EAT6 - Is this normal behaviour? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2014+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-19, 05:13 PM   #1

Default EAT6 - Is this normal behaviour?

I have only had my 2017 plate 308 1.2 Puretech 130 bhp / EAT6 automatic gearbox for 5 weeks and so I am still getting used to it. I bought it from Peugeot owned Robins & Day. Mileage is now 23400 and manufacturer’s warranty until June 2021 (I purchased an extra 12 months warranty). Today I experienced the following behaviour: -

Scenario: - Ambient temperature 18 deg. C and engine warm after driving 5 minutes and 1 ˝ miles on normal single carriage roads with 40 mph speed limit. Entered slip-road to join motorway and accelerated moderately to about 45 mph but then opted to accelerate quickly to get in front a vehicle in the inside lane of the motorway so I ‘floored’ the accelerator.

Result: - What seemed like a lot of ‘slip’ from the EAT6 and not accelerating as fast as I expected from a 130 bhp engine with lots of torque. It must have taken around 3 seconds before the EAT6 sorted itself and the ‘slip’ disappeared.

Observation: - This is not very safe. When you want (or need) to accelerate quickly to get out of a situation you want an instant response and time delays like this can be dangerous.

Question: - Is this a fault or is it normal behaviour?

If it is normal behaviour then I will need to adapt my driving style to account for this delay and hope that I never need to accelerate suddenly and quickly in the future.
Advertisement

Old 01-07-19, 05:59 PM   #2

Hi there. Even in the 2.0 litre hdi with 180 bhp and 400 Nm (my case), there is a small lag between a normal throttle position and WOT (wide open throttle). Its called turbo lag, and its a very old, known "thing" of turbo equipped motors. Between you pressing the pedal, the turbo spooling up to the nedded oommpff, and then the gearbox handling the power, there is a lag. You should get used to it.

edit: You can always manually shift-down right before pressing the gas pedal to WOT position...this way you loose some of the gearbox lag time, and the turbo lag time will also decrease, I think.

Last edited by rosinsky; 01-07-19 at 06:08 PM.
rosinsky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-19, 06:13 PM   #3

What fuel are you using?

I find my Puretech 130 really loves Shell V power unleaded & responds extremely well when I press the accelerator.
I know mines a 6 speed manual but they should be pretty comparable performance wise.

I would like to get it on a rolling road as I don't believe the 130 BHP figure quoted by Peugeot, I reckon its slightly higher.

Old 01-07-19, 06:39 PM   #4

I last filled up with Tesco Momentum99 petrol (99 RON) about 200 miles ago. Appreciate what you say about Shell V-Power but I live rurally and the routes I take do not take me near Shell fuel stations. I reckon I would have to detour 3 miles off-route to fill-up with V-Power. I have easy access to Texaco, Sainsbury and Tesco fuels and I buy the best grade they sell.

Re the turbo lag comment - I felt the engine was spinning up OK but the car was not acceleration to suit. It felt like the EAT6 was slow to kick down gears and sort itself out.
Old 02-07-19, 06:48 AM   #5

Although the comments RE fuel (V Power is by far the best) and the engine are helpful, they do not address your original query.

What you describe is nothing to do with the engine and entirely to do with the gearbox.

The gearbox is designed to slip in both 2nd and 3rd gear when the revs are below 1000 rpm ( it is in my GT 180 diesel - may be slightly different for you). Before flooring it, you need to ensure the revs are above 1000rpm ( or whatever the basline is for your car) and the gearbox is fully engaged. As has been mentioned, manually dropping it down a gear helps to ensure you are. Personally I drive most of the time in manual mode so I know exacy what the revs are and what gear I am in. I hate how the EAT6 is so eager to change up so quickly. It is a lot smoother if you do it yourself.

If you are below the basline revs in 3rd gear, which I predict you were on this occassion, it does slip too much when flooring it. But just a characteristic of the gearbox.

Long story short, ensure the gearbox is fully engaged before flooring it.

Last edited by 2Stevo2; 02-07-19 at 07:48 AM.
2Stevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-19, 07:16 AM   #6

As above or perhaps use the 'manual mode' to change gear when you want to give it some......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007.. 407swgt...2018..3008 1.6 thp gt line auto...owned most models since 1985...phew..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-19, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stevo2 View Post
Although the comments RE fuel (V Power is by far the best) and the engine are helpful, they do not address your original query.

What you describe is nothing to do with the engine and entirely to do with the gearbox.

The gearbox is designed to slip in both 2nd and 3rd gear when the revs are below 1000 rpm ( it is in my GT 180 diesel - may be slightly different for you). Before flooring it, you need to ensure the revs are above 1000rpm ( or whatever the basline is for your car) and the gearbox is fully engaged. As has been mentioned, manually dropping it down a gear helps to ensure you are. Personally I drive most of the time in semi auto mode so I know exacy what the revs are and what gear I am in. I hate how the EAT6 is so eager to change up so quickly. It is a lot smoother if you do it yourself.

If you are below the basline revs in 3rd gear, which I predict you were on this occassion, it does slip too much when flooring it. But just a characteristic of the gearbox.

Long story short, ensure the gearbox is fully engaged before flooring it.
I agree with you! It´s more about the gearbox than the turbo lag...my EAT6 also "slips" a little in between lower gears...I have noticed this between 2nd and 3rd sometimes, accelerating out of a curve from really low revs, at rel. low speed, that it tends to keep the 3rd gear, making it slip for a few moments until the car is at speed to fully unclutch. I imagine that if I do WOT at this moment, the gearbox will take some time to figure itself out...so as I said, in an emergency moment, be prepared to manually pull one down (you can do it even if its not in manual mode, just push the - paddle), and then press hard on the accelerator pedal...I have used the technique for overtaking and it works very well...
rosinsky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-19, 09:05 AM   #8

I recon the previous owner drove like an old man and it rarely got driven properly so the gearbox just went into shock

Seriously though it probably is just lack of use by previous owner try doing it a bit more regularly and i think you will find the issue will improve on its own i also use my stick to change gear on an auto in that type of situation rather than rely on the kick down as they are all quite slow to react.
Old 02-07-19, 02:29 PM   #9

Re lack of use by previous owner - There may be something in that since I believe these gearboxes 'learn' how you drive and changes may confuse them. Tried it again twice today and it seemed OK, the only difference being that the engine was thoroughly hot after driving for 15 miles in warm weather. Also what may have confused the EAT6 before was that I suddenly changed from 'moderate' acceleration to 'full out' acceleration. Today, both times, I did 'full out' acceleration from cruising at 40 mph so I was accelerating from a stable speed.

Maybe pressing the 'Sport' button first before flooring the pedal might help but there may not be time to do this if 'instant' acceleration is needed?

I think I need to employ 'Adaptive Learning' as well as the EAT6 doing it.

Incidentally my car has manual change via the stick and does not have 'paddles'.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Wiganken; 02-07-19 at 02:34 PM.
Wiganken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-19, 02:34 PM   #10

Yes that is basically what i meant auto boxes do indeed adapt to the driver i replaced my box around 6 months ago and it took weeks before it worked the way it should

When i get a new to me auto car i reset the box ecu to get it to learn quicker.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in