Peugeot Forums banner

Quirks / Annoyances / Fixes

18K views 68 replies 18 participants last post by  mooi1uk 
#1 ·
I've had my 308 on the road for a couple of weeks now so thought i'd list some of the quirks i've noticed (granted they are minor things!)

Interesting to see what other quirks people know about, if you have the same ones and if there are any fixes! :nod:

- Putting the car in reverse makes the fan speed increase, it drops back again around 10 seconds after leaving reverse, no idea why! (it cant be a feature surely!?)

- Setting the clock as 12 hour it still displays as 05:30, 07:30 etc in the pm hours

- Any quick way to go from hot to cold on the blowers? its bloody tedious going up and down, give me old dials any day!

- I still miss total close windows but i think i have to live with that one :(

- Drink holder is pointless if you have a bottle in there, just gets in the way! :lol:

-Wish i could turn off hill assist, always makes me think i've got handbrake on!

Apart from my minor moaning though i love the car, so quiet and smooth compared to my 307, and the MPG is great!

See less See more
#2 ·
Let me try some....

- Putting the car in reverse makes the fan speed increase, it drops back again around 10 seconds after leaving reverse, no idea why! (it cant be a feature surely!?)
It's for the same reason your A/C goes to "closed circulation" briefly when you use windshield washers - to prevent smells entering the cabin. This with fan is for the exhaust, since going in reverse makes your own exhaust fumes go around, over and under the car and partly finish in cabin air intake system. So the system goes to closed circuit for some short time to prevent exhaust being sucked in.

- Any quick way to go from hot to cold on the blowers? its bloody tedious going up and down, give me old dials any day!
Yes, it is a PITA to go all the way through the scale. But why would you want to do that anyways?

- I still miss total close windows but i think i have to live with that one :(
When I exit my car and close all doors, then on remote press and hold the close button, all windows will roll up, together with doors locking. Is this what you're asking about?

- Drink holder is pointless if you have a bottle in there, just gets in the way! :lol:
Again, agreed. It's only good for a bottle of bubble gums I keep in car, that's about it.

#5 · (Edited)
It's for the same reason your A/C goes to "closed circulation" briefly when you use windshield washers - to prevent smells entering the cabin. This with fan is for the exhaust, since going in reverse makes your own exhaust fumes go around, over and under the car and partly finish in cabin air intake system. So the system goes to closed circuit for some short time to prevent exhaust being sucked in.
That's annoyingly clever, i'd have never thought of that! :lol:

The window thing i should have explained better... on my 307 you hold the button and as soon as the windows start moving you can walk away and they carry on, with the 308 you have to stand there and keep the button held down until they finish!

And the heater thing, i live in england so i can go from needing cooling to full heating in the space of a few hours :lol:

did you know the cupholder bit folds up out of the way allowing you to have a bottle in without being in the way too much.
I'm gonna have to check this one out now, how does it work? - Edit: just tried, mine cant be moved or removed :(

I didn't know about the total closure. It would be handy to have a total opening option with this hot weather we have have at the moment
I dunno, many a time i've seen a vauxhall with its windows down as the rain starts because of this one! :lol: maybe if it was linked to the wiper sensor so it closes them if the rain starts!

#6 ·
Very few annoyances, the seat belt light doesn't go off for about 10-15 seconds but apparently that's normal.

Having to select the A/c controls to get them on the screen before changing them is mildly irritating but does mean a nice clear cockpit

The main annoyance is that my wife's 308SW is so much nicer in every way than my 2008 EGC

#12 ·
Having to select the A/c controls to get them on the screen before changing them is mildly irritating but does mean a nice clear cockpit
I tend to sit with the satnav screen on - in that case touching the a/c display part of the screen brings up an alternative a/c control thing just for the temperature.

Same as pressing the media section brings up a media window etc.

My unnecessary thing is why do we need a calculator and calendar?

#8 ·
-Wish i could turn off hill assist, always makes me think i've got handbrake on!
Well, of course, that's exactly what the hill assist is doing - applying the parking (hand) brake for you. You can switch the automatic operation off you know? From the hand book:

• Start the engine.
  • Apply the parking brake with the control lever, if it is released.
  • Take your foot off the brake pedal.
  • Push and hold the control lever in the release direction for at least 10 seconds and no more than 15 seconds.
  • Release the control lever.
  • Press and hold the brake pedal.
  • Pull the control lever in the apply direction for 2 seconds.
  • Deactivation of the automatic functions is confirmed by illumination of the indicator lamp in the instrument panel.
  • Release the control lever and the brake pedal.

From this point the parking brake can only be applied and released manually using the control lever.

Repeat this procedure to reactivate automatic operation.

#14 ·
AFAIK, it doesn't sync. It's just a basic "calc" and "calendar" that every electronic device made in last 20 years has, no matter if it's useful or not. Old cell phones had it, old digital wristwatches had it. Probably even childrens' electric playmobile-like train from china for €2 has calc and calendar, as well as microwave oven, electric toothbrush and coffee grinder.
Stupid idea, I agree, but it's like "default" for anything with screen on it.

#28 ·
+1

In fact it gets in the way for a brief flick of the wipers so that I have to switch to intermittent and then back again to get a single wipe.

When I had my Mk1 C5 I went into the BSI and told the car that auto wipers weren't fitted and then got a nice intermittent action instead.

#33 ·
Anyone know if it's possible on diagbox to change what the middle key button does?

Mine currently turns the lights on which is useless to me, would prefer it to unlock the boot because i keep having to go back in the car to press the dash button twice!

#36 ·
I have had my 16 plate 308 since March and really do like the car, there are a couple of things which do bug me:

The roasting hot gear stick has been a bit of a problem the past few weeks with the heatwave, even gets hot leaving a cloth over it all day!

The other thing I have noticed is that the satnav directional arrows appear to be confused, particularly on motorways...
At junctions, the pop up on the right of the display may show the correct direction, e.g. take exit, however the small lane indicator arrows appear to be the wrong way around (rather than the left hand arrow being highlighted and bent to indicate turning off, it highlights and bends the right hand arrow) - almost as if they "adapted" the software for right hand drive just by changing the arrow shape. With the satnav on mute most of the time it has meant that I have almost skipped the junction I needed to come off at when it is only quickly glanced at!

No cup holder for the passenger, yet one for each other seat!

When playing music from phone, there appears to be a 4-5s lag using Spotify, although I had this in a previous Focus and so already used to it.

I have been caught out when trying to overtake a couple of times by the fact the car is quite happy driving along at ~1k rpm (1.6 BlueHDi) - does mean there is a fair bit of lag in accelerating if in the wrong gear but that is more down to user error I think!

Finally - the MyPeugeot App for some reason will not let me update the mileage, yet it is always 8 miles out of the value on the in car display!

#42 ·
Our 2017 308SW rear bumper was driven into by an idiot in a car park, only about 2 miles an hour but it's left a slight depression in the plastic we cannot get out. Quoted £540 to fix it!

They might look nice but high gloss plastic bumpers don't work well as actual bumpers :mad:

#44 · (Edited)
Thanks, but can't get behind it to push it out, it's just around the right hand rear parking sensor (under the number plate)

Been using the large and small suckers you can get to try and pull it out while warming with a hairdryer and have got about 70% ot it out but it has mishapen the bumper slightly as well (so the profile has changed slightly) so reflectons go everywhere making it very obvious.

It need a pro to do it but I don't have the £

#45 ·
Nearly discovered another today - went to push the cover back of the pocket with cup holder. As eyes were on the road didn't realise hand was hovering over the handbrake button instead!

Anyone know if the car disables the handbrake button when at speed (I can see my kids having fun pulling this before asking "Whats that do!" otherwise!

#47 · (Edited)
Well i'm a few months in and have made peace with many quirks now, still loving the car and starting to look at changing a few things

Here's my final list of annoyances i can't get over :lol:

Temp/fan controls - there's enough room at the bottom for 2 preset buttons that we could use to flick between user defined presets quickly, moving up and down temp is way to fiddly

Hill Assist - what a bloody lottery this thing is and i can't turn it off (previously mentioned method doesn't work)

Stop/Start - why the buggery does opening a door start the car!? every time i pull up to a shop etc... SS kicks in, passenger opens door and engine starts again! hardly worth the milliseconds of stoppage unless i clutch in and out to make it sleep again while i wait! :nod:

Regen - There needs to be an indicator to show when the regen process is going on, the change in performance is quite alarming at times with no warning!

Next up, window tints, GTI/GT Line wheels and LED's galore! :thumb:

#48 ·
Temp/fan controls - there's enough room at the bottom for 2 preset buttons that we could use to flick between user defined presets quickly, moving up and down temp is way to fiddly
You must have a later unit with six selections icons, the earlier SMEG+ has seven icons, so only one space, but I agree, and it's with all climate control units I've had, changing the temp is very fiddly. Perhaps a preset screen similar to the cruise control/speed limit presets would have been useful

Hill Assist - what a bloody lottery this thing is and i can't turn it off (previously mentioned method doesn't work)
I've never had an issue with this, I actually have found it very useful.

Couple of things I have picked up on over the last couple of months or so:

1. Does the passenger seatbelt light only illuminate if someone is in the seat? I don't carry passengers that often, so haven't noticed, but if I'm in the car on my own, I only get the four (drivers and three rear seat) when putting the ignition on.

2. I've finally found a way of raising the centre console armrest without crushing my fingers in it, but does anyone have a tip on how to raise it from the lowest position without the storage lid opening with it?

#53 ·
I'm quite surprised that so far nobody mentioned the vents - I'm so frustrated that I can't turn them upwards to blow towards the ceiling. Everytime I turn the A/C on I get blasts of freezing cold air arround my head, no matter If I tur them left or right - either it is a direct blast or a ricochet from the door... We were considering of buying a 5008 as a family people carrier and were quite put off by the same problem.

Maybe I'm just getting old...

#54 ·
Oh, and while on the subject of A/C - is it so hard to MIX the cold air from the A/C with some cabin air so it wouldn't be so agressive. It's quite "digital" - either freezing cold or hot comes out of the vents even though you just want a minor change in cabin temp.

On the other topics - I also open the whole centre console lid when trying to only raise the armrest - I'm thinking of taking it back to get the console repaired/changed because of that. My wife has it in lowest position and I have it in highest and everytime I get to drive it I struggle with it. Plus it squeeks a lot...

#58 ·
Yes the gear knob has been mentioned.

Restarting when doors are opened, or seatbelt unclipped is so that you can't get out of the car forgetting you have not turned the engine off. Both doors because they couldn't be bothered to do different programming for left and right hand drive.

#59 ·
Add me to the list of those who think the aluminium shift knob is a bit sensitive to the temps. Both hot and cold ! But not a huge issue; more a summer annoyance to be honest.

I find the climatisation/HVAC just fine. Actually nice to get some warm air out of the face level vents; the previous German cars tended to resolutely avoid doing that and just blast heat at the feet.

The short final drive ratio on my petrol means a lot of shifting in urban driving. Rowing a lot between gears 1-4 in the city gets annoying after awhile, and then highway consumption suffers a bit as a result of the short ratio.

#60 ·
Only a very minor irritation (to me anyway) but if you switch off the ignition with the wipers on manually, they don't come back on the next time you start the car. I can understand that it's probably down to not having them wiping across a dry screen, but if you do need them, they have to be turned off and back on again.

As I say, it's only a minor thing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.