Peugeot 308 lacking power - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-08-13, 11:34 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Peugeot 308 lacking power

Hi, I've just bought (private sale) a 2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 turbo petrol (110 kw) and it is now exhibiting some problems. The car had been sluggish for a while before I booked it in for a service which they suggested included using an upper cylinder foam cleaning treatment. The dealer reset the Depollution fault light and the car went really well. However after about 80 km the car suddenly lost most of it's power again - no fault light until about 60 Km later. Symptoms currently are, if you apply a heavy throttle the car literally crawls of the line - even if you use more revs. However if you apply a light throttle, the car feels like it's "trying" to accelerate though without huge success - but with great fuel economy. (the car has done 110,000km)
I returned to the dealer in Sydney who checked the Fault log which showed:
Codes P2192 and P2177.
They said, to clear the Depollution fault, that the cylinder head has to be removed & cleaned and the valve timing needs to be reset. (sounds fairly major)
In addition they also said that Peugeot generally recommend that the cam chain and tensioner be replaced as well... (known fault with these engines?)
Your thoughts please.
Many Thanks
Aussie308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-08-13, 01:58 PM   #2
Inactive User

Default same problem

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I am having the same problem as you.
The car is a 2008 308 gt (1.6 turbo petrol). Bought and got the anti pollution fault on the dash straight away. The car was under powered and clearly the turbo was not working. Tried to hook it up to planet but the battery was totally dead. I did manage to get a "fuel mixture too lean" fault and "battery voltage too low" warning. I disconnect the battery to give it an overnight charge which did not work. So next day a new battery was put on. The engine management light went out and the depollution fault disappeared off the display. Hooked back up to planet and had two fault messages both relating to battery voltage. The fuel too lean message had gone. I cleared these and took the car out, it drove totally differently and the turbo was now working.
I am guessing the ecu senses a problem before putting on a warning light and cuts the turbo to limit any damage caused whilst driving.
Two weeks later (about 150 miles) I drove the car again as it is the other half that uses it. The turbo was not there again but no faults showing. It took an age to get through the rev range, worsened by the higher gear it was in. At the lights I had trouble keeping up with a 1300cc 18 year old Fiesta (so much for the 308 having 150bhp). This morning the engine management light has come on and the depollution fault warning is back again.
I have read around as much as possible and the above suggestion seems to be most common that the timing goes out and the valves get coked up. Other problems have been various sensors.
Anyway onto possible causes of the problems. The car has very clean oil so suggests its had a recent change. I do not know about the filter. Searching another post on this site david Ireland suggests a ecu download (I presume clear the fault codes) engine cleaner and oil and filter change. This seems like the cheapest place to start so does anyone know what engine cleaner should I be using? The fuel tank is getting low so it seems the ideal time to put some cleaner through the engine.
How much labour is involved in stripping the head to clean it out? Does anyone know the cost of new timing chain and tensioners?
Finally I read on one forum a couple of weeks ago that the engine cover has a design fault on the early 308s which has now been re designed by Peugeot. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?
thanks
da2321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-08-13, 07:54 PM   #3
Inactive User

been on computer again, showing permanent fault, mixture regulation, mixture too lean. Fault code P2191
da2321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 20-08-13, 07:06 AM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by da2321 View Post
Sorry for hijacking this thread but I am having the same problem as you.
The car is a 2008 308 gt (1.6 turbo petrol). Bought and got the anti pollution fault on the dash straight away. The car was under powered and clearly the turbo was not working. Tried to hook it up to planet but the battery was totally dead. I did manage to get a "fuel mixture too lean" fault and "battery voltage too low" warning. I disconnect the battery to give it an overnight charge which did not work. So next day a new battery was put on. The engine management light went out and the depollution fault disappeared off the display. Hooked back up to planet and had two fault messages both relating to battery voltage. The fuel too lean message had gone. I cleared these and took the car out, it drove totally differently and the turbo was now working.
I am guessing the ecu senses a problem before putting on a warning light and cuts the turbo to limit any damage caused whilst driving.
Two weeks later (about 150 miles) I drove the car again as it is the other half that uses it. The turbo was not there again but no faults showing. It took an age to get through the rev range, worsened by the higher gear it was in. At the lights I had trouble keeping up with a 1300cc 18 year old Fiesta (so much for the 308 having 150bhp). This morning the engine management light has come on and the depollution fault warning is back again.
I have read around as much as possible and the above suggestion seems to be most common that the timing goes out and the valves get coked up. Other problems have been various sensors.
Anyway onto possible causes of the problems. The car has very clean oil so suggests its had a recent change. I do not know about the filter. Searching another post on this site david Ireland suggests a ecu download (I presume clear the fault codes) engine cleaner and oil and filter change. This seems like the cheapest place to start so does anyone know what engine cleaner should I be using? The fuel tank is getting low so it seems the ideal time to put some cleaner through the engine.
How much labour is involved in stripping the head to clean it out? Does anyone know the cost of new timing chain and tensioners?
Finally I read on one forum a couple of weeks ago that the engine cover has a design fault on the early 308s which has now been re designed by Peugeot. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?
thanks
Thanks for your input I should say at this point, that I do love the car and the power characteristics of this little BMW engine is quite addictive - which makes the current situation feel so much worse...
I have tried all the "cheap" places to start with - and really things like that should be done anyway like clean oil / filters and fuel cleaners etc.
I was following another experience with a 308 owner in the UK who ended up having the cam chain & tensioner replaced, the head removed and cleaned and even his variable valve unit replaced too. Interesting that after about 18 months he started having pollution errors again... There seems to me to be a few things at play here.
1. A design fault with the cam chain / tensioner including how the cam timing is somehow slipping in relation the crankshaft.
2. The head seems to be prone to fouling with carbon build up over time - exacerbated by the use of low grade fuel and or short runs.
My next course of action is to fix the mechanical issues with the cam chain and tensioner and have the head cleaned. (I'll keep you posted)
Best Rgds
Aussie308
Aussie308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-12-13, 10:58 AM   #5
Inactive User

Default Craig

Hi guys
We have a 308 XSE 1.6 Turbo that just had its SECOND timing chain and tensioner replacement in 15 months. Depollutionn fault. P0016. Second Belt stretched 69.8mm in 15 months. Under extra care warranty but had to demand extra cover for costs due to repeat failure. Totally unacceptable and if it happens again it goes to the Ombudsman. My wife loves this car but it has to be reliable and worth the money. There are other reliable alternatives at this price point.
dinga1961 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-12-13, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinga1961 View Post
Hi guys
We have a 308 XSE 1.6 Turbo that just had its SECOND timing chain and tensioner replacement in 15 months. Depollutionn fault. P0016. Second Belt stretched 69.8mm in 15 months. Under extra care warranty but had to demand extra cover for costs due to repeat failure. Totally unacceptable and if it happens again it goes to the Ombudsman. My wife loves this car but it has to be reliable and worth the money. There are other reliable alternatives at this price point.
just a thought on all this, what condition is the cat converter in as it could cause back pressure
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-05-15, 10:50 AM   #7
Inactive User

Default Same problem

I know this an old thread so hopefully the problem was fixed? did the depollution error get fixed permatley? Peugot dealer/mechanic say that the timing chain needs replacing and will cost $1850AUD for chain and then 17hours labour so 4000 big ones total owch!!! Is this right or is there other options like get chain from wreckers and see other mechanic? Any suggestions appreciated cheers
fairdinkydi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-05-15, 12:00 PM   #8

At those prices the only real option would be to find another mechanic. While never having done a timing chain on a Peugeot, 17 hours seems way too long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-05-15, 01:47 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
At those prices the only real option would be to find another mechanic. While never having done a timing chain on a Peugeot, 17 hours seems way too long.
Yeah thats what i thought... As they are the only Peugeot dealer in WA soo every single thing costs alot then my wife picks it up and they try for more added costs sly aholes! Had the car for a year and just one thing after another might have to get rid of my wifes prized little car if going to be soo expensive Cheers for advice storeman
fairdinkydi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-05-15, 03:00 AM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairdinkydi View Post
Yeah thats what i thought... As they are the only Peugeot dealer in WA soo every single thing costs alot then my wife picks it up and they try for more added costs sly aholes! Had the car for a year and just one thing after another might have to get rid of my wifes prized little car if going to be soo expensive Cheers for advice storeman
Still trying to get rid of mine.. Car has not given a sustained trouble free drive for twelve months because of this same problem. Love the car but can't afford to keep it.
machone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in