Volume restricted due to 'temperature' exceeded - anyone else ever seen this? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-06-17, 02:45 AM   #1

Default Volume restricted due to 'temperature' exceeded - anyone else ever seen this?

Hi all.
I am based in Melbourne, Australia.
I have a 2014 Oct build Allure (petrol turbo 1.2)
I bought it brand new in October 2016 (assuming it was in the docks for 18 months or so).
Lovely car, however have had some minor niggles here.
Posting this recent issue.
I was driving between Melbourne and Bendigo (approx 2 hours), and approx 1.5 hours into the freeway drive listening to my connected iPod (via USB cable into the main console - not the one next to the steering wheel), I got this odd message "(i) CONSOLE TEMPERATE EXCEEDED - VOLUME RESTRICTION IN PLACE" and the volume of the stereo was limited to level 15.
I rang the dealer immediately, as I have another ongoing issue with the radio FM reception. They recorded this down.
The volume returned approx 15 minutes later after a message came up along the lines of "VOLUME RESTORED".
Q - Has anyone else come across this? This is 'highly' irregular.
Some interesting observations:
- It's bloody winter here ie the cabin temperature was around a cruisy 22deg celsius, and outside approx 15 (nothing like a summer day here!)
- It was during an iPod connected music session
Overall I have been quite displeased with the sound/music quality of my system (compared to the Ford Focus 2012 and VW Golf 2014 I was driving).
Any feedback from your subject matter experts would be great, as well as anyone else that has come across this.
Thanks
Sarj Oz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-06-17, 06:35 AM   #2

I've got a removable (docking cradle) aftermarket HU which of itself doesn't generate much heat (doesn't have internal amplifiers, only low-level outputs) and it gets warm/hot when it's cold outside and I'm running warm/hot air into the cabin, I presume due to the proximity to the air ducts.
On the other hand, in the summer when running the A/C, the HU is quite cold on removal.
Old 21-06-17, 07:58 AM   #3

I had something similar on my 307 during a particularly warm few days in the UK. Others with 307's have also experiencd this with some even fitting a fans to try and cool things down. There is a safety thermistor monted on the same heatsink as the output amplifier chips. These are to protect the amplifier(s) burning themselves out due to excessive heat. Most (if not all) car stereo's will be fitted with thermistors these days and some cars have cooling fans fitted as stock - especially those with larger colour screens like the RT systems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 21-06-17, 08:06 AM   #4

Thanks mate. Appreciate the comms. That sort of makes sense. Which is why it's even more odd as well it was a bloody cold day here (it's winter, and it was around 12-13degrees celsius outside). Cabin temperature was set to around 22degrees.
Having had the car just 8 months, I am a little bit concerned that something like this occurred - I was wondering if it 'could' be related to having the iPod connected? It's odd - I have driven with an iPod connected on a long drive approx 2-3 hours with no problem, and, it was much warmer outside. This was just after around 45 minutes.
Baffled.
Old 21-06-17, 08:34 AM   #5

The RT3/4 units also do this and disable the phone section when they get too hot they have small fans fitted but its still not enough and they still get too hot !
Old 21-06-17, 03:14 PM   #6

Possibly heat from the vent pipes radiating up and warming the head unit up. If it becomes a regular occurence it could well be the thermistor is on it's way out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 23-06-17, 06:03 AM   #7

Thanks guys. I have reported this (and my radio issue) to the dealership.
I wonder if it's connected to something else I noticed - when connecting my iPhone to the console via the USB connector, well, first the phone doesn't charge much at all and second the phone 'does' get warm. My phone was connected for it's music when the incident occurred, via the USB port - I am 'wondering' if it's all connected?
I only purchased the vehicle in Oct last year - am really hoping this isn't the start of more malicious symptoms this early in it's lifecycle :-( Still, I guess best it occurs now than when not under warranty!
Old 23-06-17, 10:06 AM   #8

Interesting, I recently noted my Windows phone hardly charged up at all when connected to the USB. I haven't bothered with streaming, as I loaded everything via a USB stick into the juke box.
Old 19-07-17, 11:22 AM   #9

Mine did this today ,after a week of the USB int working ,me keep having to un plug and plug back in to make it work ,today the message came up on the screen about the volume being restricted . Im guessing its all related .Not really a proper solution by Peugeot to just display a message and restrict the sound rather that cure the problem.
Jules_525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-07-17, 11:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_525 View Post
Mine did this today ,after a week of the USB int working ,me keep having to un plug and plug back in to make it work ,today the message came up on the screen about the volume being restricted . Im guessing its all related .Not really a proper solution by Peugeot to just display a message and restrict the sound rather that cure the problem.
Do you honestly believe Peugeot manufacture the system??

Nope - they buy them in so it is the manufacturer who designs the thermal safety feature not Peugeot. It's better to display a message as to why the volume cannot go any higher than no message ar all. Or perhaps you would prefer the thermal safety feature to be removed so the amplifier I.C's can carry on pumping too much current through themselves until they burn out ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in