1.6 BlueHdi Fuel consumption - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2014+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-03-18, 12:13 AM   #1

Default 1.6 BlueHdi Fuel consumption

Could people with the above engine share what sort of fuel consumption / miles per tank they are getting along with the type of driving they do?

I do mostly motorway with cruise set to 65mph and average around 59mpg and about 500 miles to a tank. I kindve expected a little better so would be great to see what others are getting.
Chris-Foci is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-03-18, 09:52 AM   #2

Saloon or estate? It does make a difference.
There is a real world fuel consumption calculator on the Peugeot website.
Consumption Calculator

But the best I have had with my SW is just over 60, and normally it's nearer 57. But that's not just motorway driving.
Old 24-03-18, 09:55 AM   #3

Mine is a Hatchback.
Chris-Foci is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 24-03-18, 12:12 PM   #4

We took our 308 down to Bicester and back last week. 300 mile round trip using mostly motorway at 65mph (except the bit of the M6 where we're limited to 50mph) and the mpg readout for that is showing 72mpg. The overall mpg readout since I reset it at the beginning of the year (about 1800 miles) is 62mpg.

Those are all from the readout which I surprisingly find accurate. I keep accurate records of fuel fill-ups to the brim and the last several since the beginning of the year are:

mpg miles
58.9 1572
62.3 518
60.4 520
59.2 540

The car is used for quite a lot of motorway and long distance work. When used about town the indicated mpg can drop to mid to high fifties.
Old 24-03-18, 01:38 PM   #5

We regularly drive to Swansea and back (360 miles) and get 60+ mpg driving at 70, mostly on motorways but some A roads as well
BKelman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-03-18, 01:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-R View Post
We took our 308 down to Bicester and back last week. 300 mile round trip using mostly motorway at 65mph (except the bit of the M6 where we're limited to 50mph) and the mpg readout for that is showing 72mpg.
Two days of driving around town and it's dropped to 70.5mpg already!
Old 25-03-18, 08:31 AM   #7

And yet in what appears to be the same car, I rarely get over 60mpg.

But there are so many variables, like which tyres are fitted, was it raining? and so on. Air temperature also affects things.
Old 25-03-18, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilec View Post
But there are so many variables, like which tyres are fitted, was it raining? and so on. Air temperature also affects things.
Good points.

OE fitment Michelin Energysaver pumped up to the high speed / heavy loads pressures. On 16" wheels (standard)
No rain
A very pleasant spring day.

The tyre/wheel combination is more important than people think. The tech spec page I have in front of me gives some interesting facts. Our car (Active spec) has a combined mpg figure of 88.3mpg but the Allure spec has Diamond wheels (still 16") and the mpg is a fraction worse at 85.6mpg. Statistically probably unimportant maybe it shows the trend. And maybe the result of more equipment fitted?

The spec sheet then gives figures for cars with 17/18" wheels (and presumably lower profile and maybe wider tyres) and the combined figure drops to 72.4mpg. That is important, I think.
Old 25-03-18, 12:31 PM   #9

I know my front tyres are not original, they were changed by the dealer before I bought the car. No doubt they were the cheapest available, and at 13k miles the original would not be worn out. I will look at getting more energy efficient ones next time. Same dealer also did a service, so though the oil specified is 0W30, I don't know what's in there. again this might have some effect.
But part worn tyres are not as good as new either.

I read the spec of 80+ mpg and was disappointed when it was only marginally better than my previous 308SW, old shape. But that was the 90hp engine.
Old 25-03-18, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
But part worn tyres are not as good as new either.
Do you have any information to back that up? I have this feeling that new tyres are not as good for mpg as worn tyres. There will be a small difference in rolling diameter between new and old tyres, yes, but new tyres with a good tread will undergo more "squirm" which will waste power as heat.

Quote:
I read the spec of 80+ mpg and was disappointed when it was only marginally better than my previous 308SW, old shape. But that was the 90hp engine.
Similar experience to ours comparing real world figures against our previous 90bhp Citroen Xsara. That did, in our (mostly mine!) hands, give an average close to the official combined figure of the time. Around town high forties; on a run low fifties and once, on a very leisurely 3000 mile tour round Europe, a best of 64.1mpg

Maybe if we can do similar tour in the 308 this summer I might find we can touch 70?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in