406 2.0 Hdi ( 2000 ) non starting . - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-09-17, 01:18 PM   #1

Default 406 2.0 Hdi ( 2000 ) non starting .

I have read several forums about this issue , so i realise many will be used to this being asked .

Car's is a year 2000 406 2.0 Hdi estate with Bosch fuel system.

Car ran fine , had been out and stopped and restarted 4 times on a trip , got home parked it , then 1 hour later , wouldn't start .

Diagnosed a failed lift pump in tank - wouldn't work even if supplied by independent 12v . Replaced , as well as filter , now fuel getting up to High pressure pump . Still wouldn't start .

No fuel came out of high pressure pump while cranking ( at pipe to common rail )
replaced fuel regulator , still won't start .

Replaced high pressure pump and multi function relay and also the crank sensor . Nothing . tried tow starting , nothing .

Have checked and replaced timing belt / timing as precaution .

Have done some checks on the electrics ( from forum )
Have got 12v to terminals 3,8,11 &15 on multi function relay.
Tank pump runs if 4 & 8 are bridged .

Was led to believe that the fuel rail sensor plug should have 5v feed at 3rd terminal and with key on should have 0.5v on 2 - But I have 0v on 3 ( key on or off ) and 9v to 2 . Any ideas , what controls this plug - relay , ecu ? or does anyone know where the other end of this bit of the loom goes ?
Have checked the short lead that runs from the sensor to the yellow connector at the bottom of the engine block , all OK - where does it go from here ?

Some of this may be of some use to the thread a few below this one .

Any advice gladly received ( I do realise that the pipes should be replace if undone and the safety issues of the high pressue system ) . Many thanks , Regards Al

Last edited by Capri71CM; 25-09-17 at 02:05 PM.
Capri71CM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-09-17, 03:36 PM   #2

You NEED live data readings replacing stuff like you have rarely works

You CANNOT test for fuel pressure by opening a union as an open union will be seen by the ecu as a leak and it shuts down.

Live data
cranking speed 250rpm
cam and crank sync yes
fuel pressure 298 bar

These are all the engine needs to see if it sees these while cranking it should start.

Is the key still recognised (beep test)
Old 20-10-17, 02:58 PM   #3

Thanks for reply , had to wait for someone who could do a live data reading . While i was waiting i have checked the wiring from the ecu to all sensors and across to the fusebox , have stripped and cleaned all the connectors on the fusebox .

The car beeps if the key is left in the ignition and the door is opened .

This was not a peugeot tool , it was a snap on machine , this is what it came up with .

P 0100 flow sensor signal
P 0230 fuel pump in tank supply
P 0380 pre heating relay circuit
P 0180 fuel temp signal
P 1112 fuel rail pressure
P 0190 fuel pressure signal
P 1614 rail pressure sensor sensor supply fault . supply outside tolerance.

( i know the descriptions aren't exactly what the peugeot list of these faults says )

It also read between 225 and 257 cranking RPM
1081 bar rail pressure ( removed sensor from rail but left it plugged in , it still read 1081 bar ! )
re fitted old sensor , read 0 off car and 300 when cranked ( but doesn't appear to be any fuel in the common rail )
didn't do a cam / crank synch as an option , but he said something would have indicated a fault if they weren't right . Have re checked the timing when refitting original pump .

Rebuilt the high pressure pump , but the one way valve on the inlet side ( supply from filter ) doesn't work , you blow or suck through it . Have put pump back on and fitted a one way valve in the pipe supplying the high pressure pump and it still won't start .

Can the fuel pressure regulator on the back of the pump cut off the fuel going into the rail entirely ? or does it just vary the pressure ?

As a matter of interest , when the original pump was on the bench i refitted the regulator from the second hand pump on , so not to lose the bolts or get any dirt in the pump . When i turned the spindle about 1/2 a turn the fuel squirted out of the union which supplies the rail !

Many thanks , regards Al

Old 20-10-17, 05:35 PM   #4

Your fault codes are all saying to me your ecu is not being powered up or you have a common earth issue for all the items listed

300 bar is correct cranking reading your cranking speed is high enough so it must be something purely wiring related stop swapping bits around you will just end up even more confused

Pumps rarely fail non starts are nearly always wiring issues

Pump just pumps the regulator always allows fuel through

ECU needs to see the signals i mentioned earlier if it sees them it allows the injectors to open if it does not it will not open injectors 1 of your signals for the 3 things mentioned is missing

cam sync can only be checked with live data it does NOT throw a fault code
Kabonde likes this.
Old 20-10-17, 05:42 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Moved to 406 forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have owned: '00 Speedfight2 50cc '96 106 1.5d Escapade '97 306 1.9d D-turbo '99 306 1.9d D-turbo '03 307 2.0hdi 110 Rapier '06 307 2.0hdi 136 XSI '04 Peugeot 206 2.0hdi XSI
stevoxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-10-17, 11:31 AM   #6

Thanks again for your reply . I did check the earths from the ECU . Pins 33 , 49 , 51 and 53 on the ECU plug all have continuity to the earth point on behind r/h strut . Also getting 12v feed on 1 , 29 , 69 and 87 . Also wires from multi function relay to ECU plug have continuity , and glow plug relay , inertia switch also relative earths or power to MAP , rail sensor , cam and crank sensors to the ECU or the relative part they are connected to .

What i don't understand is why there doesn't seem to be any fuel coming out of the high pressure pump to the fuel rail . I've retested that the low pressure pump supplies the fuel right up to where it enters the high pressure pump and if the regulator always allows some fuel to pass through - why isn't something coming out of the pump .

Am i correct in thinking that if the ECU sees something out of it's parameters that it stops the injectors from firing ? So the fuel rail should have filled anyway ?

The mechanic who came round with the machine for the live data , said that some Fords are very difficult to start even if you have only changed the filter . He tried undoing the union at the injector while cranking to see if air or fuel came out - neither did . I know the 406 HDi is a self bleed system - would that still self bleed if the fuel rail is empty ? If the rail is empty would the pump compress the air enough to give a reading during the live data test ?

Once again , many thanks for taking the time to reply . regards Al
Old 21-10-17, 12:33 PM   #7

You CANNOT open any high pressure pipe and test for fuel the ecu will not allow fuel to flow if there is an open pipe as it sees no pressure so thinks there is a leak at best you will get a dribble its not a good test.

If those fault codes are still active then thats where you problem is not fuel get some carb cleaner or similar and spray it into intake while cranking the engine should fire if it does then something is stopping the fuel or sensors are not getting/giving the required signals
Old 21-10-17, 01:50 PM   #8

Thanks again . How does the ECU stop the fuel flowing ? does it shut off the low pressure pump ?

I can't remember if the codes are still active or if they were cleared , i will have to try to get them checked again .

I'll try it on easy start and see what happens .
Old 21-10-17, 01:56 PM   #9

Low pressure pump only runs if engine runs it primes with key on but stops if engine not started and only restarts when engine is running i believe the ecu will shut this down in leak conditions but the main control is the pressure regulator if it sees a leak it will dump any pressure back to the tank.
Old 21-10-17, 02:05 PM   #10

I went to edit that post , but you replied before i had a chance .

You can hear alot of fuel going back to the tank .

I was going to say that the code P 1614 about voltage , that was low but it was correct after i cleaned all the connectors and fuse box etc . That was fixed prior to reading , so i think that was not a live one now . But the description is different on a list of Peugeot codes i found , it list it as p1614 - loss of RIM serial data . ?

the P 0100 flow sensor signal - what or where is that sensor ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in