Rattle from the engine bay... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-06-10, 03:29 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Rattle from the engine bay...

Hello, 1st real post!

As title, I have an annoying rattle from the engine bay of my 308 VTi Sport. It only happens at around 1200rpm and it's getting steadily worse. I've checked under the bonnet and under the car but to no avail. I think it's coming from above the engines undertray. It sounds like a loose heat shield or similar, not a mechanical knock.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any ideas? I'm pulling the tray off tomorrow anyway but was wondering if theres anything I shuld be looking specifically at.

Thanks, Dave.
Advertisement

Old 19-06-10, 06:48 AM   #2
chopper1192

I have an idea - take it to the dealers and get that warranty working.

Does sound like a heat shield or similar resonating.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-06-10, 07:29 PM   #3
Inactive User

I took it to see my good friend who's a mechanic. We took the lower lambda sensor out and we could see that the honeycomb inner from the catalytic convertor has perished and I'll need a new 'cat!

2 years old and 26,000 miles and it's gone! Nightmare! Rang the dealers and was told that they will replace it under warranty - no problem. I
sure there's another post on here where a lady has a 308 with an exhaust rattle so I'm betting it's the same thing.

Cheers for replying mate.

Dave

Old 20-06-10, 07:49 AM   #4
chopper1192

If the ceramic matrix has broken up it'll be due to some outside influence. They no more jus fall apart than your tea cups do while sat in your cupboard. Ceramic was chosen as its one of the least perishable and easily fabricated materials in the world.

Good result with the warranty.
Old 21-06-10, 03:53 PM   #5
Inactive User

I just told the garage there was no way I was shelling out for it. I've owned the car for around 3 weeks and if they wouldn't replace it under warranty, I'd reject the car and invoke my right to cancel the contact of sale within my 28 days.

So, in a nutshell, he either had to fix it, or give me my 9000 cash back. He didn't like it up him. He said he spoke to the warranty place and they'd cover it. Today on the phone I was told the work would go ahead if Peugeot authorised it. So I again told the dealership to either fix it or stump up my cash and they can cram the car up their orifices.
Old 21-06-10, 03:59 PM   #6
chopper1192

Yep, they're lawfully obliged to repair any fault that occurs within 28 days, and any fault that occuers within 6 months that was likely to be present or developing when you bought the car (and the onus is on the dealer to prove it wasn't, not you to prove it was). If they can't or won't do that your are lawfully entitled to your dosh back.

Why didn't the AA spot this when then inspected the car for you prior to purchase?
Old 21-06-10, 04:03 PM   #7
Inactive User

God knows bud. I'm a wee bit p****d off to say the least. It's booked in on Thursday with a courtesy car, so can't really do anything till then. I've kept the service department and the sales guy up to speed each step of the way, and I'm sending them a recorded letter tomorrow saying exactly what I've already told them, so there's hard proof should I need it that they were informed.

Damn dealers!
Old 22-06-10, 12:57 PM   #8
Inactive User

Also, if anyone has the 120bhp VTi Petrol, does theirs 'shake' when switching off? Like a diesel does?
Old 22-06-10, 02:46 PM   #9
chopper1192

All 4 cylinder engines do to a greater or lesser extent,as they don't have perfect primary balance, so there's a lot of lumps of torque being put back through the mounts as the crank comes to a halt. My 2.2 petrol 407 does, my 207 did, and my 107s engines used to leap about like an epilipetic emu on acid.

If you're not getting any knocking when driving or changing gear, and the gearchange isn't deterirating as the engine starts to sit out of kilter and starts to place load on the cables, then everything is fine.

You need that cat sorted so you can drive to a nice country pub one warm evening and sit outside and admire it over a Guinnessm
Old 23-06-10, 09:01 PM   #10
Inactive User

Cheers Chopper - it's going in tomorrow so should be sorted soon enough.

Also one more thing (how needy am I?!) my engine whistles, - sounds like a belt whistling or a pulley as it only does it when settling back down to idle. Normal or is mine just s**t?

Cheers again!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in