Not starting in cold weather - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 4007
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-03-18, 12:05 PM   #1

Default Not starting in cold weather

Hi any ideas, my Peugeot 4007 will not start when temperature gets to around -3. Had it too two separate garages first said it was the glow plug relay which I replaced still no start, the second said battery which was replaced still no start I keep asking whether it could be glow plugs they say not but can't see what else it could be as soon as temperature rises to _0 it starts fine, any ideas would be greatfully received thanks.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-03-18, 02:40 PM   #2

Starter weak and in the cold it turns too slow its not glowplugs im assuming you have the 2 litre or 2.2 peugeot engine and not a mitsubishi one not sure what these badge engineered things have in them !
Old 18-03-18, 02:53 PM   #3

Ye it is the 2.2 Peugeot engine, if you turn it over enough times and long as batter last it will eventually start once started you can turn engine of and on and it starts fine until you leave it over night again do you think it will need a new starter motor, is there away of testing it?

Old 18-03-18, 03:08 PM   #4

Ok that is different now armed with this extra important info you have a fuel pressure issue not glowplug or starter.

Get the garage to test the fuel pressure when its cranking from cold it will be low a work around way to test is to prime the primer bulb till its hard then try to start if it then starts better its definately a fuel issue.
Old 18-03-18, 03:27 PM   #5

Thanks for the information, last time I took it to a Peugeot garage they put it on diagnostics, and he did say he had checked the fuel pressure and it was OK, but it was warmer then, thanks for info will try what you suggested when it is cold thanks again.
Old 14-04-18, 10:01 AM   #6

Default Cold start issues

Hi,
If you take a look at my previous post you will see the pinout for the glow plugs, my strong suggestion is to use a multimeter on ohms then check the continuity to ground for each of the 4 plugs.
After replacing my glowplugs late last year I have had no problems over the winter in minus winter temps.

If the glow plugs measure about 3 ohms each the other suspect is the relay, if you have someone turn the car to the ignition position you should feel the relay click which will indicate that the ECM is telling the heater relay to engage.
You will find the relay on the right hand side near the battery, at least on my LHD car it is.
To remove the relay you pull out the locking bar.

Short of a low compression engine the glow plugs are about the only item which will give no start in cold conditions especially if there is a healthy crank, with the car running fine in the warmer weather.
If the crank is laboured maybe consider a different oil.

If you want to test to see if the engine has fuel and is capable of running spray a very small amount of brake cleaner into the air intake and crank.

You will see from my previous post that number 3 glowplug is very difficult to access and I would be very surprised if it has been changed by the garage.

If they did you would be up for about 4 hours labour.
Replacing the other 3 takes at most 30 mins.

If you need any extra help please contact me.

Cheers Tony
France

Last edited by Tony Cross; 14-04-18 at 02:01 PM.
Tony Cross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in