when got home she had the AA out and he had got it going and reckoned it was a leaky injector filling the cylinder with diesel overnight and so stopping it from starting in the morning, on his advice it has been to garage all injectors checked out ok, so now 200 lighter we've got it back still doing the same! I checked/changed the fuel filter out of interest when it came back and the filter was black and there was quite abit of sediment in the filter housing cleaned it out and fitted new filter , opened it up tonight and it has more in it, it either starts knocking loudly or shuddering like fuel starvation, can't find any obvious air leaks in the diesel system so am after any suggestions as to what to check next?
edwin6985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-02-14, 04:12 PM   #2
Inactive User

anyone any idea's at all, even if think it's something stupidly simple am all ears!!
Old 27-02-14, 07:01 PM   #3
Inactive User

Where have you been buying your fuel? Have you been putting any other liquids in with the diesel?

Sent from my C6603 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
davie206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 27-02-14, 07:07 PM   #4
Inactive User

Look up Asphaltenes in your fuel

Sent from my C6603 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
davie206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-14, 01:33 PM   #5
Inactive User

wife filled it up at the local supermarket....one that's known to flood and did wonder if there was something in it, but we ran it down as much as dared (fuel indicator doesn't work neither lol) and refilled it at a decent usually use garage but I guess as we didn't know how empty was the stuff from supermarket would've mixed in again! would this cause these problems presenting, when we parked it up the other way around so the drivers side was up on the kerbside, this morning it started first time, bit chuggy for a few seconds rather than the 5 minutes once get it going otherwise but didn't have to drag start it half a dozen times to clear the backlog of diesel in it as it fired straight up!
Old 19-05-14, 10:40 AM   #6
Inactive User

First off, there is nothing wrong with supermarket fuels. They all come from the same place but 'branded' fuels have additives for better starting, better consumption etc.
As to your first problem, my initial thought is that you are probably running near the bottom of the tank and pulling all the accumulated crud through into the filter, and judging by your description, it sounds as if it was blocked causing poor starting and power loss.
As to your current problem, try using the hand primer before starting. It would be useful to know how much pumping is required before it goes hard, or is it hard already?

Edit: Just noticed how old this thread is, so guess it is fixed by now. Don't know why it came up as a New post!
Rolebama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-05-14, 02:55 PM   #7
Inactive User

rolebama appreciate the input and while it's an old post I'll clear up a few things, the supermarket like said in previous posts is known to flood, there is I've since discovered a notable amount of folk in the area who filled up there have had engine problems since, wife forgot in a momentary relapse to not get fuel from there, when I said she 'filled it up' I mean she put fuel in it weekly for a few weeks (wasn't clear there I guess), it's never been filled up from empty and she never EVER lets it run down on dregs, she's paranoid about not running out of fuel which is why it's never below half a tank in her cars! she fills it up every weekly payday which cost her 20 at most to fill up the Pug so you can see the amount that was going in, of course over the time as she kept popping in thinking all well, more of this fuel was in than other, it ran for 8 months no problem, sweet as you like until she put that fuel in, within a month issues started, we'll be agreeing to disagree on it being the cause because I'm certain it was to do with it, yes it all comes from one of the 9 refineries in the UK I know however they are known to put additives in their fuels and it's this which causes problems - the additives, why they do when everyone says how crap their cars run on it I'll never know but hey ho, each supermarket/garage is different in what they add to their fuels, whatever this one puts in, or it's floodwater or whatever, it's evidently causing problems (for this one am so glad our town has a 'spotted' page because it turned out quite a few have had issues)

It must be the only supermarket petrol station that's empty...lets put it that way with nuff said!! lol

The car had a full tank, it'd never gone under half a tank of diesel I'll say that again so there is no way at ALL it was 'dragging up crud' from the bottom of the tank in fact, the flaming thing went with a full tank when scrapped, I'd have drained it but what was the point when feel that was the cause!

that said, the car died anyway, it had injectors, etc tested and was nothing wrong, to outward appearances it was fine, all tests came back ok but it still ran rough, chugged, the full works, the only thing being floaters in the diesel, I could have drained the tank, flushed and refilled I guess but as it had a clutch issue that was getting worse and other little things that would cost to repair it, we decided to scrap it so it's gone, moot points I know but safe to say after 4 experiences with pugs that have paid a good price for I won't be getting another in a rush, mechanics seem clueless with them these days!!!

tried the filter thing too - twice, I was loathe to let it go thinking was something simple, honestly it was that long ago I can't remember on the priming it now, though is worth noting that parked the opposite way it started no problem at all....which was told ruled out the filter anyway as if was that it would've caused it to not start no matter how was parked (which is why sent injectors off to be tested as mechanic said is how it was presenting like an injector seal had failed!)

their final thought was it was a rare pug fuel injector failure, way more than the car to start tinkering with that sadly

thanks anyway!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in