Brake pad wear indicator - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2014+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-02-18, 07:33 PM   #1

Default Brake pad wear indicator

Had front tyres replaced this weekend (Primacy 3 with <10K, not impressed giving Efficient Grip Performance @70 a corner a whirl) and garage declared front pads 90% worn. This ties in with 80% worn noted following free inspection getting a recall item done at Peugeot dealer a month or so ago.

Been pricing up new pads and noticed quite a wide selection available based on reg no. search, not relative to brand but in terms of size (relative to disc diameter). How many front disk size variations does an Allure have?

I will rely on garage to obtain and take responsibility for correct fitment but I also noticed pads with and without brake wear indicator 'preparation'.

I would hope to have had some warning indication before 90% worn but nothing seen to date. I can see various brake related icons in the cluster/manual but nothing which appears to relate directly to brake wear

Is brake wear indication present on a 2015 Allure or indeed any 308?? Or is it more likely the brake pads on the parts sites are generic and cover a number of makes and models (including those with brake wear indication..)??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-02-18, 07:59 AM   #2

What indicator? I'm not sure any 308 have some electric indicator which should light some warning light, so if you thinking about that kind of pads - no use of it. Some pads have some metal part within last 10% or so which produce kind of squeaking sound as warning indication.
Sinisha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-02-18, 01:29 PM   #3

I think the intention is that the pads are checked regularly, and not just left until they are worn out.

Last edited by Brilec; 27-02-18 at 08:34 PM.
Brilec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 27-02-18, 06:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilec View Post
I think the intention is that the pads are checked regally, and not just left until they are worn out.
I can't see the Queen being able to check my pads at her age
reliable406 and ShereKhan like this.
Sean2525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-02-18, 06:38 PM   #5

Electrical brake wear indicators as in a wire loop embedded in the pad material which when worn through breaks a circuit and illuminates a warning light.

I wouldn't trust mechanical indicators and I know many people who have not heard (or profess not to have heard) any squealing from the pins, before long they have been down to backing plate on disc action, mmmm grindy

Agree on the inspection and of course pads should last for many miles so wear should be caught well in advance at multiple services, tyre replacements etc.

However at service last July, was told pads would last until next service (this July). For the same monthly mileage pad wear seems to have accelerated as end of pad life approaches so wont make March never mind July Something to be aware of perhaps, if people take dealer advice at face value....

So no sensors on 308 and brake pads with such preparation not required, something to bear in mind during parts search, not sure why it appears as an option, unless pads are a generic multi-vehicle fitment

Anyway getting pads supplied and fitted for around 75 at local National Tyres (inc. 20% discount currently)
Old 27-02-18, 08:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean2525 View Post
I can't see the Queen being able to check my pads at her age
Well maybe you should stand in for her.
Old 28-02-18, 06:06 PM   #7

Peugeot (and other manufacturers) often use a clip in sensor which fits into a notch in the brake pads.

As the pads are shared across various models and ranges the notch in the pads for the sensor is often fitted but not used as they only make one version of the pads. My DS uses prepared for wear indicator pads but does not have the sensors fitted.

It appears that its often the top brake option for a model that uses the wear indicator pads
Old 02-03-18, 09:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oligo333 View Post

Been pricing up new pads and noticed quite a wide selection available based on reg no. search, not relative to brand but in terms of size (relative to disc diameter). How many front disk size variations does an Allure have?

I will rely on garage to obtain and take responsibility for correct fitment but I also noticed pads with and without brake wear indicator 'preparation'.
Best idea to let garage decide. It sounds just like my first car - mk2 Fiat Uno. The mafia sold the contract for parts supply. I had to check the microfiche at dealer to help them work out the Fiat part to order! I thought things like were back in the past...lol!
Old 02-03-18, 09:57 PM   #9

The mafia did not own fiat fiat did not buy in parts they made EVERYTHING in house the uno was made totally by fiat they even had their own metal works on site !

They made fiat 131 models till they had no more rear axles left !

Uno had standard fiat size discs used on most models only the turbo had different discs they were the same ones used on a 131 strada 128 127 etc etc calipers were also the same across the range along with most parts also being used in lancias and seats of the time before seats were VW group they were spanish built fiats !
Old 03-03-18, 10:49 AM   #10

In my experience, all Italian manufacturers, car and motorcycle, use the parts bin method, if it fits, use it. Does make finding the correct part later a bit of a nightmare.
ShereKhan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in