Variable Valve timing solenoids - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-10-17, 02:24 PM   #1

Default Variable Valve timing solenoids

My 308 S has had a bit of a stutter for a while, mainly in low gear - the garage has diagnosed an incoherence in the variable valve timing solenoid but can't tell if it's the inlet or the exhaust.. Apparently they are identical but cost 96 each.

he's also not 100% sure if this is the fault.

Has anyone come across this situation before and can advise or enlighten me ?
ks10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-10-17, 04:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks10 View Post
My 308 S has had a bit of a stutter for a while, mainly in low gear - the garage has diagnosed an incoherence in the variable valve timing solenoid but can't tell if it's the inlet or the exhaust.. Apparently they are identical but cost 96 each.

he's also not 100% sure if this is the fault.

Has anyone come across this situation before and can advise or enlighten me ?
Ok - got sent to garage with a proper peugeot diagnostics - mechanic there said it was very rare for these valves to fail, and the diagnostic didn't show anything wrong, but he said what normally causes this issue is the wrong oil, dirty oil or low oil...mine was a bit low but he said get it flushed and refilled with the correct oil and that 'should' fix it ! It goes back in the morning for them to do this, and if anyone is interested I'll report back whether it's fixed the problem.
Old 25-10-17, 08:30 PM   #3

Also worth cleaning the screens on the solenoids as they clog if oil changes are missed
ks10 likes this.

Old 25-10-17, 10:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
Also worth cleaning the screens on the solenoids as they clog if oil changes are missed
Cheers, I'll mention that to my mechanic tomorrow
Old 08-11-17, 04:24 PM   #5

ok, 2 weeks later and all seemed well, until this morning when the dreaded stutter was as bad as it had ever been, even in 3rd gear it was stuttering randomly . it felt a bit like the auto choke wasn't working but it still did it after the engine reached normal temperature.

A new thing though, there was a bad smell - like burning dirty oil sort of smell ? This was a bit alarming as it was a kind of 'hot' smell if you know what I mean.

So I don't know now what's up with it. It's so random (although was always prevalent first thing ) but on my return journey it was absolutely fine.
Old 08-11-17, 07:24 PM   #6

Are you using the correct grade oil. My daughter's car had issues with timing faults when i used 0/40 instead of 5/30 trying to address high oil consumption switched back to correct oil and problems stopped
Old 09-11-17, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
Are you using the correct grade oil. My daughter's car had issues with timing faults when i used 0/40 instead of 5/30 trying to address high oil consumption switched back to correct oil and problems stopped
Yes, the garage flushed the system and filled with the correct grade, replaced the filter and cleaned the two solenoids. They said to try it for a few days and see how it went. It gradually improved over 4 or 5 days so I was happy we'd found the problem. However, as I posted, it all went a bit crazy the other day. One thing I have done in addition, yesterday, is to pour in some stuff into my petrol that cleans and clears the jets etc...just in case it's a fuel issue.

My other observation, having read up a bit about the smell I experienced, was whether it is a clutch problem ? That's either a slipping clutch (which I'd probably know about) or oil leaking onto the clutch ? I'm probably just grasping at straws now I suppose.
Old 23-11-17, 10:48 AM   #8

I read somewhere that a 'clogged' up camshaft solenoid can affect the fuel supply..I wonder if this is related to my 'stuttering' issue, which is still happening but much reduced. The smooth acceleration I had before this issue is interspersed with what feels like 'flat spots'.. Don't know whether to just live with it or keep chasing down the issue. The diagnostic didn't find anything electrical, but I also read there is a history within the diagnostic that records certain issues ? Not sure I've described this right, but is it worth having it checked. I've a local garage with the peugeot diagnostic m/c ..is it worth going back and having a word ? I'm really stumped with this tbh.
Old 26-11-17, 02:28 PM   #9

Things have moved on with this now- cold weather has worsened the situation. last 2 mornings, got in car, started up..tickover ok, put into 1st, foot on accelerator..goes about5 yards then just slows down and revs drop even when foot is half way down accelerator. So take foot of pedal, then push down again and nothing for a few seconds..then it revs and moves off...and carries on with this cycle of 'dying' them picking up for a few minutes.

Later in the day I sat in the car as it was ticking over, parked, put foot on pedal and nothing happened, no revs increase - it's like it's flooded although I can't smell any petrol.

Today it actually 'died' on me while I was driving, while the engine was still cold..which is worrying..it didn't stall, just no acceleration...so it slowed down (was going up a hill).

Eventually, as the car slowly warned up this problem went away, although it continued to stutter in all gears...hesitant acceleration, and not a smooth gear up acceleration - can feel the car sort of bumping along although not so severe it slowed me down much.

It feels like it's going to die at any moment, and it also seems to take ages warming up although it does get 90c eventually...similarly the heater takes ages to push through hot air.

I don't know if the two are related or just a coincidence.

I don't have any warning signals flashing up, there's fuel in the tank, etc

So anyone any ideas now ? From years gone by i'd think it was a dirty fuel filter, or a blocked jet..but with modern day cars I just don't know what to think.
Old 29-11-17, 10:06 AM   #10

Took car into a peugeot garage (local)...and the news is bad.

they've rung me this morning saying it needs a new temperature control housing including thermostat, sensors etc..system drain (again)..and 3 hours labour.

Not much change from 400.

This had better sort it out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in