Tyre pressures and ride comfort. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-16, 09:19 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Tyre pressures and ride comfort.

I have just bought a 308 Allure Jan 2013 from my local Peugeot Dealer. Excellent condition, full service history and 15, 900 recorded miles. As I was driving home I thought that the steering felt a little vague with some tramlining effects. I checked the tyre pressures (cold) and they were all at 2.45 bar. The recommended pressure is 2.6 bar. I topped up the pressure to 2.6 which has seemed to improve the steering feel but the ride is very hard and noisy, in fact I can't believe how bad the ride is. The car was service the day before I took delivery and I should imagine that the tyre pressures were checked. Is a slight lowering of the tyre pressures a recognised method of improving the ride on this model? The wheels are 18" Alloys fitted with Continental 225/40 R18 92.
Any advice would be welcome.
Gshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-16, 09:53 AM   #2

Hi
I have a 2009 308 sport and my 1st impression was the firm ride have come from a Vauxhall astra H. My tyre pressures were around 1.8bar when bought and yes it was worse when out to 2.6bar .I must admit i am now used to it and a few reviews on you tube mention the firm sporty ride. I'm keeping mine at 2.6bar as lowering will affect the fuel consumption av. 35 which is also worse than the astra ! How's yours on fuel is it petrol like mine?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
mookev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-16, 10:30 AM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks for the reply mookev. Reassuring if not pleasing to know that this is normal. Will maintain recommended pressures. My engine is the 1.4 diesel with eco mode. I have only driven for 80 miles so don't know about the consumption yet but expect that it will be a little worse than the 207 SW I part exchanged.

Old 10-05-16, 12:56 PM   #4

Every review I been read claim that is ride uncomfortable with rims abow 17. Even 17 is less pleasant than 16.
Sinisha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-16, 02:09 PM   #5
Inactive User

I really like the car and as it has only a low mileage I would intend keeping it for about 4 years, but the ride comfort does not make me happy, I am an old git of 75. I might look at changing for 16" wheels fitted with 215/55R16 tyres. Can anybody advise if this is possible and also how it would effect my insurance, would it count as a modification seeing as this is a standard fit for 308s?
Old 10-05-16, 03:09 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gshooter View Post
I really like the car and as it has only a low mileage I would intend keeping it for about 4 years, but the ride comfort does not make me happy, I am an old git of 75. I might look at changing for 16" wheels fitted with 215/55R16 tyres. Can anybody advise if this is possible and also how it would effect my insurance, would it count as a modification seeing as this is a standard fit for 308s?
Hi I bought the same car with 18" wheels and thought the ride was a bit bumpy with high tyre noise so I bought a set of genuine peugeot 16 alloys from ebay with 205/55 which will give you very near speed ratios as the 18."and the difference was really noticeable

As you mentioned the ride and comfort is more important than looks it depends on your standpoint on this and another thing to consider is that the low profiles on the 18" are expensive to buy.
stro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-16, 08:41 PM   #7

I've got bog standard 195/65R15's and although the ride is pretty good I've noticed a huge difference when the cars 4up, much smoother!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
CircuitMonke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-16, 07:07 AM   #8

Just checked and I'm on 225/45/17s.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
mookev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-16, 03:53 PM   #9
Inactive User

I must be living under a rock, as I've always had cars that had psi rating for tyre pressure. This 308 I have, is the first car I've owned that you go by bar. Stupid question, but can you set the compressor at the petrol station to bar, instead of psi? I've only had the car for ten days, and haven't checked what the tyre pressure is supposed to be.
Stujim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-16, 04:36 PM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stujim View Post
I must be living under a rock, as I've always had cars that had psi rating for tyre pressure. This 308 I have, is the first car I've owned that you go by bar. Stupid question, but can you set the compressor at the petrol station to bar, instead of psi? I've only had the car for ten days, and haven't checked what the tyre pressure is supposed to be.
Hi 34 psi or 2.35 bar I think 1 bar =14.72 psi
stro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in