308sw petrol or diesel? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2014+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-08-19, 05:33 PM   #1

Default 308sw petrol or diesel?

Hi, I'm looking at buying a 308sw and looking for advice weather to go to a petrol or diesel, I do 10-12k a year my daliy commute is a round trip of 30miles 15 each way consists of 4 miles of normal roads and rest is motorway and dual carriage ways.. I owned a 308sw gt line 1.6hdi last year I handed the car back to the dealers due to a list of problems first to start it off was the dpf, still not sure if iy was just that car or the fact I wasn't driving it far enough

Last edited by scottcal; 16-08-19 at 05:48 PM.
scottcal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-08-19, 06:18 AM   #2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcal View Post
Hi, I'm looking at buying a 308sw and looking for advice weather to go to a petrol or diesel, I do 10-12k a year my daliy commute is a round trip of 30miles 15 each way consists of 4 miles of normal roads and rest is motorway and dual carriage ways.. I owned a 308sw gt line 1.6hdi last year I handed the car back to the dealers due to a list of problems first to start it off was the dpf, still not sure if iy was just that car or the fact I wasn't driving it far enough

Hi I have a 2016 308sw GT 180 BHP love it I would say that you need to up your mileage or at least give it a burst of speed it barely gets to working temp I would suspect battery not getting enough charge due to short trips as regards to diesel or petrol iv'e had 4 Peugeots all diesel never had a problem serviced to schedule down to what you like.
DonaldF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-08-19, 06:39 AM   #3

For that sort of usage look at the 1.2 Puretech 130 BHP petrol engine.

I can get 43 mpg average around town usage, climate control always on & I dont hang about.

I have seen 54 mpg average on a long run before.

The Puretech 130 is direct injection & like all direct injection petrol engines it can suffer from carbon build up on the back of the inlet valves if it's just trundling about. A visit up near the red line on the rev counter once the engine is up to operating temperature helps prevent this.

Old 17-08-19, 07:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcal View Post

Hi I have a 2016 308sw GT 180 BHP love it I would say that you need to up your mileage or at least give it a burst of speed it barely gets to working temp I would suspect battery not getting enough charge due to short trips as regards to diesel or petrol iv'e had 4 Peugeots all diesel never had a problem serviced to schedule down to what you like.
Hi thanks for the reply. I do tend to do longer runs on a weekend at least twice a month, I've never thought about the battery I own a 207 1.4hdi have done for 6 years doing the same sort of mileage and no problems so far always had it serviced every year and new oil and filter every 5-6k,
Old 17-08-19, 07:18 AM   #5

[QUOTE=Mr Lee;2264862]For that sort of usage look at the 1.2 Puretech 130 BHP petrol engine.

I can get 43 mpg average around town usage, climate control always on & I dont hang about.

I have seen 54 mpg average on a long run before.

The Puretech 130 is direct injection & like all direct injection petrol engines it can suffer from carbon build up on the back of the inlet valves if it's just trundling about. A visit up near the red line on the rev counter once the engine is up to operating temperature helps prevent this.[/QUOTE

Hi thanks for the reply.
That sort of mpg is great, the puretech 130 is the petrol engine I would want as to what I've read about it, it seems a good little engine.
Does it have enough power to overtake it needs be and things like that I currently own a 207 1.4hdi and to be honest it's a little under powered..
Im not the kind of that hangs around so the puretech would have a few visits near the red line now and again
Old 17-08-19, 07:32 AM   #6

130 BHP & 230 Nm from a 1.2 petrol 3 cylinder are plenty for overtaking easily enough.

I use Shell V Power & the engine seems to like it.

Best advice I could give is take one for a long test drive.
Old 17-08-19, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lee View Post
130 BHP & 230 Nm from a 1.2 petrol 3 cylinder are plenty for overtaking easily enough.

I use Shell V Power & the engine seems to like it.

Best advice I could give is take one for a long test drive.
Thanks, I plan on test driving one today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in