2001 406 blower mower dead - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-09-14, 08:41 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 2001 406 blower mower dead

I have a friends 2001 406 with a dead blower motor, and at this time I havent seen the car or had a chance to have a poke about with a meter etc. so I apologise for lack of detail.

i have read allsorts on the net, but I thought best to ask you learned Peugeot chaps to get good info.

I have read its a common problem, and from what im told it does not work on any speed, so can I discount the resistor pack ?
What are the common causes of the failure and is it an DIY fix to change a motor over ?
efiste2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-09-14, 09:39 PM   #2
Ginger Magic

There are only really 3 things that go wrong with these blowers.

1) The resistor, which is the most common.
Looks like this PEUGEOT 406 (1999-2004) HEATER BLOWER FAN RESISTOR 6441L2 7701048390 | eBay and it needs a 6mm socket to remove the bolt which is a bit hidden behind the centre console, accessed from under the carpet below the glovebox.

2) The ignition barrel - not as bad as it seems as you only need to replace a small section.
Looks like this Ignition Switch Cables Wires Lock Barrel Plug PEUGEOT 406 1999-2004 OE QUALITY ! | eBay

3) The blower itself, but not that common.

I would plump for the resistor, you can sometimes get it to come to life by putting the blower on full speed with engine running, and wiggle the wires leading up to the resistor, or wiggle the key in the ignition.

Last edited by Ginger Magic; 15-09-14 at 09:40 PM. Reason: I'm eating Parma Violets....
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-09-14, 07:16 PM   #3
Inactive User

Have a bit more info now as I have been to have a poke about, I have removed the motor which is not running at any speed selected. there is 12v at the blower motor plug. The blower motor has only TWO connections and has NO control module bolted to it. I could not see any resistor pack, but its only when I returned home and read your post again that the heater resistir pack is behind the CONSOLE and not the glovebox where I have been searching. could you be more specific to the whereabouts of the resistor pack is.
The motor spins freely when connected to a 12v source off the car.
The car has A/C and climate control, but im told the A/C isnt cold. could it be that the resistor pack is open circuit enough to allow Volts through but any current is blocked.

Old 17-09-14, 07:34 PM   #4
Ginger Magic

I'm not sure how the resistor works to be honest, I'm no sparky, but I should imagine it will resist no volts, hence full power - or resist all volts - no power to fan..??

The resistor is tricky to see, but if you follow the thick wires from the motor, towards the drivers side they will lead you to it, you can just see the green connector block with a 6mm bolt just above it.

I don't believe the lack of blower will affect the coldness of the A/C.....
Old 17-09-14, 07:47 PM   #5
Inactive User

a very poor joint in a wire can allow a volatge to be seen at its termination, but if any current/energy tries to pass, the poor connection hampers it.

The AC doesnt affect the blower motor, i just mentioned it in case it had an effect on the control module.

Going back tomorrow armed with your info, and also check this 40A fuse problem that gets quite a lot of conversation on the net.

Do you know where the control panel is hiding.

Thanks so much for your assistance again
Old 17-09-14, 08:10 PM   #6

If it has aircon then the resistor should be in the fan motor case IE its all 1 unit
Old 17-09-14, 08:46 PM   #7
Ginger Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
If it has aircon then the resistor should be in the fan motor case IE its all 1 unit
I think this is the case on a D8, but the OP has a D9 which has the finned separate resistor. Both my 2002s and my 2004 had the resistor behind the console.
Old 17-09-14, 10:41 PM   #8
Inactive User

The motor is in front of me now, and there is no other component in it, its has a 2 wire connector and a simple fan motor which spins when 12V DC is applied

If there is 12v DC supply to the multiplug of the motor/blower unit with the ignition on. can I take it that the infamous 40A fuse must be good.....

Is there a Resistor pack and a control unit, or are they the same thing.

If they are two different items where will I find the control unit.

Again your expert advice is very much appreciated....
Old 18-09-14, 08:50 AM   #9

Resistor pack/control unit same thing if you follow the wires back from the blower plug it should lead back to the resistor unit it does in the 607 anyway check the wires and connections for overheating where they plug into the resistor.
Old 25-09-14, 06:37 PM   #10
Inactive User

Well its beaten me!! the motor spins when connected directly to the battery. We have fitted a new resistor pack, 12V appears at the blower motor connecter and switches on and off via the ignition......connect it all back together and nothing happens.

The only thing I can think off is that the actual electronic controlfacia unit isnt working. Its an electronic digital display that has a fan symbol and the blades of that symbol light up according to what speed the fan is on, ie one blade displayed is the slowest speed. it looks like this one in the pic.....ANy suggestions chaps ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in