P0420 - Ageing Cat Error - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-03-16, 09:43 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default P0420 - Ageing Cat Error

Hope someone can help. My 2009 308 1.6 Petrol failed its MOT in December on emissions so garage replaced CAT (with aftermarket one I think) and Lambda sensors. Prior to the MOT there were no errors displayed. Car worked fine for 2 months now it has come up with the infamous antipollution error with a P0420 code indicating ageing cat. With the error on, the engine runs a little lumpy and when the error is reset it runs fine again. Is it possible that within 3 months the car needs another cat? Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can do?
skenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-03-16, 11:42 AM   #2

I would check that you have no leaks in the exhaust from manifold down to rear of cat which could be letting in air.

Also maybe worth seeing what warranty came with the CAT and see if supplier can advise
Old 22-04-16, 08:33 AM   #3
Inactive User

Skenny,any update on your problem. I have similar after replacing cat and o2 6 months ago. Also notice overheating message on odd occasion when restarting from hot engine. Gauge goes back down almost immediately.
Regards
kookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 22-04-16, 10:54 AM   #4
Inactive User

Hi Kookie, yes I took the car back to the garage which installed the cat and they reran emissions and again it failed. In fact to the extend that it had screwed the cat. They did replace the cat under warranty but said that there must be a problem with the mixure and/or ignition sequence and unless it gets fixed, the new cat would fail again and this time they wouldn't cover it under warranty as the problem isn't with the cat but with the engine. I'm in a bit of a dilemma on what to do next. Based on the mileage (58k), I am looking to get the timing belt changed. Having read up on the antipollution issue, there could be a relationship between a worn or wrongly set timing belt and the o2 errors so getting the belt changed might fix the problem with the anti pollution problem. In any case, it would give the mechanics the responsibility and opportunity to get the o2 issue fixed.... fingers and toes crossed.... just a case now of getting the funds together for that job.
skenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-04-16, 12:21 PM   #5
Inactive User

Skenny, thanks for the reply. Took my (2008,vti,308) to the garage that fitted my cat and they checked the logged faults. In addition to the aging cat, there was a temp sensor and a possible timing fault. I think all this has started due to a faulty temp sensor which originally gave me poor starting from cold problems. The mech thinks that the timing fault is the result of the management system trying to adjust for the weak mixture. They checked the engine from cold and were getting a temp reading in the 40's, which would explain the weak mixture and poor start and the high gauge reading occasionally from a hot start. This was done at no charge (nice) and I'm waiting for an estimate on a new temp sensor fitment. They think it may need a new wiring loom locally as Peugeot found there were “problems“ with the originals.
Good luck.
kookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-04-16, 07:01 PM   #6
Inactive User

Hi there guys i have a 308 1.6 vti with similar problem changed cat plus both o2 and veriable valve timing soliniod. Have been reading up on the issue and thinking of changing the timing chain now as this seems to be a common problem with this year of car and millage.
mick7910 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in