Should i buy a diesel for london driving ? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-16, 08:32 PM   #1
JB1
Inactive User

Default Should i buy a diesel for london driving ?

Hi i'm set on buying a used 308 feline model and would like to ask for some advice Do you think its ok for me to get a diesel car ?
1 Live in central london
2 It will only be used for local london driving 5-10 miles per day max

The reason for asking is i will pay no road tax and no on street parking permit fee so saving around 130 tax and 160 a year local council on street parking permit thats 290 a year this saving is a lot for me but will it add up in costs to maintain the diesel model over the petrol ?

Thank you
JB1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-16, 08:38 PM   #2

In the short term, assuming it's a new(ish) car, you'd save. Long term, once you factor in things like the exhaust/cat/filter system, engine condition and so on due to short journeys, it'd begin to cost.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-16, 09:19 PM   #3
Ginger Magic

Pottering round town in a diesel will use a similar amount of fuel - it won't be a big difference I should imagine.

I have been using diesels for a long time, but now I hardly use my car so I am doing more harm to it now than I would if I was driving it daily..

If I were in your shoes I would chose the petrol, even though the diesel is excellent, as pottering around in the diesel may choke it up a bit..

The saving is good, but equates to less than 1 per day.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-16, 09:19 PM   #4
JB1
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymarsbar View Post
In the short term, assuming it's a new(ish) car, you'd save. Long term, once you factor in things like the exhaust/cat/filter system, engine condition and so on due to short journeys, it'd begin to cost.
The car im looking to buy is a 64 plate so pretty new and under warranty, my tax/parking permit savings will be 290 a year when buying the diesel model i wonder after 3 years if its going to cost me nearly 900 extra to maintain if i buy diesel over the petrol.
Old 04-04-16, 09:22 PM   #5

Driving 5-10 miles a day in london means you will be in the car half the day

Seriously i would not buy a diesel for short journeys they are NOT designed for that type of use.
Old 04-04-16, 09:27 PM   #6
JB1
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Magic View Post
Pottering round town in a diesel will use a similar amount of fuel - it won't be a big difference I should imagine.

I have been using diesels for a long time, but now I hardly use my car so I am doing more harm to it now than I would if I was driving it daily..

If I were in your shoes I would chose the petrol, even though the diesel is excellent, as pottering around in the diesel may choke it up a bit..

The saving is good, but equates to less than 1 per day.
The fuel saving is not what i was going to buy the diesel for it was just the tax & my local councils parking permit charges for non diesels. I take you advice on not driving it much but i'm sure diesels aren't that bad nowadays and dont need as much looking after like years gone by
Old 04-04-16, 09:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
The fuel saving is not what i was going to buy the diesel for it was just the tax & my local councils parking permit charges for non diesels. I take you advice on not driving it much but i'm sure diesels aren't that bad nowadays and dont need as much looking after like years gone by
You are right they need MORE looking after older diesels are far more reliable !
Old 04-04-16, 09:34 PM   #8
JB1
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Driving 5-10 miles a day in london means you will be in the car half the day

Seriously i would not buy a diesel for short journeys they are NOT designed for that type of use.
Half a day lol i would be getting off lightly and thats no joke i hate it i only considered a diesel because i thought things had moved on i have only ever drove petrol and took no notice about diesel until my permit went up and i checked the prices and no road tax also is good.
Old 04-04-16, 10:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
Hi i'm set on buying a used 308 feline model and would like to ask for some advice Do you think its ok for me to get a diesel car ?
1 Live in central london
2 It will only be used for local london driving 5-10 miles per day max

The reason for asking is i will pay no road tax and no on street parking permit fee so saving around 130 tax and 160 a year local council on street parking permit thats 290 a year this saving is a lot for me but will it add up in costs to maintain the diesel model over the petrol ?

Thank you
Why not buy electric
Old 04-04-16, 10:46 PM   #10
JB1
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
Why not buy electric
I like the feline 308
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in