Particle fluid level and DPF life expectancy - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-19, 08:38 AM   #1

Default Particle fluid level and DPF life expectancy

Recently bought a 2010 308SW with 95k miles and FSH. Particle fluid was topped up at 88k (have dealer receipt to show it) but previous owner said they never cleared the ‘particle fluid level too low’ warning. Took it to the local branch of the same (none Peugeot) dealership this morning to get it reset but they said they can’t do it as the level is indeed low and anyway, Peugeot DPFs need changing at 100k anyway. Are they talking rubbish or a) can a full top up be used in 7k miles and b) is there a actually a 100k serviceable life for a DPF. No warnings or anything apart from the fluid level by the way (and the warning I’m told has always been on since the refill)
dickiem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-19, 11:52 AM   #2

Took the opportunity to actually open the pouch tank this morning to have a look and the pouch looks brand new/full......certainly what I’d expect to see after 7k miles. So, looks like the guy yesterday was talking rubbish about the fluid level and guess the only way to reset the low level warning is at a main dealer😕. Assume I’ll be looking at £50ish to get that done? Can’t really find anything definitive on DPF life expectancy so suppose I’ll have to monitor it as it gets to and beyond 100k
Old 12-05-19, 02:06 PM   #3

100-120K is the expected life with later additive with no intervention. Depending on driving style etc it can be better or worse.

Sometimes a flush out of the dpf can extend the life or replacement/exchange once flow rate drops enough to triggers faults.

Often when the additive is refilled you can reset/edit DPF mileage when resetting counters to extend the life from the programmed hard limits

Old 12-05-19, 02:32 PM   #4

"(have dealer receipt to show it)"

Is that dealer near you? If so, take it back there and demand they reset it.
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-19, 07:32 PM   #5

Unfortunately the dealer who did it is 60 miles from me but there’s a local franchise of the same name I took it to yesterday......not sure why it went to them originally as this one near me is a Ford/Vauxhall franchise. Will phone the original one tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 12-05-19, 08:12 PM   #6
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

Refilled at 88k blimey, they must have been putting in a tenner's worth at a time!

essay: https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/1306802-post2.html

The claim that the tank is dosed with the same fixed amount of additive every time the fuel cap is removed is disputed for newer cars. However, I haven't seen any evidence in support of this.

The filter itself eventually becomes blocked with ash. You can see in PP2K/Diagbox the amount of ash in the filter. I'm on 141g and I've seen a 2.7 V6 HDi on 163g that says it's 73% full.
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-19, 09:04 PM   #7

I can’t see the logic of diesel refill volume being a contributing factor, surely if the dosing rate is based on the number of fuel cap openings, the concentration of DPF fluid to fuel is wildly inaccurate, surely the regen process requires some level of tolerance on that concentration level? What’s PP2K/diagbox......how much would it cost me to check the saturation level do you think?

Is there no way to get a regen that ‘zeros’ the ash level so that the DPF always remains serviceable?

Last edited by dickiem; 12-05-19 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-05-19, 09:21 PM   #8
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

read the essay

I guess that from the engineers' point of view fixed dosing is sufficient to ensure that the minimum amount of catalyst required is present in the DPF at the time of regen.

PP2k/Diagbox is the dealer diagnostic software. Many members here have it (well, Chinese clone of the hardware and cracked version of the software, but it works).
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-19, 09:32 PM   #9

I’ll read ‘the essay’ 👍

How much is the PP2k/diagbox copy? Been watching a guy on YouTube who bought several ‘reputable’ code readers and reset tools and none worked.
Old 12-05-19, 10:07 PM   #10

DPF can last the life of the car i have had some with 400k miles still on original DPF

As the essay says you need to replace the fluid and filling £10 at a time will use fluid quicker AND lead to DPF clogging quicker but washing out then TELLING the car it has a new one is all thats needed it does not NEED a new 1 every 100k !
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in