What Car reliability survey - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2014+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Brilec
  • 1 Post By Sinisha

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-18, 01:44 PM   #1

Default What Car reliability survey

I know that reliability surveys often have to be taken with a pinch of salt, but the latest What Car survey, for cars 1 to 4 years old, rates the 308 as the least reliable family car. Electrical faults seem to be the biggest issue.

However, not all cars in the class are included, the Megane and the C4/Cactus are missing for instance.

Thoughts?

https://www.whatcar.com/news/reliability-survey-2018-2/
Advertisement

Old 11-09-18, 03:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twingoman View Post
I know that reliability surveys often have to be taken with a pinch of salt, but the latest What Car survey, for cars 1 to 4 years old, rates the 308 as the least reliable family car. Electrical faults seem to be the biggest issue.

However, not all cars in the class are included, the Megane and the C4/Cactus are missing for instance.

Thoughts?

https://www.whatcar.com/news/reliability-survey-2018-2/
This is not true... 308 T9 is worse than they said. It has mechanical faults, body faults, electrical faults. Overall not good, worst than 207, 208 or 308 T7
Old 11-09-18, 04:02 PM   #3

The problem with these surveys is correlation and causation are not the same, just because there are lots of failures, doesn't mean it's the car's fault, it could be the car attracting a certain demographic of driver that abuses their cars. The other thing to note is the demographic of a What! subscriber. Older people are more likely to complain and fill out these surveys.... more older people in a certain car = more problems.

It's interesting how other car models were separated into Diesel / petrol but the 308 was lumped together. This shows the engines were just fine... y'know, the expensive bits.

Secondly, the 308 comes with a lot of kit. The more kit there is, there more there is to go wrong. Most other manufacturers are quite basic. Even in the report, "The areas concerned included heated seats, the infotainment system and parking sensors."

The problems were with minor things.

Last edited by BiGK; 11-09-18 at 04:04 PM.
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-18, 09:37 PM   #4

Well there is sometimes a few seconds delay while streaming music with Bluetooth. I mean, the sky is about to fall in.
Refstar likes this.
Old 12-09-18, 07:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilec View Post
Well there is sometimes a few seconds delay while streaming music with Bluetooth. I mean, the sky is about to fall in.
Yep, and there is one wiper more than we need, on the back windshield ....
Refstar likes this.
Sinisha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-18, 02:13 PM   #6

It's fair to say the Peugeot, Fiat, and Land Rover frequently prop up the bottom of reliability surveys. While Honda, Toyota and Mazda dominate the top tiers.
Of course there are many Peugeot, Fiat, and Land Rover owners who have never had any trouble at all with their cars, and Toyota, Honda, and Mazda owners who wish they had never seen their trouble plagued dogs.
Maybe users of this forum see their cars through rose tinted glasses, quite possibly some are here to try to figure out how to fix their cars.

I'm inclined to agree with the What Car survey, but it doesn't mean your or my car will break down frequently, or that it will be unfailingly reliable.
Reliability isn't the only factor people use when choosing a new car, styling, economy, comfort and performance, as well as advertising and the skills of the salesman will also feature.

Roger.
Old 12-09-18, 09:45 PM   #7

I would be much more interested in knowing how many cars in each group were tested, if it was only 10 308s then it means 2 had problems but there could have been 600 i30s which means 12 had problems. They may have had 100 of each and it was unlucky that 20 people had problems with their Peugeot's. At the end of the day without the numbers the results are a bit meaningless. 18,000 people with 159 makes and models would only be around 113 of each make and model if it was evenly matched so I will take the results with a pinch of salt. I have had 2 308s with around 80k miles between them and have only had one drop link changed making them one of the most reliable I have had for a while.

Last edited by Number 6; 12-09-18 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-18, 09:47 PM   #8

Just to balance this...

JD Power earlier this year ranked Peugeot (the brand, not the 308) as the 8th most reliable car brand. BMW were last, Audi right at the bottom too.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-revealed.html

I think the current 308 is still too new for Warranty Directs reliability survey (based on warranty claims) but the old 308 scores better than average.

https://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/273

Again - BMW's have a reputation for being well built cars, but try putting in a 3 series and see how they score...

The Peugeot brand has a bad name in the media and therefore by consumers.
Roger's view above is very common, but in recent years the poor reputation for reliability is not stacked up by the statistics. One of the problems with these surveys is it is based on opinions. Most peugeots are white goods - they are bought to serve the needs of having a practical vehicle rather than a car that people aspire to own. Consequently people are more likely to see the faults, or want to see the faults. Whereas people who own premium brands, cars they have aspired to own, are more likely to look through the faults of their cars as the buying reasons differ. The warranty directs survey is based on the repairs which they pay for rather than opinions and so can be taken as more factual (assuming you agree that the minimum sample of 50 cars is representative). The JD Power survey is reputed to be the most comprehensive survey, but is largely still based on opinion.

Interestingly, in the What Car survey the Peugeot SUVs have actually scored rather well on reliability. Are the 2008 and 3008 totally different cars from the 208 and 308, even though they share the same platform? Or perhaps Peugeot is getting something right with the marketing of the SUV range and people are aspiring to buy the car rather than choosing the car for value reasons. And this different buying proposition makes a difference with how owners then perceive their pride and joy....

My own view based on 18 months of ownership... No major issues, one minor fault that caused an occasional warning light to crop up - fixed by Peugeot - and one minor niggle with noisy brakes - still to be fixed by Peugeot. Certainly based on my experience there is nothing that will cause me to say the car was unreliable.

Feedback based on a forum is also unreliable - there are generally two types of users to a car forum - 1) those who join as they have an issue with their car that they are looking for advice on, or 2) those who are more passionate about their car - i.e. neither type of person are likely to give an objective view.

I see my car as just as reliable as other cars I have owned previously. I think as a forum we should be honest, but positive about our cars. All the negativity that people like to throw at the Peugeot brand only serves to lower the values of our cars and ultimately costs us money.

If the negative view of the Peugeot brand is correct then fair enough, but if it is based on perception rather than facts (as I largely believe it is considering the current range of cars) then steps should be taken by Peugeot to improve its reputation.
Burgerbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-09-18, 11:34 AM   #9

May I say that's an excellent post, Burgerbob. I'm new to Peugeot (this century, anyway!), and went through similar thoughts in finally rejecting the perceived superior reliablity of Toyota, Honda or Mazda and going with the rather wonderfully designed 308SW. Totally reliable so far, over at least 3 weeks and 600 miles!
Pearly White is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-09-18, 12:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgerbob View Post
Interestingly, in the What Car survey the Peugeot SUVs have actually scored rather well on reliability. Are the 2008 and 3008 totally different cars from the 208 and 308, even though they share the same platform?
In the Auto Express Driver Power survey, the 3008 was rated top this year. Although the 308 didn't feature, last year it came 19th, 4th best in class below the Cee'd, Leon and Golf.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in