406 1.8 16V petrol - 96 won't start - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-16, 07:59 PM   #1

Default 406 1.8 16V petrol - 96 won't start

Hi all. My old work horse refused to start one morning. Immo shows green after entering the PIN code. Thought it was the fuel pump but it works fine. ECU just don't control fuel nor ignition relays. Tried another ECU, didn't help..... Groundings checked. All help highly appreciated!
PsaBaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-16, 08:58 PM   #2

You cant try another ecu it is matched to your keypad !

If keypad going green its not the immobiliser check all fuses in under bonnet fusebox you are missing a power feed also check the isolator button under bonnet
Old 13-08-16, 09:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the fast reply! I thought it has to be an ECU issue so ordered one from the eBay with same product numbers. Of course there was no PIN code for that particular unit along the shipment. By using the owner's manual I could change my own PIN code to that ECU though. Maybe it was resetted somehow.....? Anyway keypad shows green and the red light turns off in the dash with that ECU also.

I have opened the lid from the ECU and measured all the groundings and operational voltages from the pins of the connector inside the box. Also checked all the "field" components You can deduce something with resistance value by using Haynes schematics. Tested also the fuel pump control circuit by a jumper in the ECU connector. Isolator button mentioned is in the series of the fuel pump and tested that way.

Just remembered there's still a blown fuse for the headlight washer I have ignored. There can't be anything crucial behind that one, haven't used washers for years... Anyway has to check that also

Old 13-08-16, 01:51 PM   #4

That does not seem right the wrong ecu should show a red light as the unlock command is being sent to the wrong ecu and would come back as no can do

People always blame ecu for issues but the ecu is rarely the real problem its nearly always wiring related.
Old 13-08-16, 02:02 PM   #5

Before you go to all this trouble with an ECU,that reliable406 quite rightly says is very rarely the cause of a problem.Fit a new multi fuction relay,its in the box with the ECU.
My wife's old 16v 406 would often just refuse to start,tried everything,I was advised by a Peugeot expert to replace the relay and bingo its started on the button ever since.
One tip,get a genuine dealer one,not a cheap copy.
Attached Thumbnails
m-f-relay.jpg  
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-08-16, 02:26 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. You're both right. Also an authorised dealer said there haven't been any ecu issues with these motors. The multi function relay was the first component to check. It works well. ECU just refuses to control it... How is this first era immo made? It consists of the brilliant keypad, red led on the dash and an EEPROM inside the ECU? Haynes do not show any modules....
Old 13-08-16, 02:32 PM   #7

The keypad sends an unlock signal to the ecu and if it matches the ecu unlocks its that simple !!

Once unlocked you can actually unplug the keypad and the ecu remains unlocked !!

All the immobiliser gubbins are in the keypad.
Old 13-08-16, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
The keypad sends an unlock signal to the ecu and if it matches the ecu unlocks its that simple !!

Once unlocked you can actually unplug the keypad and the ecu remains unlocked !!

All the immobiliser gubbins are in the keypad.
We did that with our key pad,unplugged it when the car was running and never used the stupid thing for years.
By the way,have you checked the wires going to the key pad multi plug? they can break.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-08-16, 02:40 PM   #9

Ok. Just what I thought. The keypad was removed when this non-starting started I've read the immo still can get activated after a couple of years. Luckily this motor is no longer in every day traffic but it would be a shame to waste a decent motor )
Old 13-08-16, 02:40 PM   #10

HI...my son had a laguna with a card/button start and after a non start while on holliday he called the rac who after fitting a new battery (apparently french batterys are crap)diagnosed ecu fault.Recoverd the vehicle to me and checked enrgising wire to starter motor while pressing button.....replaced starter ...all ok......just a thought...good luck
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in