2.0 (90) HDI Starting Issues - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 406
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-18, 11:15 AM   #1

Default 2.0 (90) HDI Starting Issues

Hi All,

My Pug 2.0 HDI won't start if it's below 8-9 over night have to squirt easy start then it will run fine for the rest of the day.

The glow plugs have been replaced, the glow plug relay has been replaced. the glow plug system is all working as it should. (tested it with a light bulb)

PP2000 doesn't show any codes other than a MAF fault which has been there around 5 years and wont go away! But i will post about that later

I did have one thing that seems to fixed it a while ago.

I bought some new copper seals as i thought that might fix it.
the car fired after about 2 turns which was much better than the current 4-5
I developed a leak and though it was injector 1/2 so i tried another two injectors which i knew worked (Leak was still there, was injector 3 loose pipe!) So at present it has 2 new copper seals and 2 old copper seals.

Was it a fluke that this seemed to improve the situation or should i get some new washers and some new plastic guide boot things and see how it goes?
That would make me think it's loosing compression past those copper washers.

Many thanks

Jon
jonnwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-18, 11:26 AM   #2

The car takes a lot of information from various on-board sensors before it decides what it needs to do in order to start and run properly.

One of those sensors is giving a faulty reading. You have Planet, its a case of going through each one and seeing what looks amiss.

From personal experience I've found air temperature sensors believe the outside air was 58'C (it was 20), coolant temperature sensors believe the coolant was -40'C and diesel temperature sensors think the fuel was about to vaporise.

All of which caused the cars to not start or run right until the sensors were replaced.
Old 01-05-18, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
The car takes a lot of information from various on-board sensors before it decides what it needs to do in order to start and run properly.

One of those sensors is giving a faulty reading. You have Planet, its a case of going through each one and seeing what looks amiss.

From personal experience I've found air temperature sensors believe the outside air was 58'C (it was 20), coolant temperature sensors believe the coolant was -40'C and diesel temperature sensors think the fuel was about to vaporise.

All of which caused the cars to not start or run right until the sensors were replaced.

Gibbo,

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Funnily enought i did check these sensor's through planet when i was playing around with it.

Everything looked about right.

Diesel, outside air and also coolant temperature where around what i would of expected for the temperature of the day.

Checking the outside temperature on a different car/thermometer the car read the same/1 deg colder.

So i think we are okay on the sensor front
jonnwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-18, 07:13 PM   #4

My wife's 307 hdi with the same engine had a starting issue some years ago that turned out to be a tired battery. It threw me for a bit because the symptoms persisted after I replaced the battery, but the replacement was faulty .
Normally you won't need the glow plugs at all unless it's below -10c.

Roger.
Old 02-05-18, 11:19 AM   #5

My petrol 308 was the same over this winter whenever temperature dropped into minus figures. New battery sorted it.
Old 02-05-18, 04:55 PM   #6

copper washers are unlikely to be the issue

Starters are a common issue they just turn a bit to slow glow plug money would have been better spent on a starter !
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in