Peugeot 308 patch on the floor outside - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By noddy-hol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-19, 04:24 PM   #1

Default Peugeot 308 patch on the floor outside

Im a little concerned about something I keep seeing outside of my car at the moment, this may come across as a little vague, if I get a chance I will take some pictures.

Basically I live in a block of flats, each flat has its own personal parking space, now its not landscaped very well, so whilst some of them are on the flat, others when driven forward into the car space leans to the left, my space included, this is the left as if you are sitting in the car, it would be the right if you are standing at the front of the car looking at it (just to clarify).

there is a big patch of something on the floor under my car, sort of between the front left wheel and the underneath of the car, I do remember there being something before, but not as big, it seems to be getting worse, and this appears wet and new, ive tried rubbing it but its mostly soaked into the tarmac so I cant really identify it.

The car is fairly new to me, and I do have to admit, its been very neglected by the previous owner, it was in absolute dire need of a new top engine mount, the big one on the right was pretty much completely knackered and just filled out with little shards of rubber to compensate, that didnt last long before it started falling out and every time I drove it I could hear a bang as the engine was twisting and the metal bar inside the black metal surround was knocking off itself.

Apparently it has 12 months MOT on it, passed 3 days before I brought it, but had 2 bald tyres, the comms unit is faulty (flashing the headlights) and the brake light bulbs were gone, replaced and working now, as well as 1 rear number plate light, I think he knows the MOT mech who just passed it for a quick sale, I intend on getting it re-MOT'd as soon as the comms unit is replaced, its coming tomorrow.

As the car was in such a dire state under the bonnet, I proceeded to do water flushes of the system and re-fill with new coolant, oil and filter changes using quality 5w-30 Castrol oil, changed all the filters (oil, air and pollen), required a new water pump, and changed the spark plugs, so pretty much a full service, it needs new rear brake disc's and pads which I have on the way, according to the owners manual it had a new timing chain and sprockets at 65000 miles by the owner before the one I brought it off which I find very strange too as they never need changing unless theres a problem, it currently has 85K on it, by the way its a 1.6 16v petrol, EP6 engine.

The crazy part is, they are all simple, cheap'ish and easy things to keep on top of, who neglects a nice car like that ? the bodywork is immaculate.

Now enough babbling, down to the issue, as explained earlier, there is a patch on the floor, im not loosing any water, not had to fill it up since the flush etc, however, its either burning oil, or loosing oil, or maybe just needs a top up since changing the oil 2 days ago, I hate the dipstick, its so difficult to read, especially with fresh clean oil, I also did add engine flush to it prior to draining as I really didnt know the state of it, the substance on the floor doesnt look like oil though as it kind of gives that rainbow effect when wet, and as its been damp with a little bit of rain too, I dont see that effect, when parked on the flat ground in another parking space (landlords space) the patch isnt as bad, the engine itself is immaculate, like they managed to pay out to get it cleaned before selling the car, at least they paid out for something, all belts, alternator, water pump, power steering pump etc are all on the other side of the car so its not coming from those, generally the side its showing on the floor is the battery side, water pipes etc, but like I said im not loosing water, the engine appears clean still as far as I can see, so im very concered and confused what it could be, do you thing maybe it could just be condensation dripping off the bottom engine cover through the night picking up some dirt along the way as the car is parked at an angle ?

Sorry for the long post.
Seanie280672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-19, 04:30 PM   #2

air-con condensation drain?
trem1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007.. 407swgt...2018..3008 1.6 thp gt line auto...owned most models since 1985...phew..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-19, 04:45 PM   #3

That would be my first guess too

Old 01-01-19, 05:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy-hol View Post
air-con condensation drain?
Sorry, AirCon doesnt work either, but might just need a re-gas, like I said they didnt spend a penny on this car except fuel, however, I guess it might be aircon fluid leaking out of the rad / condenser
Old 01-01-19, 05:40 PM   #5

Ok....if you dont have to top up the coolant..rule that out....small petrol leak...you would smell it...rule that out.....if it 'soaks' into tarmac,, its not oil..rule that out..the only other things that could cause a 'patch'...is air-con condensation...or windscreen scuttle drains..they are either side of the screen and eject water (dew/frost melting and screen wash)to the rear of the front wheels....good luck finding it tho.

2007.. 407swgt...2018..3008 1.6 thp gt line auto...owned most models since 1985...phew..
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-19, 06:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy-hol View Post
Ok....if you dont have to top up the coolant..rule that out....small petrol leak...you would smell it...rule that out.....if it 'soaks' into tarmac,, its not oil..rule that out..the only other things that could cause a 'patch'...is air-con condensation...or windscreen scuttle drains..they are either side of the screen and eject water (dew/frost melting and screen wash)to the rear of the front wheels....good luck finding it tho.
Thanks, im going to my mech's tomorrow to get the comms unit fitted so i'll get him to have a look, he hates pug's though, personally I love them but kinda thinking I should have stuck with the older models, 206 / 306, the newer ones seem to have all sorts of problems, although once I get all the issues of this one sorted out, it will be a very very nice car.

Tomorrow when its light, i'll take a picture of it, may help.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-01-19, 12:20 AM   #7

Put some clean cardboard underneath on a dry night. In the morning, take it out and see what is on it.
BiGK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in