2001 406 2.0D HDI GLX warm start problem (long) - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By windy1603

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-04-14, 07:32 PM   #1
Inactive User

Unhappy 2001 406 2.0D HDI GLX warm start problem (long)

Hi all any help would be massively appreciated, I have brought a 2001 2.0 litre 406 HDI GLX, when I brought the car I was informed that it struggled to start when it was warm but was 'ok' when cold.

I understood what he meant when I started the car up and it took a few seconds to fire then sounded 'ropey' momentarily, whilst driving the car performs as i imagine it did nearly new.

my shock when I tested the advice not to start it when warm the car sounded like it was starved of fuel and wouldn't start until it had been left alone for a good 30-45 mins on a good day and then it was still a struggle to get it started.

I took it to a garage to let them have a look and they said it could well be a few things including a heater plug or just a wrong filter from a bad service, they gave it a good service and sorted a few problems and had an exhaust weld but still no joy and 192 lighter. They advised a new fuel pump and that was going to be 600-800 depending on how long it took due to the complexity of the job.

I was advised by a friend to have a go at a forum before putting any more money into it.
Phil_S91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-04-14, 08:46 PM   #2

They must have been cr*p mechanics. HDI only needs glow/heater plugs below about -10 and the symptoms would be reversed poor cold starting not hot.

I would start with the basics change the fuel filter and service. Then find someone on the planet map to do live diags on the car when hot. Could be a mixture of things from failing crank/cam sensor due to heat or fuel system related etc
Gibbo likes this.
Old 15-04-14, 09:38 PM   #3
Inactive User

Default reply

hi windy I had them do a full service and diagnostics, the reason they concluded it was the heat plug and the fuel pump was due to the diag not coming up with any faults, thier words not mine.

They fixed all of the niggly parts that could contribute towards the problem, im looking for advice before I fix/take it to another garage.

Old 15-04-14, 09:55 PM   #4

LIVE DATA not fault codes fix HDIs go to someone who knows what they are doing !!!

Before you take it anywhere else check if the starter is covered in oil if it is this may be your reason they tend not to work well when the oil gets in and its worse when hot

If that's ok then LIVE DATA readings to check cranking speed and fuel pressures will help pinpoint the problem NOT CODES
Old 15-04-14, 10:13 PM   #5
Inactive User

Default reply

thanks reliable,

I shall have a look in the morning, so in theory a clean could be the answer to my problems?!

also and update i just started the car from cold and i had the same problem i.e. excessive turning sounding like it will start but only starts after a few well places presses on the accelerator peddle.
Old 16-04-14, 10:51 AM   #6

Get it checked out with proper equipment, as stated in the FAQ:

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...members-83170/

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...gnostic-28190/

I'd also check live data, check fuel temperature and flow.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in