Rough idle when engine cold - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-19, 12:31 PM   #1

Default Rough idle when engine cold

Hi, I have a Peugeot 308, petrol, 2010 plate. When the engine is cold it rough idles or over revs when idling, sometimes stalls when idling or setting off from idle and is jumpy to drive when cold. It has high emissions and won't pass the MOT. The anti pollution fault keeps popping up and the engine management light keeps coming on. As soon as the engine warms up it runs perfectly. It is not related to outside temperature only engine temp.

I have taken it to 2 local garages none of which have solved the issue or are confident they know what it is. Diagnostics are showing engine misfires. The first garage replaced the plugs and coils. This did not fix the second tried an engine coolant temp sensor, but the problem still persists.

The 2 garages have given me different solutions, the first said I could try to replace the fuel injector and then replace the wiring looms, the other one said it could be a camshaft phaser fault.

Any suggestions as to the best thing to try as I don't want to keep throwing money at it for it not to work.

Thanks!
Tracytop81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-19, 01:12 PM   #2

Hi
My experience with petrol engines is a bit limited but I would be more enclined to say it was fuel injector related than cam. I'm guessing the emissions error is to do with an incomplete combustion. Out of interest does is the high emissions error on all of the time or disappears when hot?
Tristan_HDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-19, 01:32 PM   #3

Hi, I will ask the garage as they didn’t say just that it had failed the emissions when they checked for it’s MOT
Tracytop81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-19, 02:21 PM   #4

They need to look at fault codes and live data. Could be many things from worn plugs, bad coil or faulty coolant sensor upwards

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-19, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracytop81 View Post
Hi, I will ask the garage as they didn’t say just that it had failed the emissions when they checked for it’s MOT
Be careful, if it is mis-firing, the un-burnt fuel still gets ejected out through the exhaust valves along with the fumes from the other cylinders that are burning fuel and creating exhaust gasses, that un-burnt fuel then explodes in the CAT due to the heat of the CAT, if it goes on for too long, you'll need a new CAT too.

This happened with my Peugeot 206 GTi, I now have a petrol 308 VTi 1.6, but in my 206 it was throwing up anti pollution faults and turned out to be the ignition coil pack.

If 2 garages have failed to correctly diagnose the problem, then the next stop is Peugeot themselves.

Last edited by Seanie280672; 05-02-19 at 05:30 PM.
Seanie280672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in