Nice clean engine - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-13, 04:01 PM   #1
Inactive User

Smile Nice clean engine

Changed oil and filter yesterday on my 308 1.6 hdi 90. On David Ireland's advice I shopped around after some Total quartz ineo 5/30 C2. Couldn't get any so I used an oil recommended for Citroen/Peugeot also 5/30 low saps and C2 rating. I have always done my own servicing over the fourty years I have been driving. I did something that I have never done before and put a can of Wynns engine flush in and held it at 1500 revs for 15 mins. I let the oil drain out for a good 15 mins. after first unscrewing the filter 2 turns. Poured in new oil and changed filter, 30 miles on I checked the oil level and the oil is still clear on the dipstick, that's a first as it is usually black after a couple of minutes of running the engine. The last full tank of fuel I used (60 ltrs.) again I did something different and added 30mill. of low ash 2 stroke. The car does run smoother and when I toe it no smoke comes out the back like it did before. With it being a 90 engine it doesn't have a particle filter so low saps oil is nothing special but it runs better so I shall use the same in 6,000 miles, and am going to carry on with the 2 stroke oil mixed in with fuel. Still a slight rattle when cold but is due a cambelt change and the rattle seems to be from belt tensioner area or higher. Is there any way the cam shaft sprocket could be noisy? Is there some sort of damper on it or does it just fit directly to the cam shaft metal to metal?
Zoony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-13, 05:50 PM   #2
davidireland

Top end rattle can be chain rubbing off the cylinder head cover. Can also be dust on the timing belt causing squeaks. Belt not due till 120-150k. Have you that much on it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-13, 07:04 PM   #3
Inactive User

Default Nice clean engine

Hi David,car is a 59 plate with 77,000 on clock with full service history. I see that Peugeot recommends a belt change at 150,000 but reading my Haynes manual it says 80,000. I respect your advice as you do talk sense but how can I check out problem without taking belt off? Can I remove top half of cover and still run engine? If it is the chain can it be adjusted?

Last edited by Zoony; 11-04-13 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Missed a bit out

Old 11-04-13, 08:37 PM   #4
Inactive User

I think David is talking kilometres and Haynes is talking miles
Old 11-04-13, 09:25 PM   #5
davidireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinpac View Post
I think David is talking kilometres and Haynes is talking miles
Nope miles.

Old 11-04-13, 09:29 PM   #6
davidireland

Removing the cylinder head cover is an awful job. The cams are attached to the cyl head cover also.

Last edited by davidireland; 11-04-13 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 10:33 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidireland View Post
Nope miles.

Gee dont think I would feel comfortable leaving it that long
Old 12-04-13, 08:26 AM   #8
Inactive User

Default Cam belt

Last car was a Picasso with same engine as my Peugeot. Had belt changed at 120,000 and the garage said it was about the right time even though the belt was still in reasonable condition. I would like to run this engine to 100,000 plus before changing belt, but I am a bit concered about rattle. Might just book it in and have all pulleys checked along with belt change, and if needed new chain as well. Can't afford to have it break down on me.
Old 12-04-13, 01:42 PM   #9
davidireland

We've always did the belts on 1.6 at around 200,000km. Never had any problems.

Old 12-04-13, 02:35 PM   #10
Inactive User

Default Cam rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidireland View Post
We've always did the belts on 1.6 at around 200,000km. Never had any problems.

Thanks again mate, this irritating rattle does go away after a couple of miles or so. Probably keep running it if it gets no worse and have a good look when belt needs replacing. Wife says I'm trying to pick faults with it, mabe I am but I always try to get any car that I have running as near as perfect as is possible. Need to locate the hardboard insulation cover that fits over the back of air filter on to bulkhead, the original dropped to bits when I removed it to change pollen filter. Having trouble locating one, any ideas anyone. Thanks in advance. P.S. have tried local tat yards but none have any 308's in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in