Peugeot 308 'Allure' trim ride quality - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2014+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-19, 12:51 PM   #1

Default Peugeot 308 'Allure' trim ride quality

I am looking at buying a 308 and I notice that the vast majority of Peugeot 308s that are for sale are the 'Allure' trim level. I notice that the 'Allure' trim comes with 45 profile tyres and the 'Active' trim comes with 55 profile tyres. Lower profile tyres usually give a harder ride with more road/tyre noise and they are not usually the best for our UK roads with pot holes and speed bumps. I believe 45 profile tyres would be great for cornering and racing but not for a smooth ride. I really would like the 'Active' trim with the 55 profile tyres to give me the smoothest ride but this is limiting the choice of cars for sale. On 'Autotrader' I find only 4 'Active' trim 308s for sale compared with 95 'Allure' trim 308s within a 100 mile radius of my address. Does anyone know why there are a lot of 'Allure' trim 308s for sale compared with 'Active' trim 308s? Is it because people find the 'Allure' too hard a ride and want to 'get rid' or is it just that the majority of 308s sold new were in the 'Allure' trim in the first place? Can anyone comment, either way, on the ride quality of the 308 in 'Allure' trim with 45 profile tyres please?

Thanks in advance.
Wiganken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-19, 12:57 PM   #2

Allure has 17" wheels and Active has 16" wheels .. i have Active with 16" wheels and can say that the car is nicely soft and goes well over speedbumps and pot holes.. had a Honda Civic 10 plate before and that was FIRM car ..
Old 11-05-19, 02:10 PM   #3

I've got an Allure spec. I find the ride acceptable although a bit harsh on potholes sometimes but when I had a lower trim car on 16" wheels as a hire car in Spain recently I thought the ride was much more supple.

Old 11-05-19, 03:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. Although only two replies so far they both confirm what I suspected: - That the 'Active' trim is a better, smoother ride than the 'Allure' trim.

I hope other 308 owners can add to this thread to give their opinions. It will help me to decide.
Old 11-05-19, 04:02 PM   #5

I too have an Allure - though I would have preferred the 16" wheels, it didn't make financial sense to buy an Active and spec it up with options. I agree with Danram that the ride could be softer, but is perfectly acceptable.
Pearly White is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-19, 04:27 PM   #6

I have a 2016 Allure with 17" rims & 45 profile tyres, the ride is perfectly fine, it has improved slightly by fitting Michelin Cross Climate + tyres which also tamed the lively Puretech 130 performance.

You still have the 308 handling trait of the back end step out on certain corners but you get used to it.

Reason for plenty of Allure trims for sale is it's a popular high non sport trim spec having plenty of toys.

I'd rather have an Allure over Active.

Last edited by Mr Lee; 11-05-19 at 04:32 PM.
Mr Lee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-19, 04:47 PM   #7

Pearly White - Your comment "it didn't make financial sense to buy an Active and spec it up with options" may be the reason that I am seeing lots of "Allures" for sale and not many 'Actives'. It may be that most people bought 'Allure' trim rather than 'Active' trim on economic grounds. I suppose it is possible to buy a used 'Allure' trim model and (if I find the ride too hard/noisy) get the wheels and tyres changed to 16" wheels and 55 profile tyres but this will cost (any ideas anyone?). Also it would count as a modification so I would need to tell my car insurers and also the DVLA. I may finish up with an 'Allure' model and find it 'acceptable' but, for now, I'll wait and see if an 'Active' trim comes on the market.

Further responses are welcome and thanks to everyone for the input.
Old 11-05-19, 05:02 PM   #8

I'd much rather have the Allure with better overall spec including LED headlamps then an Active with lower spec plus its worse halogen headlamps.
Old 11-05-19, 05:43 PM   #9

I think the ride of the Allure is good very good on a long journey,i would describe it as comfy with a slighly firm edge,the stock Michelin SP4s have quite a firm wall as they are sport tyres i'll be changing mine soon for a different make for a smoother ride a test drive will rule out any doubts
Old 11-05-19, 06:18 PM   #10

I had an allure as a courtesy car while my GTi was being serviced.

It felt like a magic carpet compared to what I'm used to. There is one road on the way to work that I normally don't exceed 20ish due to the poor surface. The Allure was still get comfy at 30.

I was very impressed with the car and though the suspension and ride were well set up and balanced.
Burgerbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in