308 1.2 Puretech Low Speed Pre Ignition LSPI - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2014+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-07-19, 08:16 AM   #1

Default 308 1.2 Puretech Low Speed Pre Ignition LSPI

Hi All,

Having various problems with our 308 1.2 Puretech 130.

Symptoms are hesitation upon accelerating, low speed (engine speed) knock/misfire (around 2k rpm, gentle accelerate - duh duh duh, big loss of power/stutter - almost stall - before going again. Very dangerous)

Garage diagnostics have been at different times overheating / temp sensor issue, catalytic converter error, spark plugs failing/crumbling, misfire.

So far have replaced spark plugs and that seemed to resolve the issue for a couple of months.

However, the issue has returned.

I think this is all due to low speed pre-ignition in the engine.

I use Shell V-Power (99ron) and that helps. My wife just filled it with normal Shell (95ron) and LSPI is back.

The car has been serviced to schedule, I'm not sure what oil the garage used, it wasn't main dealer.

Things to do:

a) I'm also going to change the oil to a LSPI reducing oil. I Millers do a version. New filter as well.

b) May need to change the sparks again if they've been damaged by the LSPI.

Questions:

1) Has anyone else had similar problems - I've seen reports of misfire, error codes etc? Do we think these are all attributed to LSPI? Has any dealer mentioned LSPI?

I've read that they initially just change oil and filter, as oil has a significant impact on LSPI - end game is new engine... (mines out of warrenty so I don't want that)

2) Any recommendations for a LSPI oil that meets PSA standards - could I use 5/30 rather than 0/30?

Thanks,
Rob
Toffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-07-19, 11:08 AM   #2

Car may be out of warranty but major items are supposed to last 6 years. See following link. https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/a...ve-any-rights-

A pity the servicing was not done by main dealer because it would have made claims easier.

Hope this helps.
Old 23-07-19, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiganken View Post
Car may be out of warranty but major items are supposed to last 6 years. See following link. https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/a...ve-any-rights-

A pity the servicing was not done by main dealer because it would have made claims easier.

Hope this helps.
Thanks - someones mentioned there's a ECU update for older cars, which may apply to ours. Will check and get it booked into the dealer. May have to stump up some to get it looked at and oil/filter/sparks, but then at least I'll have something to go back to them with should it reoccur (when it reoccurs...)
Toffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 23-07-19, 02:27 PM   #4

Don't these engines use a wet belt? If so, you *NEED* to use the correct manufacturer recommended engine oil.
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-07-19, 03:38 PM   #5

For these Puretech engines the oil MUST be approved to PSA B71 2312 spec.
Old 23-07-19, 03:52 PM   #6

As BIGK says, on these engines the timing belt runs in an oil bath so it's imperative that oil of the correct spec is used or the belt could be damaged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.6THP GTLine EAT6 Leather+Grip+ACC+O&G+Smart Boot
mooi1uk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-07-19, 02:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lee View Post
For these Puretech engines the oil MUST be approved to PSA B71 2312 spec.
Hi Mate
Our agent used "TOTAL QUARTZ INEO HTC 5W-30" oil in 308 puretech engines now, this oil had "LSPI" solution to prevention LSPI issues.
But this oil is approved to "PSA : PSA B71 2297" not "PSA B71 2312", have any advice?

Thanks.

reference link: https://catalog.totalmarketingmiddle...INEO-HTC-5W-30

https://imgur.com/a/593cy7I

Last edited by powmien; 24-07-19 at 03:02 AM.
powmien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-07-19, 02:18 PM   #8

Both oil specs are approved for this engine ( 2297 and 2312 ). One is 0w30 the other is 5w30 . Both works for this engine . What weather /temperature do you usually drive in ?
Timing belt can still crumble under perfect treatment as described else where in this forum. Have you replaced/examibed belt ?

Last edited by save2; 24-07-19 at 05:10 PM.
save2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-07-19, 12:57 AM   #9

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by save2 View Post
Both oil specs are approved for this engine ( 2297 and 2312 ). One is 0w30 the other is 5w30 . Both works for this engine . What weather /temperature do you usually drive in ?
Timing belt can still crumble under perfect treatment as described else where in this forum. Have you replaced/examibed belt ?
Thank for your info!
My country average temperature between 30~40 degrees C in summer, I will replace my timing belt in 60000 km.

And have anybody hear or know vibration (Idle speed instability) issue about this engines? Our agent only replace spark plug or clean carbon deposit, not complete solution, so vibration again and again, have any advice?

Thanks.

Last edited by powmien; 25-07-19 at 01:17 AM.
powmien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-07-19, 04:00 AM   #10

These engines do vibrate in idle mode. It is a 3 cylinder engine so it is unbalanced.
save2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in