MOT fail on emissions. Please help - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 308 > 308 (2007-2014)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-07-17, 09:16 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default MOT fail on emissions. Please help

Hi. My 308 has failed its MOT on emissions (and two tires). It failed last year and I had a replacement cat put on which made it just pass. It's had the engine warning light on for over a year now. At first diagnostics said ageing cat (last year) and now it's saying upstream O2 sensor is faulty. Thing is the garage today said the engine is "tired" and I would most likely need a recon engine, as it burns oil (about a litre every two months/1000 miles or more ish). They said because the values are so high that replacing the O2 sensor wouldn't bring them down enough to pass the MOT. I'm gutted.

Any help or advice please?

Last edited by Newt182; 24-07-17 at 09:20 PM.
Newt182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-07-17, 07:21 AM   #2

Those CO figures are way too high, have you checked the air filter?
wynb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-17, 01:53 PM   #3

Default High emissions

I do not know for certain if this will help but I will have a go : try holding your car in lower gears and build up the speed , this could help to clear your problem . They may be some smoke when you do this .
I used to do this before an MoT , seemed to work .
amireal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-17, 03:55 PM   #4

The car is running rich check air filter as suggested, the coolant sensor and thermostat etc
Old 10-09-17, 06:22 PM   #5
pdg

Given it's been 6 weeks since the OP, it's probably a moot point by now...

But, failing an MOT on two tyres is indicative of a total lack of maintenance - if you can't spend 4 seconds checking a tyre what are the chances that the oil has even been checked, leave alone been replaced in a service?

At 62k I seriously doubt the engine is 'tired' - more like choked up to hell with an air filter that doesn't, oil that's sticky. My 1.6 petrol 306 had 174,000 miles on and it sailed the emissions...

A proper flush and service along with a 10 minute thrash would probably fix it (and if that was done last year it probably wouldn't have needed a new cat either).
pdg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in