Not starting - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 4007
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-18, 11:26 AM   #1

Default Not starting

Hi all,

So we purchased a 2011 hdi 4007 about a year ago. Not long after the car wouldn't start. We rang the place we purchased it from and they took it back to fix it for no charge. A few days later they ring me and tell me that they had changed the flow plugs and forced a dpf regeneration to no avail. They had then spoken to an actual Peugeot mechanic who suggested checking the fuel cap. Apparently upon cleaning the fuel cap the car started and it was concluded it was due to grim on the magnets/sensors in the fuel cap. If the problem reaccured they said to replace the fuel cap.
More recently the car again refused to start. After trying the fuel cap trick there was no improvement. Someone then came and turned the fuel cap whilst my husband tried to start the car and it work, apparently there was suction created when the cap was in the right spot.
A few days later the car wouldn't start again. My husband pulled apart the area behind the rear wheel where the fuel would go in, cleaned some things and put it back together. No luck. We purchased a brand new fuel cap, no luck. I'm not convinced my husband put things back together correctly.
So we relented and towed the car to our nearest Peugeot service centre. They ran diagnostics and found that there is no fuel pressure at all. They say that the high pressure fuel pump needs to be replaced as a 'starting point' at a cost of $3000 AUD.

They don't sound very convincing that this is definitely the problem. Does anyone know if there could be another cause of our issue?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Aus4007; 09-03-18 at 02:45 PM.
Aus4007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-18, 02:29 PM   #2

The cap is NOTHING to do with it that is pure fantasy/coincidence

The fuel pump dying is also unlikely you need someone who knows what they are doing the dealers will simply replace things based on fault codes and keep going until you have no money left.

IF the fuel pump is not fed fuel from the tank it wont make any fuel pressure are you SURE it has fuel !
Old 09-03-18, 02:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
The cap is NOTHING to do with it that is pure fantasy/coincidence

The fuel pump dying is also unlikely you need someone who knows what they are doing the dealers will simply replace things based on fault codes and keep going until you have no money left.

IF the fuel pump is not fed fuel from the tank it wont make any fuel pressure are you SURE it has fuel !
Thank you for replying. I feel like that is what the dealer is saying, that they will replace this higher pressure fuel pump then if that doesn't work they will try something else. There has to be a better way. I am sure that it has diesel in it.

Old 09-03-18, 03:21 PM   #4

High pressure pumps do fail but its very rare there is something far simpler wrong here as i say if the pump is not being fed fuel it will not make pressure they are basing their diagnosis on the fact there is no pressure the pump makes the pressure so it must be faulty this is flawed logic.

They need to check there is fuel coming through from the tank not sure if the car in question will have an in tank feed pump some do some dont it depends on what fuel system is used but even though they have no pressure it does NOT mean the pump is the reason for no pressure i know because of your location you are limited in terms of knowledgeable independents but the main dealers are rarely the best option with this kind of issue.
Old 09-03-18, 11:12 PM   #5

Thank you so much reliable, you have helped make it clearer that we need a second opinion.
Old 05-04-18, 10:45 AM   #6

I thought I'd update for anyone looking in the future. So far we moved the car to a different mechanic. They have told us (after testing it) that the high pressure fuel pump is fine and the problem is the regulator. Knowing nothing about car's I am not sure what sort of regulator they mean, but will also add that info when I find out. Thanks for reply PP, you gave us hope that the other mechanics were wrong and saved us forking out $3000 to fix something that wasn't wrong!
Old 14-04-18, 02:13 PM   #7

Default Gday

Is the engine warning light on?

Have you plugged an OBD-2 scanner in and checked for codes?

If so what codes are in the memory.

These engines are very reliable the main fuel tank pump is possible cause you should hear the pump startup when the key is set to ignition, do you hear the pump?

Is there a healthy crank?

cheers Tony
Tony Cross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in