Lubrication system-problem solved - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2014+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By amiejane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-06-19, 07:33 PM   #1

Default Lubrication system-problem solved

THIS INFORMATION MAYBE HELPFULL TO ANYONE WITH A LUBRICATION SYSTEM FAULT 308 (T9)

The car came to me with the engine knocking, rattling and some violent shuddering it was also in limp mode no engine management light just a warning message saying you have an engine fault have the vehicle repaired.
Owner said that it had recently had a new turbo as it had failed and wasn't sure if it had been done correctly (what I think he meant was that he had diagnosed it and changed the turbo and wasn't confident that he had done it right)
First thing was first it was hooked up to planet and the following information was presented.
P2262 72 TURBOCHARGING AIR CURCUIT
P15A0 22 LUBRICATION SYSTEM
P2196 00 UPSTREAM OXYGEN SENSOR SIGNAL
P2271 00 DOWNSTREAM OXYGEN SENSOR SIGNAL
P0299 22 SUPERCHARGING PRESSURE SENSOR
To no surprise when looking at live data graphs there was no turbo output at all I took this as it was dead and my next step was to check that particular area.
Again to no real surprise the turbo was seized in fact the compressor nut was sitting in the compressor housing, the compressor wheel and turbine shaft were jammed solid but somewhat of a result nothing seemed to have broken up no wheel blades ETC so at this point I assumed the engine had not ingested anything, I proceeded to remove the turbo from the engine.
On further inspection the turbo had been installed very poorly the tabs in the gaskets for the oil return pipe and the water feeder pipe had been sandwiched between the turbo and pipe and there was only 3 fixings on it(confirming my theory from earlier the owner was actually talking about himself) (for your info this is a water cooled turbo oil is for lubrication only)
Thinking that its quite unusual for a turbo to fail this early in its life anyway let alone two of them in two months I then turned my investigation as to why this was happening (like the owners friend should have done before he bought and blew another turbo)
So we now no the turbo had failed so that should explain
P2262 72 Regulation of boost pressure different to reference value due to no output by turbo.
P2196 00 Upstream oxygen sensor receiving an incorrect value due to no out put by turbo
P2271 00 Downstream oxygen sensor receiving an incorrect value due to no output by the turbo
P0299 22 Supercharging pressure sensor differential pressure incorrect reading and or different to reference value due to no out put by turbo.
So that clears that up only leaving p15A0 22 LUBRICATION SYSTEM FAULTY.
At this point its fairly obvious as to whats happened to the x2 turbos or for those that don't in a nut shell it has been starved of oil but why.
This baffled me for a while service box sort of points to the degeneration of the timing belt but in my mind I thought well the oil pump isn't even run by the timing belt its suction pumped by chain with a solenoid valve control not even the water pump is driven by the timing belt this has its own drive belt run of the crank pulley.
So further investigation bought me to a repair procedure outlined in the list of fault codes in relation to P15A0 and there is more than one procedure and code for example P15A0 22 refers to a faulty lubrication system as we know but P15A0 21 & 23 refer to specific areas of that lubrication system so it didn't really pin point the exact component or area instead service box did give me a procedure to carry out in relation to the fault code, symptoms and data collected during the initial investigation.

1) Origin- destruction of the timing belt
2) Repair - Reading of the fault codes, check the condition of the filters of the oil pump solenoid valve, condition of the oil pump strainer, condition of the vacum pump oil filter, the condition of the 2 variable timing solenoid valves
3) Replace if necessary- The vacum pump, the timing belt, the lower oil sump, the oil filter and the banjo bolts and seals of the turbo oil feeder pipe.
4)Cleaning- of the vacum pump oil filter, the oil pump solenoid valve, oil pump strainer, and the two variable timing solenoid valves.
5) Read the fault codes- If fault code P15A0 IS PRESENT then follow this procedure in the absence of P15A0 do not follow this procedure.
6)remove the oil pump solenoid vale, check the condition of the filters on the valve.
7) if they are partially or totally clogged clean the filters with a good brake cleaner.
8) Drain the engine oil ( use a good engine flush) and remove the sump pan, check the condition of the oil pump strainer use brake cleaner to clean it thoroughly, replace the sump pan with a bead of gasket sealant.
9) remove the vacum pump, check the condition of the vacum pump oil filter 9mine was so blocked I couldn't even tell it was a filter, if the filter is clogged you must replace the timing belt. ( in accordance with service box repair code 99F61A)
10) Remove the variable timing solenoid valves 1x inlet and 1x exhaust, check the condition of the filters on the valves if they are partially or totally blocked clean them with a good brake cleaner and refit (I replaced these with two after market valves I got them both for less that 40 Peugeot want 119 each for these and 198 for the oil pump solenoid valve)
11) in addition I also had to replace the turbo oil feed pipe plus seals and banjo bolts, sump nut and seal and as recommended I replaced the water pump, water pump drive belt, alternator belt, timing belt, oil filter, air filter and spark plugs, I'm not saying these service parts should have been done but I personally think that the up keep of this vehicle played a massive part in the demise of this engine and had it been serviced or at least maintained the outcome wouldn't have been quite as catastrophic as it was thats without mentioning turbo number 3 that had to be installed (correctly).

The car has now been back on the road 5 weeks and by all accounts driving well, the moral of the story is don't ignore your vehicles warning signals, do not try to diagnose things you no nothing about, maintain your vehicle regularly and in my opinion these should have a full service 6 monthly especially the T9 & EB2DT as they are renowned for carbon build up.

I hope this is of some use.
andro2001 and 3MAJ like this.
amiejane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in