Oil in the Air Filter - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-10-17, 05:42 PM   #1

Default Oil in the Air Filter

So after a long wait i finally got round to replacing my air and fuel filter this weekend on my 1.6hdi..

Everything went to plan thanks to Adrian Dragan from you tube for the tutorials - super useful.

I have noticed something however which has begun to worry me. When I was removing the hoses from the air filter box into the the turbo I noticed oil on the inside of the turbo.

I also noticed that there is a lot of soot on the outside of the turbo as can also be seen in the picture.

I figured that at the entrance of the turbo there should be no oil as only air should enter from this side. It was only when I removed the air filter did I realise the source of the oil in the turbo. The air filter was covered in oil!
  • Does anyone know what causes oil to get into the air filter box and more importantly how it is fixed?
  • What parts would be needed?
  • Is it a job for a home mechanic whose limits are filter changes?!?
  • How much should I expect to pay a garage to remedy it
  • Is the engine likely to blow up any day soon?!?!

Would I be right in thinking that the soot on the outside of the turbo is caused by the oil going into the turbo from the air filter box?

Any information from you guys would be of great comfort to me and most likely someone else in the future!
Attached Thumbnails
turbo-1.jpg   turbo.jpg   air-filter.jpg  
reastham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-10-17, 11:47 AM   #2

The engine breather exhausts into the air intake after the air filter and before the turbo, so some oil would be expected. Have you any idea how old that filter is? It does look bad.

We have soot on the outside of my wife's 1.6 hdi, and it comes from a poor joint between the turbo and exhaust. Managed to reduce it by smearing some exhaust repair putty round the joint under the clip. I think the turbo has been replaced on ours.
Old 31-10-17, 12:07 PM   #3

OK so after doing some research I believe the problem is to do with the crankcase ventilation system, oil is being forced into the airbox due to too much pressure building up inside the crank case. Tinterweb suggests a blocked PCV Valve is to blame..

So I have been looking to find the location of this valve and how to unblock it - with limited success...

I found the following thread which shows me where the location of this valve is, however I have been unable so far to figure out how to unblock it...

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...hdi-ok-174097/

Old 31-10-17, 12:15 PM   #4

Hi Brian, thanks for taking time to answer me.

I estimate the filter to be about 2 yrs old or 24000k. There seems to be plenty of images in this forum of soot round the turbo, but limited into on how to fix the problem...

When you say the join between the turbo and the exhaust do you mean on the outtake side of the turbo (left side as you look into the bonnet) and what its connected to?
Old 31-10-17, 12:30 PM   #5

I have just check the dip stick and I reckon it has used just under a litre of oil since I did an oil change 2 months ago
Old 07-11-17, 12:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilec View Post
The engine breather exhausts into the air intake after the air filter and before the turbo, so some oil would be expected. Have you any idea how old that filter is? It does look bad.

We have soot on the outside of my wife's 1.6 hdi, and it comes from a poor joint between the turbo and exhaust. Managed to reduce it by smearing some exhaust repair putty round the joint under the clip. I think the turbo has been replaced on ours.
Hi Brian,

I saw an advert on the telly last night for a company called Terraclean, who promise to decarbonise your engine.

I'm wondering if this would help?

https://www.terraclean.co.uk

Last edited by reastham; 07-11-17 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added link
Old 07-11-17, 07:59 PM   #7

If you think the engine has used about 1 litre of oil in two months, then you have a problem which no amount of decarbonisation will cure.
How many miles has the engine done? At 110k miles my wife's doesn't use any really between oil changes.

I have just changed the air filter too, it was black and sooty, but no oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in