2.0 HDi (90) Running rough - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-18, 11:08 PM   #1

Lightbulb 2.0 HDi (90) Running rough

Hey All,

So my Uncle has just given me his car as my mum gave him my dad's car due to my dad's sudden death.
A little back ground

Is a 51 plate and my uncle has had it since it was 3 years old (80k) the car now has 540k on it wit the original engine without a rebuild! It used to be a taxi before my uncle retired.

Injectors where replaced around 250k mark and we have recently been playing around with the injectors to cure a cold starting issue. EGR blanked off many years ago as it failed and caused a cloud of black smoke. MAF if still original so is the turbo (New washers solved this all injectors known to be working fine)

The car does take some getting turning over to get it started (this is due to us playing around again with the injectors for this so the new washers aren't in there atm) When it's below 10 it needs a squirt of Easy start to give it a kick and will start beautifully all day till the next morning when it's sat over night, we replaced the glow plugs, the relay and also verified they work using a light bulb.

Once you've got it running, sometimes 4 turns sometimes 2 depending how it feels. it works fine and runs like a champ and also pulls very nicely.
Cruises along at 80mph easily. Fuel economy is also very good, around 700 miles to a tank. which for my uncle was 1/4 of a years motoring!
No smoke, gave it a blast up the motor way no smoke, not even any soot as it regularly got booted up the motorway to clear it out.

My car (Ford Grand Cmax urgh want rid of it) is going in January as i'm handing it back! So i've got this year to get this car running properly again
Has no DPF
Blanked EGR
Regular oil changes

Now the bad bits,

Just recently upon starting it runs fine idling, however if you give it rev it it feels like the engine is trying to come out of the bonnet. But sometimes this goes away and it will run beautifully again! Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold. The EML will come on with Anti Pollution fault. Car will still run, will still drive and isn't down on power or in limp mode it just doesn't sound very good. Now i know this can mean a multiple of things however i want to see what you guys think.
I have asked a friend to borrow his PP2000 (Gotta look for it) so i can read live data and codes if not i'll get on on fleabay for about £40.
We know the injectors are good, so i'm thinking down the lines of MAF or a potentially electrical fault.
We did have an issue before when we changed an injector the upon load it would cut out and spewed allot of diesel over the A27!
This was due to a feed pipe being loose and spewing diesel everywhere. Tightened and no problems since then this was about 1k miles ago.

My dad had one of these cars many years ago and my uncle has had this one for many years also. My dad was a mechanic and we worked on this car many times for my uncle so it has allot of sentimental value to me hence why i inherited it. I've got the time and i've also got the money to repair it. I'm confident in car's and know my way around them, just need a little guidance as to what some of you think i should try.

Many thanks and all the best.
Jon.
jonnwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-18, 06:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnwhite View Post
I have asked a friend to borrow his PP2000 (Gotta look for it) so i can read live data and codes if not i'll get on on fleabay for about £40.
Yes, that is definitely the best place to start. There will be multiple faults recorded, some more revelant than others. Please post...
Old 09-04-18, 05:28 PM   #3

When was the EGR blanked the inlet manifolds can coke up which can cause poor running.

At that milage i would look at getting a secondhand set of injectors and if its not been changed a new starter motor

Old 26-04-18, 08:12 PM   #4

Lightbulb

Hi All,

Sorry for the long time since posting however i have since been on holiday!

So my reader has come, having some issues with that which i will get to in a minute.

The rough running seems to of gone and have no idea what was causing it.
I have serviced it and also changed the fuel filter which has dramatically improved performance. Fuel filter was black so don't think that was helping.

Any ways -

I get the attached error. When i try to connect via Diagbox (Open diagbox and then it opens PP2000) however i can still run diagnostics it's just very slow. Managed to read old fault codes and also managed to read the live data.
It could only connect to the ECU and the ABS ECU's though all others didn't reply (including airbag which has a fault stored)

Also EGR was blanked around 5 years ago, however i think it might be the Solenoid that has failed so im going to see if i can get that fixed.

Has currently got new ish injectors in it which seem to be performing quite well.
Anyone have any ideas?

MAny thanks
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
pp2000.jpg  
Old 26-04-18, 11:42 PM   #5

I recently purchased a 2.2 406 hdi which had all sorts of issues including running on after the ignition switch was off, airbag light on, diagnostics not able to connect to quite a few devices etc. Main problem turned out to be water getting into the driver's side foot well, flooding it and had corroded the plugs there that interconnect the front bit of the main loom to the rear bit. Quite a few wires had completly come adrift due to corrosion. Cut the offending corroded plugs out, soldered and heatshrunk the wires and all went back to 'normal'.. as normal as any peugeot can be anyway.
This is not the first 406 I have found this issue in, is a common fault reported on many forums, so have a look and see if the plugs are at all affected by corrosion, may well be your issue, or one of them.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-04-18, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNZ View Post
I recently purchased a 2.2 406 hdi which had all sorts of issues including running on after the ignition switch was off, airbag light on, diagnostics not able to connect to quite a few devices etc. Main problem turned out to be water getting into the driver's side foot well, flooding it and had corroded the plugs there that interconnect the front bit of the main loom to the rear bit. Quite a few wires had completly come adrift due to corrosion. Cut the offending corroded plugs out, soldered and heatshrunk the wires and all went back to 'normal'.. as normal as any peugeot can be anyway.
This is not the first 406 I have found this issue in, is a common fault reported on many forums, so have a look and see if the plugs are at all affected by corrosion, may well be your issue, or one of them.
Hey,

Thanks for the quick response!
If I call the aa out which I had to do before to get a code read they can communicate with all of the ecus read fault codes and also clear them.
I will give these connectors the once over and make sure everting is looking as it should!
Have you ever seen the warning that Iím getting on pp2000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in