lumpy / spluttery idle? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2014+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-19, 01:00 PM   #1

Default lumpy / spluttery idle?

this is really doing my head in now.

car is the 2015 308 SW 2.0 HDI GT Auto EAT6 - done 75k miles

on idle after the car has warmed up sat at the lights when ECO does not work the idle is lumpy the needle can sometimes bounce around a little and the hole car shakes.

if you put it into N it makes no difference or equally Park, but if you give it a few revs its smooth

driving is fine, no other faults.

Sometimes it idles fine when warm and when it does idle fine ECO works, when it idles like a bag of potatoes in a washing machine ECO does not work

before i drive this car into the sea and claim on the insurance does anyone know what it can be?

obviously every time i take it to the dealer it just so happens to be working fine and its a wasted trip. any thoughts?
Kenneth McGr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-19, 02:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth McGr View Post
this is really doing my head in now.

car is the 2015 308 SW 2.0 HDI GT Auto EAT6 - done 75k miles

on idle after the car has warmed up sat at the lights when ECO does not work the idle is lumpy the needle can sometimes bounce around a little and the hole car shakes.

if you put it into N it makes no difference or equally Park, but if you give it a few revs its smooth

driving is fine, no other faults.

Sometimes it idles fine when warm and when it does idle fine ECO works, when it idles like a bag of potatoes in a washing machine ECO does not work

before i drive this car into the sea and claim on the insurance does anyone know what it can be?

obviously every time i take it to the dealer it just so happens to be working fine and its a wasted trip. any thoughts?
From my personal experience, the engine tone and feel at idle varies all the time with this engine although I havent noticed the needle bouncing. Unless its fully up2 temperature after a decent journey it can be quite rough at times. Again, only from my experience, I find that regular use of super diesel and adding in the Millers EcoMax at every fill up (15ml doses as recommended so a bottle lasts a good while) vastly improves the idle and general driveability of the car. I compare that to the odd few weeks ive used standard diesel with no additive and as such I wouldnt go back.

In addition to that, I found their to be a few flat spots in the acceleration when I first bought the car second hand but after a few weeks of better fuel with the additive, I find it to be very sharp now. Id give it a try.

I know some would say what I do is overkill but it works for me and the car thanks me for it. In addition, I cant remember the last time it needed any sort of dpf regen and I dont do that many long journeys.

Last edited by 2Stevo2; 03-04-19 at 02:51 PM.
2Stevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-19, 03:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stevo2 View Post
From my personal experience, the engine tone and feel at idle varies all the time with this engine although I havent noticed the needle bouncing. Unless its fully up2 temperature after a decent journey it can be quite rough at times. Again, only from my experience, I find that regular use of super diesel and adding in the Millers EcoMax at every fill up (15ml doses as recommended so a bottle lasts a good while) vastly improves the idle and general driveability of the car. I compare that to the odd few weeks ive used standard diesel with no additive and as such I wouldnt go back.

In addition to that, I found their to be a few flat spots in the acceleration when I first bought the car second hand but after a few weeks of better fuel with the additive, I find it to be very sharp now. Id give it a try.

I know some would say what I do is overkill but it works for me and the car thanks me for it. In addition, I cant remember the last time it needed any sort of dpf regen and I dont do that many long journeys.
definitely not normal and runs like a bag of potatoes in a washing machine, it rocks the car on its suspension unless you add a little throttle.
Kenneth McGr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-19, 06:24 PM   #4

I do think putting super diesel and an additive in for a while could help. Potential causes are clogged fuel filter, dirty EGR valve, DPF with too much back pressure etc. which could all be helped with my advice (minus putting a new fuel filter on).

Could also be a dirty oxygen sensor somewhere.

Last edited by 2Stevo2; 03-04-19 at 06:28 PM.
2Stevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in