1.2 engine temp - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2014+)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-19, 10:24 AM   #1

Default 1.2 engine temp

Recently got a 1.2 GT Line. Engine light on after about 40miles of ownership due to oxygen sensor. All fixed now, but not a great start.

The engine seems to operate at about 80 degrees. Is that normal for this engine?

I'm wondering how reliable the cars going to be now too!
Advertisement

Old 08-08-19, 05:35 PM   #2

Yep, 80 sounds good to me, exactly the same as mine.

Reliability has been very good on all five Peugeots I have owned so I wouldn't be concerned about that, like all makes you get
the odd one that seems to have never ending problems, its all down to the luck of the draw I'm afraid.
donnyboy likes this.
Old 09-08-19, 07:15 AM   #3

Its second hand so don't know the exact history or treatment. I can look after it from here and hopefully it will be fine.

I looked at few 1.2 review videos and the 80 seems to be the norm on them too.

Old 09-08-19, 07:38 AM   #4

Yep 80 here seems normal.
donnyboy likes this.
Old 11-08-19, 05:35 PM   #5

80 on my 1.2 too.
Had Puegeots now for 20 years, all 3 years+ ownership, some times more than one at a time!
Only issue i have with mine at the moment is very light throttle, it causes slight hesitation like a mini missfire when going 20mph+ (and i mean very light throttle). And at idle it wont seem let you control the revs <1500. all of a sudden when applying it lightly it jumps to 1500 and if you let off ever so slightly it drops back to 8/900. Peugeot say its 'normal' on new cars but wont let me test any others in stock.
Old 11-08-19, 05:46 PM   #6

Could be a communication problem ,between accelerator TPS (throttle position sensor) and throttle body or maybe just a loose connection,best have the car scanned for any codes.
Old 11-08-19, 05:52 PM   #7

The Peugeot dealership scanned it, and even updated some software/firmware.
The sales guy even tried it and hummed, but eventually said it was normal and all cars do it! Probably because he didn't have an answer and to get me to leave. Its like at idle you cant hold the revs at anything below 1500 as it jumps straight to it, or drops past it. I have Diagbox but the car is too new for it.
Old 11-08-19, 06:28 PM   #8

Lightbulb 90c

Normal coolant temp for petrol engines is around 90c i recall, although it doesnt sound like your problem is connected directly to coolant temp, a faulty thermostat can cause the engine to get up to temperature more slowly than normal, the temp gauge on most modern cars is more like a vague indicator or all ok, or somethings wrong,

have you tried plugging a simple and low cost obd reader into the port in the centre console ? this will give you plenty of info including an accurate temperature that the coolant sensor is seeing and other info that might help with your problem, if you have an android tablet or phone you can use the free torque app, and with an elm327 bluetooth dongle (around a fiver) you can see a lot more of what is going on. I tried this setup on my 308 shortly after buying it and it works great, you can also see any logged fault codes which might be there.. I used this to locate a similar problem on another car which turned out to have a faulty stat, and would only get to 80c.

hope thats some help
turnip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-19, 08:09 PM   #9

Could be a defective throttle potentiometer.
IanML is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-19, 07:54 AM   #10

80 is a little low but let's face it, the temperature gauges on cars are only an indication. They are not calibrated precision instruments. As long as the indicator isn't at zero or in the red there shouldn't be much to worry about temperature wise.

In my immediate family over the past 5 years or so we have had.......

2 x 307's
1 x 308
2 x 2008's
3 x 207's

Both 307's and one of the 207's had over 100k miles on the clock when purchased with one of the 307's on around 185k when it was traded in for the 308.

Not one of the 8 cars has given any issues beyond normal wear & tear and the only time any have refused to start was when the batteries needed replacing long after the recommended replacement dates.

Yes, there will be some Peugeots that make it out into the wild that are lemons as is the case with every manufacturer but in my personal experience they are extremely reliable. Granted, 8 cars is a very small cross section in the grand scheme of things but it is still a 100% success rate. My family's experience of Peugeot cars is that they are extremely reliable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in