Fuel filter priming issues - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2014+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-06-19, 10:11 AM   #1

Default Fuel filter priming issues

Hi guys, really need some help to try and get my 308 running again.

We changed the oil filter, fuel filter and air conditioning condenser yesterday and everything went smoothly or so I thought.

We come to prime the new fuel filter and after pumping for god knows how long using the button on top of the fuel filter housing nothing has happened.

The resistance in the button hasn't changed and the filter isn't full of fuel.

I don't know if the button is broken? It is pushing something out but not at any great rate but its a tiny button so I don't know how much it should be pushing every pump. Is there a way that we can manually fill it and get the system going.

What should I be looking at as potential other issues. The tank is just over half full and there is so little to go wrong with replacing the fuel filter that I can't think its a bad install. We ended up putting the old filter back in when the light died as a last hope but it didn't make any different as we assumed it wouldn't.

Any ideas? We got our breakdown out in the hope they could do something but he wasn't massively useful and basically told us he thinks the pump is dead or something is clogged and will cost us a small fortune to get it fixed. He looked at the engine, got me to turn it over a few times and that was it.
mctrials23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-06-19, 10:27 AM   #2

i dont know what engine is yours, but on mine 1.6 bluehdi 120 i didnt have to prime the fuel filter, just replaced it and that was it, no priming at all.. are you sure everything is correctly connected and put back together ?
Old 23-06-19, 10:34 AM   #3

Its the 1.6HDi and we took the damn thing out 4-5 times and reconnected the connectors a number of times so I'm pretty sure it was installed OK. The things that's most annoying is that its such a simple thing to replace that I can't imagine how you could mess it up. It can't go in backwards and its so simple.

The manual seems to suggest that it needs priming if the fuel is empty for this one from what I can tell.

Last edited by mctrials23; 23-06-19 at 10:36 AM.

Old 23-06-19, 03:16 PM   #4

Just hooked it up to diagbox and got the error code

P2291

Cleared all codes around the engine related stuff and that was the only one that came up afterwards. Does that help at all?
Old 23-06-19, 04:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWest View Post
i dont know what engine is yours, but on mine 1.6 bluehdi 120 i didnt have to prime the fuel filter, just replaced it and that was it, no priming at all.. are you sure everything is correctly connected and put back together ?
Did you have to cycle the ignition a few times before starting or did you put new fuel in the new filter at all when fitting?
Chris-Foci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-06-19, 04:48 PM   #6

Check the fuel lines from the filter for a priming bulb most normal 1.6 HDI have them and not a in tank pump.

I have never seen one with a primer on the fuel filter your code is for low fuel pressure.
Old 23-06-19, 04:49 PM   #7

Well it's what you'd expect if there's no fuel present in the high pressure pump.

Quote:
What Does P2291 Code Mean? The Injector Control Pressure Sensor (ICP) monitors the oil pressure that controls the fuel injectors. ... The engine computer (PCM) monitors fuel pressure when the engine is running. If the oil pressure is too low, code P2291 will be stored.
The handbook suggests you do the priming again and then try to start the engine again but I presume you've already tried that.

Is the fuel filter bowl completely dry of fuel? It will take a lot of presses on the little button to bring fuel from the tank and then bring the level up in the bowl if so. Try pouring some spotless diesel into the bowl and then put the filter in. Reconnect everything up and try the process again.
Old 23-06-19, 07:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
Check the fuel lines from the filter for a priming bulb most normal 1.6 HDI have them and not a in tank pump.

I have never seen one with a primer on the fuel filter your code is for low fuel pressure.
Its definitely got a button pump on the fuel filter housing and the manual references it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-R View Post
Well it's what you'd expect if there's no fuel present in the high pressure pump.

The handbook suggests you do the priming again and then try to start the engine again but I presume you've already tried that.

Is the fuel filter bowl completely dry of fuel? It will take a lot of presses on the little button to bring fuel from the tank and then bring the level up in the bowl if so. Try pouring some spotless diesel into the bowl and then put the filter in. Reconnect everything up and try the process again.
We have tried:

Pumping for ages before starting the car. Pump button never gets any harder to press and car doesn't start.

Putting oil into the filter until its coming out and then trying to to start it.

Putting oil into the filter until its full and then pumping for ages before trying to start it.

I am thinking of buying a replacement fuel filter housing in case that is damaged in some way because I have no idea what else could have happened. This isn't a fault that developed out of the blue as such. We changed the fuel filter (along with the oil filter/oil and the air con condenser) and the car wouldn't start.

We have had the filter out a good 8 times now trying different things and making sure it will installed into the housing properly.

Last edited by mctrials23; 23-06-19 at 07:51 PM.
Old 23-06-19, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Foci View Post
Did you have to cycle the ignition a few times before starting or did you put new fuel in the new filter at all when fitting?
no, just fitted new filter in, put everything together and start it ..
Old 23-06-19, 08:51 PM   #10

This might sound stupid but are the pipes connected the right way round, i.e. to the correct stubs on the filter, or is it not possible to make that mistake on these filters? I know it's possible on some.
rosinsky likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.6THP GTLine EAT6 Leather+Grip+ACC+O&G+Smart Boot
mooi1uk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in