Need to reset BSI but can't - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-11-15, 06:56 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Need to reset BSI but can't

Long story so I will put it in point form:

Picked up a second hand 308 XS Hdi from interstate and on last day before setting off home, the right rear indicator stopped working despite bulb being ok.
Auto electrician found a fault in the connector pins and tightened these up as well as pulling the wires out of the glove box & checking all the fuses. During this process the indicator started working normally again but I was left with a whole host of new problems listed below...
- Instrument display of time and date resets to flashing Jan 1st 2004 each time the ignition is switched on and if the time and date is set at that point, it resets again when the engine is started.
- The fuel economy (trip, l/100km, avg fuel consumption etc) resets to a previous setting which was the last setting before the problem started.
- Same with the trip meter above the odometer.
- Same with CD player and radio
- Remote central locking no longer works. I have checked the battery in the key and it has 3.08 volts, so OK.
- Occasionally when the ignition is turned on the windscreen wipers turn on in intermittent mode and the lights come on. This doesn't happen all the time.
- The key will start the car, but it won't re-initialise as per the instructions in the manual so I have no remote.

The instructions elsewhere on this site on how to reset the BSI involve pressing the unlock button on the key for 10 seconds and to check by locking & unlocking the doors. When I do this part of the sequence nothing happens and at the end of the sequence, the same problems exist.

I have re-checked all the fuses in the glovebox & engine compartment, made sure wires are firmly pushed into connectors. No change.

Can anyone help or do I need to go to a Peugeot service centre?
Thanks for listening...
BowenMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-11-15, 12:06 PM   #2

This is a real worry, can't help feeling the electrician has damaged something. If you are sure all the plugs are correctly back in place I would try a BSI reset, loads of posts on how to do it.

bsi reset - bsi reboot

If this doesn't restore the car back to health you need to get the electrician back to repair the damage done, my guess is one or more of the pins in the BSI circuit board have bent when one of the plugs was re-installed.
wynb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-11-15, 09:11 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried numerous times to reset the BSI but it doesn't work. I think that because the key remote doesn't register with the car, the process doesn't go to completion.

Where exactly is the BSI located? I can look at the module and see if there is any damage.

What I forgot to mention in my earlier post was that a mechanic also had a look at the problem first and he disconnected the battery a few times to try & reset the system, but didn't follow any waiting period protocols. This may have compounded the problem.

I can't take it back to the auto electrician as they are a 20 hour drive away. They are located where I bought the car and I am now at home...

Old 21-11-15, 10:09 PM   #4

Sounds like a permanent live feed is missing as everything you mention not working including central locking and displays rely on a permanent feed to retain memory.

Disconnecting the battery wont have done any harm the newer BSIs are better than the old ones simply disconnecting and reconnecting is all thats needed to reset
Old 22-11-15, 05:07 AM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks Reliable406. I was thinking along similar lines. But if this is the case, would the displays etc still work when the ignition is switched on if the live feed is missing, or is this a live feed just for the system memory?

I have looked through the fuse identification tables in the owners manual but I can't find any relating to system memory. In any case, all the fuses are ok.

You wouldn't happen to know which wire, presumably in the fuse box, feeds this system memory would you, then I could check it?

I thought about buying a workshop manual, but the guy at the auto shop said that they don't provide wiring diagrams.
Old 22-11-15, 04:48 PM   #6

Have you the handbook? Fuses are listed there, in our 807 fuse 4 in the BSI feeds the 'supply to functions via the BSI', the equivalent in yours would be a good place to start. BSI is probably above the accelerator pedal, access is terrible, consider unbolting the seat and moving it back without straining the wires to make life easier.
Check the engine fusebox fuses as well as there are a couple of large fuses (60 & 70A) that supply the BSI.
Peugeot Servicebox website will give you access to the car's wiring diagrams for a few euros, make sure your printer has plenty of ink but they are very difficult to decipher.
Old 22-11-15, 07:33 PM   #7
Inactive User

Thanks wynb. I did see maxi-fuses mf3 ang mf7, both labelled as Built-in Systems Interface and both 80A. I dismissed them as I thought that this was a lot of current for a cokputer interface. I wil try & find them as they are not shown. The handbok says that these are only to be worked on by Peugeot dealers...
Fuse F13 (engine compartment) is labelled BSI Supply (ignition positive) which I also dismissed as I think that I want ignition negative.
These are the only ones listed so I will double check them. Thanks again.
Old 23-11-15, 07:56 AM   #8

I don't think the fault is with the BSI, it's the permanent live to the radio etc that's causing the loss of memories as they are (except for the mileage which is duplicated in the BSI) stored in the individual components. Something like the 15A F4 fuse I described would be favourite.
If no luck with the fuses I guess you would need the BSI wiring diagram and work out how the display and radio receive their permanent live and then back probe the supply wire exiting the BSI to confirm it is live and go from there.
Let us know how you get on, where are you by the way?
Old 23-11-15, 08:33 AM   #9
Inactive User

Thanks again wynb.
All fuses in glovebox and engine compartment are ok so I will need to find permanent live wire... Watch this space...
I took a cover off below and to the right of the steering wheel. Behind this was the module sat on top of the accelerator pedal but nothing else that could be described as a BSI. Perhaps they have hidden it somewhere else on this car.

btw. I am in Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia.
Old 23-11-15, 01:19 PM   #10

Wow, hot sun, sharks, crocs (fresh and saltwater), insects and snakes some of which when they bite give you 2 minutes to live, awful lager.........must be tough out there but I wouldn't mind trying it, snow here on Saturday.
Not sure of the layout on a 308 but if the fuses are in/on the glovebox that should be the BSI.
Has it had an aftermarket radio fitted? They can cause all sorts of problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in