Is it possible to turn off the sensors on the 308? Anti-pollution system fault - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-16, 01:07 AM   #1
Inactive User

Question Is it possible to turn off the sensors on the 308? Anti-pollution system fault

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Peugeot 308 Touring Turbo 2009. This weekend the engine fault light came on in the dashboard and when starting the engine, an error message said "Anti-pollution system faulty". I took it to the dealer, as it's in warranty, and they checked with a diagnostic tool. They tried to argue that the sensor could have misfired, so they reset the memory of the diagnostic system to get rid of the error message and told me to see if it comes back.

I'm wondering: would they have been able to turn off the sensors altogether just by connecting the diagnostic tool on the port?

I must say that when the fault happened I had been sitting on the side of the road with the air-con on and a crying baby in the backseat for about 15 min, so this could well have been an unusual build-up of fumes and it may not indicate an actual fault. But I then proceeded to drive up a steep mountain road and I noticed that the engine had very little power -- even with the foot all the way down it wouldn't go beyond 50-60km/h. There were only two adults and a baby in the car, no luggage. Then again this was my first time driving up a hill with this car, so I don't know: is this normal for this model, or does it indicate something is wrong?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers
Eric
ericc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-16, 07:02 AM   #2

Anti Pollution fault doesn't refer to any specific fault - it's a generic message which simply means "get the car diagnosed".

Having the error message reset from the system is only a temporary fix - there's a reason that the message came up, and without isolating the cause and fixing the problem, it's likely that the anti-pollution will reappear.

The lack of power is consistent with the anti-pollution message - the car goes into limp mode and struggles to get momentum.

Did you take the car to a Peugeot main dealer? If not, find someone with Peugeot Planet or Diagbox to have the car diagnosed, and using the fault codes found on the diagnostics, try to find the cause of the issue and fix it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-16, 07:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericc View Post
They tried to argue that the sensor could have misfired, so they reset the memory of the diagnostic system to get rid of the error message and told me to see if it comes back.

I'm wondering: would they have been able to turn off the sensors altogether just by connecting the diagnostic tool on the port?
Sensors can sometimes go faulty and play up, but it usually takes a combination of things to cause it - extreme conditions, battery issues, or just age and wear.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any sensors that can be turned off.

They've probably just cleared the codes (I'm guessing they didn't tell you the code to give you an idea at which part was showing the fault) and will look deeper if the fault comes back.

Old 21-05-16, 09:04 AM   #4
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice, guys!
ericc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-05-16, 10:02 AM   #5
Inactive User

Hi, Not long after I got my 308 2.0 HDi I had the message "Anti-pollution system faulty" show on the dashboard and the car went into limp mode. I did not take it to a dealer, but was told to drive it down the motorway in 3rd / 4th gear to get the engine running hot. I went about 15 miles and turned round and came back. Having done about 30 miles the car was then OK. It has done this a couple more times and I have done the same to clear it.
The wife uses it for work around town and every journey is between 1/4 and 2 miles so the car never gets hot enough to clear it out.
ges52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in