Poor Fuel Consumption 45 mpg from 1.6 hdi - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-01-13, 04:41 PM   #1

Default Poor Fuel Consumption 45 mpg from 1.6 hdi

Hi can anyone help. I have a 308SW 1.6 hdi 110 2009. I am getting 45.3 mpg based on the actually fuel used recorded over the last 5,944 mileage. I have not changed my driving style or type of usage, tyre pressures are checked regularly, servicing is up to date. My previous car a 406 2.0hdi estate which had 200k plus on the clock would regularly return 55 mpg. The only thing I have noticed is that the thermostat starts to open at 79 to 81 deg C and keeps the engine running temperature at about 80 to 82 deg C (have used my laptop to read the temperatures)

Last edited by 215433; 20-01-13 at 04:44 PM.
215433 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-01-13, 09:04 PM   #2
jmkent

That sounds like normal temperatures to be honest.

I wouldn't say that 45mpg is anything wrong, not over that distance.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-01-13, 09:19 PM   #3

Thanks jmkent, I am quite surprised you think the temperature sounds about right as according to the specification the thermostat should start to open at 83 degrees. In your experience do Peugeot's normally run a bit cold?

My reason for mentioning coolant temperature is, was it contributing to the poor fuel consumption. I canít agree with your view on fuel consumption. My 308 has the poorest fuel consumption I have experienced since the 80ís when I had a Ford Sierra. Since the Sierra I have had 2 x Austin Montegoís, 309, 405, 2 x 406 all diesel estates, the 309 being the only one to return less than 50mpg.

Old 23-01-13, 11:05 PM   #4
chopper1192

Not sure why you're comparing the 308 to try previous diseasels. The 308 is small bore, and hence relatively high geared as it doesn't generate the same torque spread as a larger unit.

It's also a very clever engine. Multi valve head, VGT turbo. Much more power per litre than any of the others models you cite.

But then just to complicate matters, it has to comply with the current Euro V emissions standard, which none of those others did, so a degree of efficiency is wasted simply overcoming those losses. And to really confuse matters it has to meet modern safety standards, so has a relatively heavy structure for its size compared to days of yore, and is laden down with more safety kit.

It may also surprise you to know that a £20 note today doesn't but half as much a the same note would've done he day your old 406 was made, but for all that its still a £20 note.
bettyswollocks and storeman like this.
Old 24-01-13, 12:43 PM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john99 View Post
Hi can anyone help. I have a 308SW 1.6 hdi 110 2009. I am getting 45.3 mpg based on the actually fuel used recorded over the last 5,944 mileage. I have not changed my driving style or type of usage, tyre pressures are checked regularly, servicing is up to date. My previous car a 406 2.0hdi estate which had 200k plus on the clock would regularly return 55 mpg. The only thing I have noticed is that the thermostat starts to open at 79 to 81 deg C and keeps the engine running temperature at about 80 to 82 deg C (have used my laptop to read the temperatures)
my 308 1.6 hdi 110 is the same temps and consumption i thinks its just because its winter and it uses more fuel in winter or it could be something else.
shamus1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-01-13, 07:31 PM   #6
Inactive User

Dont worry bout it my 308 hdi 90 drops to 45-46mpg in the really cold weather we have has done last 2 years. if you aint too sure just reset trip computer etc and see what it goes up to.
frazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-01-13, 08:24 PM   #7
davidireland

These figures are are at best all you'll get. Unless you have a 90bhp which has (had maybe at this stage) class leading economy.
Old 08-02-13, 08:22 PM   #8

To sum up fuel consumption for my 308 hdi is rubbish and I should have kept my 1988 Austin Montego 2.0TD (would have rusted out by now) it went over 50% further on a gallon of diesel. So much for progress, 20 years later, a very clever engine, complies with Euro V emission standard, complies with todayís safety standards, is lighter car than old ones and guess what, burns a load more fuel.
Roystone likes this.
Old 08-02-13, 09:59 PM   #9
jmkent

So your Montego used to manage 67mpg?? I bet your bottom dollar though that the 308 would leave that Montego standing for dust, and progress isn't just about more mpg, the 308 is a far better car overall and better performance.
Old 08-02-13, 10:16 PM   #10

Only just a better performance but in the 150,000 miles the Montego was recovered 0 times yet the 308 has been recovered 2 times in 50,000 miles so I guess the 308 has the edge on recovery.
Roystone likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in