Starter not turning - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-13, 10:52 AM   #1

Default Starter not turning

Hi

Peugeot 308 1.6 Hdi. 2009

No history. Suddenly wont turn over starter at all.
Battery is fine (tried jumping for fun)
Tried second key

On putting to start position, lights etc do not dim. No attempt to power starter. The is a single click in engine fusebox area (relay sound) but just once, not like a machine gun click as in flat battery.

I am assuming a relay in fusebox at the moment, but not sure how to proceed. As car wont start I cant take to my diagnostics man?

Any suggestions please?
Advertisement

Old 09-09-13, 11:50 AM   #2
Stubbo

I'm only going to suggest this as I had exactly the same after a clutch change

Check all your earthing points, specifically the one on top of the gearbox!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-13, 04:11 PM   #3

Cheers Stubbo!

Turns out after digging that in fact the solenoid was being energised correctly. FWIW to save anybody else digging (and no need to get hands dirty on this test) goto the engine fusebox.

5 pin yellow connector at front most of fusebox. Splice into lead 2, fat whitish one? That's the 12v to starter solenoid. You all knew that though didn't you? I put 12v straight off battery into that. Got same clicking which in fact was starter. Nobody at home there though, so unfortunately it was a starter off job. You can also test for 12v of course on turning key in this wire. Very unlikely to be damaged wire from there to starter itself as its pretty meaty.

I say unfortunately, as even taking air intakes, wipers and scuttle off, battery and tray out, access is I would say the closest to impossible you will ever find.

I just managed it, the middle cap screw is holding on a wiring loom bracket as well. You cant see it at all, just by feel. I also dropped one end of a coolant hose to help. Access from the top is not possible so despite being located above the solenoid block I JUST managed to access middle cap screw from underneath car. Top cap screw goes the other way to the other two BTW ie transmission to engine direction, else there would be no chance with that one!

My knuckles tell the story. Getting new one on will be interesting!!!

Old 22-05-14, 02:13 PM   #4
Inactive User

Was that 'was being energised correctly' or 'wasn't being energised correctly ?

Can you explain all of this in simple terms please I may have the same issue possibly but can't quite grasp how you diagnosed.
Old 22-05-14, 04:50 PM   #5

It was being energised correctly in my case. I.e. it had 12v going down it (pin 2) when it should have. Nothing was wrong with starter circuit therefore.

Way to test away from starter is to 'hotwire' a lead from battery +12v (red) terminal to this white lead. It goes straight to starter solenoid. Alternatively with 2 people one operated ignition key whilst other checks for 12v down this pin 2 lead - just I was doing it alone so was easier to hotwire to check.

If car starts - you have a result - change the engine bay fuseboard containing starter circuitry is most likely solution.

If car does not start from 'hotwire' you (like me) most likely have a failed starter motor. Equals big unpleasant job I could clearly hear a clicking from solenoid when hotwiring but no rotation or attempted rotation.
Good luck!
Robbage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-14, 02:41 PM   #6

Well a year on... New (Peugeot) fitted starter motor has failed.. A year and 3 weeks to be exact - typical..

More exciting this failure. Starter continued for approx 1-2 mins uncommanded after ignition key removed!!! Followed by a cloud of acrid smoke as motor burnt out. I have never heard of this before.

So this time to add to my fitting guide (I really don't fancy this again). But you can get away with 'just' taking off the undershield and battery and tray etc from the top. No need for scuttle wipers air filter etc they don't appreciably help.

Again your looking for 3 x Hex key set screws. Two from underneath the car, one under the solenoid (viewable) one above the solenoid. Not viewable and hardly reachable - good luck. Top hex comes from engine bay in opposite direction (Gearbox > Engine direction). Hex here difficult to see with fuel filter etc still in situ, but there is only one Hex screw there.

Final battle is getting the starter when removed out of the void at back of engine. Managed to work it towards where battery goes between clutch and gearshift cables. Whole thing really not at all easy.

Ive gone with aftermarket starter this time, not had much luck with Peugeot ones... All done and dusted and car not burnt out.. Result!
Old 04-10-14, 04:06 PM   #7

Check your ignition switch is good as this is a common reason for starters to run on in the way you suggest.

I would have disconnected the battery rather than risk a fire !
Old 04-10-14, 09:48 PM   #8

Well it all is 100% with new starter so best left alone I guess? Yes disconnect battery is quick - I would have done just that, but .... I wasn't driving it at the time
Old 21-10-14, 07:08 PM   #9

In fact it wasn't sorted but was an intermittent Bsm (starter control) fault. Replaced Bsm and hopefully no more starters required now!!!
Old 12-09-17, 02:35 PM   #10

Default Defective starter motor

On June 10th a Peugeot starter motor was installed in our Boxer van. On 10th September it packed up. We had to have a new one fitted as we couldn't get home without it. Who is responsible for refunding the cost of the defective starter motor?
Dismayed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in