Peugeot 308 Engine Noise - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-12, 11:08 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Peugeot 308 Engine Noise

I have a 308 that I've owned for 2 years (2008 plate) with no warranty. Last week I had some rattling noise coming from the bonnet everytime I revved the engine or put your foot down on the accelerator. The noise went away when you move up to 2nd-3rd gear. Took it to our local garage who said that the catalytic converter had gone and that I'd need to get it replaced. Paid 695 (ouch!!) for a new one. When I went to collect the car the garage said that two other faults had come up after the replacement - Variable Valve Timing System fault and a VVT Lift System fault. Told me it would be another couple of hundred pounds to replace these. Do these faults go hand in hand with the cat converter? I'm a bit unsure why these two faults never came up when they diagnosed the cat error and I'm wondering whether these faults could have been caused when they replaced the cat. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Marky G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-12, 12:10 PM   #2
davidireland

Did you go to a dealer?
There is a software update to be done after fitting a catalytic converter.
The VVT system doesn't give a whole lot of problems unless the engine has a bad service history ie oil changes, being left run low on oil etc.

What were the specific codes taken from the ecu?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-12, 12:39 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks for replying back David.

It was an independent garage and not through a dealership. They never showed me the report taken from the diagnostics machine, just a receipt for the work they had done and two lines at the bottom to say there were additional faults. The last service was through a Peugeot garage in August 2011. No faults were reported at the time. Is it worth me taking it to a Peugeot garage for a second opinion. I'm driving to France in August and I've been told by this independent garage to get the VVT fixed before I go.

Old 01-07-12, 02:06 PM   #4
davidireland

The new converter will most likely fail again if the software update is not performed. Plugs also need to be fitted with it.
Old 01-07-12, 03:55 PM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks for your help David. I'll take it to a Peugeot garage this week and ask them to do a check to make sure the software's been updated and whether the VVT needs to be addressed.

I'll post an update with what they say.
davidireland likes this.
Old 09-04-13, 10:53 AM   #6
Inactive User

Hi Mark,

Did you ever took the car to the dealer? What did they said?

My check engine came on, took it to my local garage, they plugged the scanner thing and error code came back to be the catalytic converter. I haven't replaced it yet, but I think I will in a couple of days. I'll mention the software update thing to see if they're aware.
Lunatico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-13, 02:44 PM   #7
Inactive User

Hi Lunatico

My apologies. I should have posted a response sooner like I said I would.

I didn't take the car to the dealer. What I did was call them and explain what the independent garage told me. They said that what I was told was probably correct as they are a respected garage in my area. The dealer also mentioned that they use them too when they have too much work on, so can be trusted.

I ended up getting the Variable Valve Timing System replaced as well as the VVT Lift repaired. From memory the total cost, which is including the cat converter, was about 1,200. Not something I needed just before my holiday's but it had to be done, especially driving to SW France .

I don't know if this is a design fault of Peugeot's but I do see quite a few comments from people on issues they have with their cat converter. Might be something they need to look into??

By the way, how old is your car?
Old 09-04-13, 03:44 PM   #8
davidireland

The software update cures a multitude on this BMW engine. It definitely cures the catalytic converter fault. If you haven't it done it should be.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-04-13, 03:47 PM   #9
Inactive User

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply. My garage is a good one too, I kinda' trust them, and I know they consult the dealer for specific stuff. I really hope that after replacing this catalyst converter the car behaves for at least a year, they're doing full service on it at the same time. About a month ago the check engine light came on and the infamous message "antipollution faulty" which basically seems to be a generic message for any sort of fault. Anyways, that time it was the camshaft sensor (or something along those lines) which they replaced. That was about €85, now the converter will cost about €250, plus the full service I'm down almost €500.... owned the car since 07/2012 (which I bought at a very good price I think), it's an 2009 and it had 92500Kms when I bought it so... in a way it has a good bit of millage on the clock already so it's kinda' expected that I've to do all this at this stage... now if this keeps going I might consider changing it! We'll see... I certainly hope replacing the converter doesn't trigger any other faults. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-04-13, 03:59 PM   #10
Inactive User

David,

Are you saying that the catalytic converter might not be faulty and doing the software upgrade should get rid of the problem? Or are you saying that as well as replacing the catalytic converter I should make sure the software is or gets upgraded?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in