Fuel Consumption - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2014+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-09-18, 09:49 AM   #1

Default Fuel Consumption

HI we've just bought a 2017 Automatic 1.2 130 model. However we've noticed an issue with the fuel consumption, we've managed about 100 miles on 45... online seems to state the car should do 42-72mpg (i know excessive) the car shows that it is average 32mpg. We've got it booked in with peugeot for the 10th october and they say it needs a new software download. Im wondering if this is a common fault or anyone has an idea whats going on?

We put 10 in yesterday, i've done about 15 miles and the fuel light is back on, i cant visibly smell or see any fuel leaks.
lavster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-09-18, 10:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavster View Post
HI we've just bought a 2017 Automatic 1.2 130 model. However we've noticed an issue with the fuel consumption, we've managed about 100 miles on 45... online seems to state the car should do 42-72mpg (i know excessive) the car shows that it is average 32mpg. We've got it booked in with peugeot for the 10th october and they say it needs a new software download. Im wondering if this is a common fault or anyone has an idea whats going on?

We put 10 in yesterday, i've done about 15 miles and the fuel light is back on, i cant visibly smell or see any fuel leaks.
Disclaimer....I may be wrong....

Have you changed from a car with a bigger engine or more Torque?

Driving a 1.2 with 130 bhp, it relies heavily upon the Turbo to give it extra oomph therefore requiring a deeper stamp on the accelerator.

Every car I've seen with small engines (1.0 to 1.3) seem to have rubbish mpg against what is claimed due to the driver needing to apply more acceleration to drive as they would any other car normally. It would reach the claimed figures but only if you drove miss daisy.
2Stevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-09-18, 10:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stevo2 View Post
Disclaimer....I may be wrong....

Have you changed from a car with a bigger engine or more Torque?

Driving a 1.2 with 130 bhp, it relies heavily upon the Turbo to give it extra oomph therefore requiring a deeper stamp on the accelerator.

Every car I've seen with small engines (1.0 to 1.3) seem to have rubbish mpg against what is claimed due to the driver needing to apply more acceleration to drive as they would any other car normally. It would reach the claimed figures but only if you drove miss daisy.
Thanks for your reply, we've changed from a 1.4 Diesel 208.
Whilst i expected worse economy, the dash tells me im doing 34mpg... id expect to get more than 95 miles out of 45 of petrol even if yes it is a bit thirstier on the fuel?

Last edited by stevoxsi; 29-09-18 at 09:31 AM.

Old 28-09-18, 10:57 AM   #4

The official quoted figures are always rubbish.
There is an online real world fuel consumption checker on the Peugeot website which will give a little more accurate idea of what you might expect.

But quoting cost of fuel against approximate distance is not very accurate.

The only really accurate way is to fill the tankk, reset the trip. Wait till you have emptied it then refill, note mileage on trip and quantity of fuel put in. Then do the sums. But in my experience the trip average fuel consumption reading is fairly accurate. But you need to average over more miles.
Old 28-09-18, 11:38 AM   #5

I have the same car as you, but a 2015 model with 24,000 miles on it. We average 44 mpg on mixed driving, but short journeys get about 37mpg.

By way of comparison, my previous 2014 308 2.0 Bluehdi auto did 52mpg on mixed driving and 47mpg on shorter journeys.
MikeKiernan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-09-18, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKiernan View Post
I have the same car as you, but a 2015 model with 24,000 miles on it. We average 44 mpg on mixed driving, but short journeys get about 37mpg.

By way of comparison, my previous 2014 308 2.0 Bluehdi auto did 52mpg on mixed driving and 47mpg on shorter journeys.
Thanks for this, even as low as 35mpg i'd expect us to have got about 70 miles out of 10, not 6 miles... we'll fill it up today and then work it out to when its empty
Old 28-09-18, 06:19 PM   #7

Further to my previous post, I have always found it easier to get decent mpg returns from vehicles with bigger, more powerful engines.

I have a 2016 308 GT - 2 litre, 180 bhp.

I drive in quite a spirited manner and average about 41mpg.

That sais it all really.

These so called economical cars with smaller engines and big turbos(relative) do not do what they say on the tin.
Old 28-09-18, 10:56 PM   #8

Isn't that the same as saying, when asked directions to somewhere, "if I were you I wouldn't start from here"?

The right foot makes more difference to fuel consumption than anything else. But yours does seem to be a bit more thirsty than it should be.

Be interesting to see if a new software download makes a difference.
Old 29-09-18, 09:08 AM   #9

Even if it does seem to be a bit thirsty from that small test I really don't think that any real conclusion can be drawn until a proper brim to brim calculation has been made. This will smooth out out some of the small effects that can bedevil these back of the sleeve calculations.

In my experience the on-board computer whilst giving an indication cannot be relied upon for a true figure. Most times it seems to overestimate the mpg but sometimes it can be the other way. I use the instantaneous readout as an reminder to lift off my right foot.
Old 29-09-18, 09:39 AM   #10

Thanks for all your posts on here regarding this. The on board computer seems to be indicating an average of 27mpg which is way below anything I’ve read online. I’ve done what everyone has suggested now, waited for the car to run onto —- miles remaining. Filled it up and now I’ll work out what I’ve done when I get back to 0. It’s booked in anyway for a new software download on 10th October, does anyone know if these sort of things can be to improve economy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in