Shell V-Power Diesel...Is it worth it? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-06-11, 09:50 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Shell V-Power Diesel...Is it worth it?

Hi there,

My 308 1.6 110 HDI Sport is trouble free with 45,000 miles on the clock, according to the trip computer I'm averaging 52.2 mpg....so all is well . But I'm just wondering if anyone has tried Shell V-Power Diesel?

Most of the comments I've read seem to be negative, some actually reporting slightly less mpg!! Apparently it’s designed to actively clean your engine and protect vital engine parts to help deliver more powerful performance and improve fuel economy by reducing energy loss. Correct me if I'm wrong, to get value for money from this expensive fuel your car needs to be suited to it, maybe that's why there's so many conflicting reports on it!

So my question is....Is it worth the extra expense and is my car going to benefit from using it?

David

Last edited by Davidoneill27; 25-06-11 at 09:52 AM.
Davidoneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-06-11, 10:22 AM   #2
jmkent

I've never used it.... the 6-8p/l increase is substantial, so would have to improve mpg significantly to even be cost neutral, let alone better off.

There was a test on tv comparing a range of cars from a small VW Polo up to a Mitsubishi Evo each on regular and V-power fuel.... and the conclusion was, as you said, unless the car is designed and tuned for the benefit, i.e. Evo, then there is no benefit to it at all.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-06-11, 01:48 PM   #3
Afo
Inactive User

a little off topic, but on a few occasions with an empty tank I've put in BP Ultimate and I swear the car felt more responsive (2.0Hdi 110). I did use V-power regularly in the past (so much so they sent me a red v-power points card with my name on it!! ) but didn't notice any improvement on economy, nor did I feel the same boost that BP ultimate gave! Placebo effect or other reports of this...?
Afo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 25-06-11, 05:32 PM   #4
Inactive User

without constantly using it i would sy you wouldnt notice a difference...but for the cost and car i wouldnt use it...if i had a skyline or similar then of course i would but im going to stick to fuelsave diesel myself....has the same additives but not as finely graded.

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-06-11, 05:48 PM   #5
chopper1192

I personally think it's hokum.
Old 26-06-11, 10:08 AM   #6

I tried it once, and I'm more convinced that the better MPG was down to me driving more carfefully because of the cost!

That said I do sometimes buy Redex fuel treatment and this did seem cheaper than using that.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-06-11, 02:39 PM   #7
davidireland

Question. How does the engine know what type of fuel it is taking in whether it be v-power or standard? It doesn't. For all the world it could be water!
I don't think there is any difference in different fuel types/specs, only they're price.
Rant over. These days of penny pinching alot of people don't care what they put into their cars as long as they go.
Old 26-06-11, 05:10 PM   #8

There is a difference - unlike 'normal' fuel -the souper brew is specific to each producer - so shell super brew is only sold in shell outlets.

The cetane (how easily the diesel ignites) is also higher in super brews -so you get easier start up and longer for the fuel to burn up in the cylinder - not a lot longer but enough to make a difference.

Millers increases the cetane of normal fuel - it turns it into souper fuel.

Is it worth the extra cash - no.
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-06-11, 06:19 PM   #9

I`d be on Irish Ribena if i could get away with it
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-06-11, 03:57 PM   #10
Inactive User

I think you would be better of just buying RedX, Use it once a month? Thats what i do. V-power is cleaner than standard fuel, so it keeps the system clean. RedX Just dose the same thing =)
Alex307sprt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in