308 1.2 110 THP Cam belt - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2014+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-08-19, 09:33 PM   #1

Default 308 1.2 110 THP Cam belt

Has anyone suffered a cam belt failure after only 56k miles on a 3 1/2 year old car? I am not happy about it. I am quite capable of doing the job myself but find it unacceptable - to be honest I thought it was a chain until I started looking online. I expect the valves will be damaged, but before I take the head off is it likely to have done more damage, i.e. pistons or valve guides?

I will be requiring specs at some point such as torque settings and tightening sequences so I'm hoping someone here can help with that.
alexb1406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-08-19, 10:08 PM   #2

Are you aware that it's a "wet" belt on the 1.2 engine, i.e. the belt runs in engine oil, therefore it may not be as straightforward to replace as a normal cam belt. Also, if you search the forums you will find several instances of cambelt failure on these engines, the belt crumbles and crumbs enter the engine blocking oilways and causing other problems. See here for example

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums...system-333046/

and here

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums...ebuild-340238/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.6THP GTLine EAT6 Leather+Grip+ACC+O&G+Smart Boot

Last edited by mooi1uk; 16-08-19 at 10:22 PM.
mooi1uk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-08-19, 10:18 PM   #3

Yes I am, that's why I thought it was a chain as I couldn't see the conventional covers of a 'normal' belt - but should it fail at 56k miles?

Old 16-08-19, 10:24 PM   #4

Have another look at my reply above, I have now added a couple of search results for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mooi1uk; 16-08-19 at 10:40 PM.
Old 16-08-19, 10:44 PM   #5

Thanks for that, yes I agree that a rubber belt running in oil seems to be a stupid idea - not sure that more frequent oil changes suggested will prolong its life. Sadly I have no history with the car, only had it since April and had a fuel pressure problem that the seller tried to cover up and seems that he tried to fix it but gave up - that's another story but that is now fixed.

Coming back to the present problem I am thinking of approaching Peugeot but without any history I am not hopeful they will do anything about it
Old 17-08-19, 05:03 AM   #6

Maybe a replacement engine from a crashed / damaged car would be a better way forward?

Stripping down, repairing & rebuilding one of these Puretech engines isnt going to be cheap or even easy outside the Peugeot / Citroen dealership network as there are special tools required.
Old 17-08-19, 01:01 PM   #7

Peugout is perfectly aware of the issue, even without history.
Go to them and try. They have a TSB regarding that belt.

Read what guys posted here already.
Especially this thread :
https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums.../333046?page=1
Which was recommended to you.

Last edited by save2; 17-08-19 at 01:07 PM.
save2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-08-19, 01:24 PM   #8

Thank you, yes I read that and I may yet tackle Peugeot on Monday.

I have started on the job and first checked to see if I have any compression in any cylinders. Ok, I can't crank the engine but by carefully turning the camshafts till the valves are closed I put some compressed air into the cylinders and that pushes the pistons down, and I can hear no leaks from either inlet or exhaust ports, so it appears that the valves may be ok. The real test will be once I have the new belt installed to do a compression check before I get everything bolted up. Still need the locking tools for the shafts so the belt isn't off yet, hope to get them this week
mooi1uk likes this.
Old 17-08-19, 02:25 PM   #9

Please keep us posted on progress, it will be interesting to know what sort of job it turns out to be. Best wishes and good luck with it.

Old 17-08-19, 03:16 PM   #10

I will. I still can't believe that no valves have been damaged - ok, it was only a crude test so I'm not holding my breath yet. Can't do anything more with it now till I have the belt and the tools but it does look to be a fairly straightforward job. I have 4 hours in it so far but I'm taking my time as my back is playing up.
mooi1uk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in