308 SW GT Line 2.0 Blue HDi Remap Results - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2014+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-08-18, 09:48 PM   #1

Default 308 SW GT Line 2.0 Blue HDi Remap Results

Hi. Have recently fitted a Racechip GTS ECU add-on to my 2.0 Blue HDi and am happy with the results although I have not had my car assessed on a rolling road yet. Just wondering if anyone else has fitted this same upgrade and how they are getting on with it e.g. any mileage improvement, any rolling road results etc? Thanks.
Jonnypearce likes this.
atariste2018 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-08-18, 08:23 PM   #2

How are you getting on with the chip?
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-08-18, 09:54 PM   #3

Still haven't been on a rolling road yet but am happy with how car feels and drives. If I drive with a light foot fuel economy is better and am getting around 50 mpg in town.

Old 28-08-18, 12:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atariste2018 View Post
Still haven't been on a rolling road yet but am happy with how car feels and drives. If I drive with a light foot fuel economy is better and am getting around 50 mpg in town.
I'm sure that fuel economy could be better with light foot with or without remap.
Sinisha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-08-18, 02:03 PM   #5

Obviously driving sensibly will improve fuel economy. You take 1 car and let 10 people drive it over the same route and you'll get 10 different mpg readings.

Look, my original post was to ask the forum if anyone has remapped their ECU or fitted the add-on device as I have. I am just looking for anyone who has first hand experience.

I am neither a supporter nor opponent of this upgrade. There are obviously pros and cons as have already been mentioned. I chose to try it and so far think my car is better to drive. Do I know for sure that it's better? No. I don't have any recorded stats as yet (rolling road sessions aren't cheap). It just feels better to me.

If someone has personal experiences of a remap or similar to share I am interested to hear from them.
Old 28-08-18, 03:10 PM   #6

What I don't understand is this:

Factory sets up ECU the way they think is correct. Always, but ALWAYS and for any car make/model these tuners come up and build "better map" that gives "better fuel economy", gives "more HP" and "better overall feeling".

Is it possible that ALL the tech people in ALL of the car manufacturers all over the world aren't capable enough to make their own mapping better, to match that after-market mapping?
And even if they are incapable of doing their job (again, ALL of them), why don't they simply buy 1 remapped chip, read it and use that map in factory to program all ECUs right there in factory, and deliver them to customers mapped with "better throttle response", "lower emissions", "lower fuel usage" and "more HP".
Sinisha likes this.
Old 28-08-18, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
What I don't understand is this:

Factory sets up ECU the way they think is correct. Always, but ALWAYS and for any car make/model these tuners come up and build "better map" that gives "better fuel economy", gives "more HP" and "better overall feeling".

Is it possible that ALL the tech people in ALL of the car manufacturers all over the world aren't capable enough to make their own mapping better, to match that after-market mapping?
And even if they are incapable of doing their job (again, ALL of them), why don't they simply buy 1 remapped chip, read it and use that map in factory to program all ECUs right there in factory, and deliver them to customers mapped with "better throttle response", "lower emissions", "lower fuel usage" and "more HP".

A manufacturer designs an engine e.g. the 2.0 litre BlueHDi from Peugeot. Now, this engine will be physically capable of being "setup" by Peugeot to cope with a certain maximum performance level before it becomes unstable/unreliable. Let's say for arguments sake this was 250 bhp (I don't know the actual figure obviously).

Peugeot want to play safe so they setup the engine for 180 bhp and use this version in their GT model. They setup the SAME engine for 150 bhp and use this version in their GT Line model. It saves Peugeot development costs to simply remap one engine several times rather than build different engines for the low, mid and high performance variants.

Peugeot work a compromise between performance and reliability so it goes without saying that it is feasible to remap their engine to alter both performance and fuel consumption e.g. you can forego some performance for better fuel economy or forget about fuel economy and go for all out performance.

The ECU from Racechip that I have has 7 different settings from stock (no change) up to a high performance mode (193 bhp). What it also claims to do is increase bhp by up to 43 and torque by (if I remember correctly) 88 nm. This is an over simplification obviously.

The better fuel economy claims come from the driver changing gear quicker and making use of the extra torque. If the engine is more gutsy then you can drive it at lower rpm, change up the gears sooner there by consuming less fuel.

Obviously if I was to simply hammer the engine then fuel economy would suffer.

I am no expert and I'm sure others will have far more technical understanding than myself but that is how I understand the differences a remap can make.
bluedevil and Skull66 like this.
Old 28-08-18, 07:20 PM   #8
Super Moderator

One of the main reasons a remap can considerably improve a vehicle is because of the limitations placed on the Peugeot tech guys. It's much more difficult for them as their map has to be able to run the car in hot, cold, dusty, wet conditions and in countries with poor fuel quality. So to set a car up for that takes much more skill than a mapper setting a car up for UK conditions where the fuel is good. Not that I'm criticizing these guys, most of them do a superb job, but they have optimal conditions in which to set the car up. Therefore improving power and fuel economy is a fairly easy job for someone who knows what they are doing.

Now, increasing power reduces fuel economy. It has to come from somewhere, but having a better fuel/air mix when you are driving normally, will increase economy. Something the mappers can do by basically telling the car the fuel is better. Drive it like you stole it, mpg worse. Simples.

Having said all this, I've had a few cars on rolling roads, and regardless of the accuracy of the power outputs, some of the torque holes in the map can be horrific!
bluedevil likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have owned: '00 Speedfight2 50cc '96 106 1.5d Escapade '97 306 1.9d D-turbo '99 306 1.9d D-turbo '03 307 2.0hdi 110 Rapier '06 307 2.0hdi 136 XSI '04 Peugeot 206 2.0hdi XSI
stevoxsi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-08-18, 07:24 PM   #9

Also worth noting that you need to do brim to brim check on mpg. Some poor remaps adjust injector calibration maps to get more fuel (Often due to missed limiters restricting fuel). This then fools trip computer as it calculates fuel use based on original calibration map so if they add 10% to map trip unreads by that amount

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 29-08-18, 08:34 PM   #10

I bought a clio DCI recently that had been remapped i was sceptical to say the least im very much in the leave well alone camp.

I have now driven it a few months with a replacement engine as old one was stuffed thats why i got it my findings are that yes it does have a lot more torque and it does indeed pick up quicker etc the engine was a known engine from another car i used regularly with good economy.
The fuel economy is shocking no matter how i drive i can barely manage 50 mpg this car is capable of 65mpg normally so in my view the remap was not worth doing.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in