What is a realistic MPG? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise


Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-09-13, 07:27 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Staines-Upon-Thames
Posts: 20
Arrow What is a realistic MPG?

HI Guys

I have a 1.6 Petrol and an currently getting an average of 28MPG from it.

The car is telling me it should be achieveing around 38 on the display thing..

I was wondering what sort of ACTUAL MPG others are getting when commuting / on a motorway run and if there was anything i could do to improve this (sea foam, injector cleaner, engine flush ect.)

And before the obvious answer comes up i am not racing it, powersliding, redlining or excessivly speeding so that is not a cause :P

Thanks

Z
zwilcoxen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 23-09-13, 08:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ash1293's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: York
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwilcoxen View Post
I have a 1.6 Petrol and an currently getting an average of 28MPG from it.

The car is telling me it should be achieveing around 38 on the display thing..
First thing I would ask is how are you calculating MPG? Not being funny just the onboard display is not usually that far out.

Once we know that is correct we can start to eliminate what may be causing a lowish mpg.

Mixed driving I would have expected mid 30's but I could be wrong.
ash1293 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-09-13, 08:13 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Staines-Upon-Thames
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash1293 View Post
First thing I would ask is how are you calculating MPG? Not being funny just the onboard display is not usually that far out.

Once we know that is correct we can start to eliminate what may be causing a lowish mpg.

Mixed driving I would have expected mid 30's but I could be wrong.
I am calculating MPG using the good ol' fashon method of fill tank zero trip counter fill up again when nearly empty then devide miles driven by gallons used. on average getting 288miles to about 51 quid....

just seemed bizarre that the OBD was so far out from the Actual.....

I was not expecting amazing economy given i sit in traffic doing the daily commute but 28MPG for a newish car being driven reasonably economically seems a tad low.....
zwilcoxen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 23-09-13, 08:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
ash1293's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: York
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwilcoxen View Post
I am calculating MPG using the good ol' fashon method of fill tank zero trip counter fill up again when nearly empty then devide miles driven by gallons used. on average getting 288miles to about 51 quid....

just seemed bizarre that the OBD was so far out from the Actual.....

I was not expecting amazing economy given i sit in traffic doing the daily commute but 28MPG for a newish car being driven reasonably economically seems a tad low.....

Assuming 1.35 per litre, 51 buys you 37.78 litres.

37.78 litres equates to 8.31 uk gallons.

Covering 288 miles would equate to 34.66mpg.

To me that would sound about right for a 1.6 petrol in a fairly big bodied car with a range of mixed driving.
ash1293 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-09-13, 09:11 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Staines-Upon-Thames
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash1293 View Post
Assuming 1.35 per litre, 51 buys you 37.78 litres.

37.78 litres equates to 8.31 uk gallons.

Covering 288 miles would equate to 34.66mpg.

To me that would sound about right for a 1.6 petrol in a fairly big bodied car with a range of mixed driving.
Thanks i was trusting an app to do the hard work for me doh...

Ater sitting down and abusing a calculator it seems more like 34 mpg per week (a tad more reasonable).

Is that about right for the commute... or could it be improved with some cleaning/ tuning ?!?

Thanks for the heads up on my error.... never trust an app lol

z
zwilcoxen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-09-13, 09:18 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ash1293's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: York
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwilcoxen View Post
Is that about right for the commute... or could it be improved with some cleaning/ tuning ?!?
All depends on your typical journey but I'd say it sounds about right.

What distance/average speed is your commute? Won't be at its best until up to temperature and even less so if its all stop/start.

A steady cruise at 50/60 is where your optimum probably lies. With a manufacturer claim of around 42mpg I reckon 34pmg is quite reasonable.

If you want to try and improve all I'd do is make sure its had fresh oil/air filters, change of oil, and tyres are up to correct pressure. Maybe a fuel treatment if you really want.
ash1293 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-09-13, 10:34 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Staines-Upon-Thames
Posts: 20
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash1293 View Post
All depends on your typical journey but I'd say it sounds about right.

What distance/average speed is your commute? Won't be at its best until up to temperature and even less so if its all stop/start.

A steady cruise at 50/60 is where your optimum probably lies. With a manufacturer claim of around 42mpg I reckon 34pmg is quite reasonable.

If you want to try and improve all I'd do is make sure its had fresh oil/air filters, change of oil, and tyres are up to correct pressure. Maybe a fuel treatment if you really want.
Thanks for all the help ash.

The app was using US gallons not proper gallons and my economy looks a tad better now :-)

Average commute is 16ish miles and about an hour and mainly stop/start..

Will have to try going in a bit earlier and different routes to see if i can make a difference....

It had a full service just before i purchassed it and the tyres are at a good pressure. Think i might give fuel treatment a go but not holding my breath for a miracle.

Again thanks for the tips :-D
zwilcoxen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-14, 07:33 AM   #8
Inactive User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 66
Default

If it helps, I have a 308 1.6 GTI (200 THP) which averages about 6.8-7.0L / 100KM. Might take a bit of tweaking to get it into MPG figures. I do a mix of town and freeway driving, moderate to heavy traffic (30%/70% split), don't hoon around too much, and stick to the speed limit.
__________________
2011 308 1.6 THP 200 GTI
308GTI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:16 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.