stuck - in france - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-06-17, 12:17 PM   #1

Default stuck - in france

Car has run fine for over 1,000 until this morning...turned ignition on...click click click...no starting though.

All the lights on the dash are bright, headlamps bright although the clock has reset itself to 2007. There's no warning messages from the EMS.

Battery therefore seems fine, but the starter is not spinning. The click click suggests the solenoid is ok ? So am I right in thinking the problem is with the actual starter itself ?

Appreciate any observations before I ring the local garage in the morning.

thanks
ks10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-06-17, 12:24 PM   #2

When this happened to me it was actually the battery. Think there is some kind of protection so the starter will not kick if there isn't enough charge

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ks10 likes this.
CircuitMonke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-06-17, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircuitMonke View Post
When this happened to me it was actually the battery. Think there is some kind of protection so the starter will not kick if there isn't enough charge

ok, thanks...I think there is juice as the lights are all bright, but if I turn the lights on, then try the starter again and see if they go dim, would that suggest battery or the fact a charge is getting to the starter ?

Old 25-06-17, 12:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks10 View Post
ok, thanks...I think there is juice as the lights are all bright, but if I turn the lights on, then try the starter again and see if they go dim, would that suggest battery or the fact a charge is getting to the starter ?
Think the only reliable test would be to put a multimeter across the battery terminals, anything less than 12.4 volts would typically indicate battery or charging problems. I'll caveat this by saying in no expert, just going by past experience

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk
ks10 likes this.
Old 25-06-17, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Think the only reliable test would be to put a multimeter across the battery terminals, anything less than 12.4 volts would typically indicate battery or charging problems. I'll caveat this by saying in no expert, just going by past experience

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk
thanks - the only issue is getting at the battery + terminal as it has an array of wires fastened on top and I can't figure how to remove it - there's a clip at the side but haynes says there's another lower down which enables you to simply lift this all upwards and away - but I'm blowed if I can find it..hence Ican't get at the + terminal...it's a bit weird tbh..
Old 25-06-17, 12:42 PM   #6

Follow the jump start guide in the manual. Think it uses the one accessable terminal and the engine host as the negative/earth

ks10 likes this.
Old 26-06-17, 11:58 AM   #7

have left the car stood all night, but today just flicked on the ignition and the economy mode message appears...so it seems there's a drain on the battery . I haven't tried to start the car for fear of further drain/damage. Apart from the click click yesterday, there were also some clicks for from fuse area, even after the key was taken out..maybe just 3, about 15 seconds apart..then it stopped. I've had the aircon on most days up to now so not sure if that is an issue.

Anyway, i've called for the garage to come and pick it up and sort it out, whatever it is...at least it's a french car. Hopefully it might be the battery playing up, I'm told this can cause all sorts of random issues..
Old 26-06-17, 12:03 PM   #8

Put the key in the ignition and attempt to start the car.

Turn the key back to the off position and open the drivers door.

Does the car beep 3 times?
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-06-17, 06:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymarsbar View Post
Put the key in the ignition and attempt to start the car.

Turn the key back to the off position and open the drivers door.

Does the car beep 3 times?
Mechanic came and said straight away...C'est le batterie. ! So despite me thinking otherwise a failed battery does seem to cause mayhem with the engine electronics ..I should have taken your advice and checked it first. Anyway he bump started it and then we pootled off to his garage where he fitted a new one and reset the EMS...Job sorted. Thank you for you replies...
Old 27-06-17, 06:38 AM   #10

Quote:

you were right...mine too. Thanks for answering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in