What's this all about? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By reliable406

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-03-19, 03:46 PM   #1

Default What's this all about?

308 2008 1.4 vti.

Good job I was wearing my rather fetching brown slacks last night - as a 'Antipollution Faulty' message popped up.

Got it onto PP2000 - the error message is:

'Permanent fault. Exhaust variable timing electrovalve control. Open circuit.'

Cleared the error and restarted - fault has now gone - drove home no problems. Even when the fault was showing there was none of the usual 'limp home' mode.

So, what is the car telling me, and do I need to have another pair of brown trousers to hand?
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-19, 05:00 PM   #2

Could be a spurious warning. Sometimes a voltage glitch can do that. Especially true when operating the starter. 50% of my cold starts give me a warning bong with no indicated symptoms. C'est une Peugeot. C'est la vie.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-03-19, 05:20 PM   #3

Or as I would call it.....a glitch in the matrix.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007.. 407swgt...2018..3008 1.6 thp gt line auto...owned most models since 1985...phew..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 31-03-19, 10:03 PM   #4

The fault basically means the solenoid is not working and the antipollution fault MESSAGE comes on to alert the driver of an issue its not worth getting any more brown trousers its normal peugeot system rubbish ANY issue throws up antipollution.

Not all issues have any noticeable symptoms and it may well be a glitch due to low voltage bad connections whatever.
clanless likes this.
Old 04-04-19, 06:02 PM   #5

It came back and went away again today.

Anyhow - a bit of research on google - and I've a pretty good idea how to sort this out.

My EP3 has two VANOS solenoid valves - to control emissions - the exhaust valve acts like the good old EGR.

Luckily, the exhaust solenoid is on the front left top of the engine - easy to get to. It is replaced by taking off the electrical connection and removing a single 10mm bolt. The values themselves are 20 quid each.

I'm in no particular rush to change as its intermittent and doesn't change how the car drives.
Old 05-04-19, 02:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanless View Post
It came back and went away again today.

Anyhow - a bit of research on google - and I've a pretty good idea how to sort this out.

My EP3 has two VANOS solenoid valves - to control emissions - the exhaust valve acts like the good old EGR.

Luckily, the exhaust solenoid is on the front left top of the engine - easy to get to. It is replaced by taking off the electrical connection and removing a single 10mm bolt. The values themselves are 20 quid each.

I'm in no particular rush to change as its intermittent and doesn't change how the car drives.
There is 2, theres one at the back too, and that is a big PITA to get too.
Seanie280672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-19, 06:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanie280672 View Post
There is 2, theres one at the back too, and that is a big PITA to get too.
The exhaust one is one on the front...I think.....

I've decided to take it into the garage to sort out tomorrow - I'll be supping tea while the mechanic skins his knuckles.
Old 21-04-19, 05:55 PM   #8

Just to wrap this one up.

Mechanic said these solenoids rarely fail - he was right - he took it out - cleaned it - and all has been well. All wiring was checked as well.

There's a fine mesh on the solenoid that gets clogged up by bits and pieces as the oil passes through it.

He had a 'concerned' look on his face when he showed me the gunky solenoid - yea - the engines only done 100k plus - its bound to be squeeky clean inside - I thought - I was too polite to say this out loud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in